Sage is offline Anabolic Member

Court Date (50mph in 30mph zone)

when the judge asks u how to plead.....do u basically just say "guilty with an explanation" is the officer is present in the courtroom (he cut me on the radar)........ i have a clean record, but am going without a lawyer.....looks like a 2pnt offense......

any suggestions on what to say.........i though i'd mention that “i was doing some mad overtime at work and was driving home all tired and etc........pay for my own tuition/ auto insurance/work part time ......let her know i can't afford points on my insurance and willing to go to driving school in necessary................I've been driving for over six years with clean driving record"............

Any suggestions?.................................

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Are you going to see a justice of peace?

clhp20 is offline Member
    I'd get an attorney, they know what to say, you can tell him everything, and he can explain it to the judge. What you have thought of is also good. they might be lenient on you if it is your first offense..

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Are you going to see a justice of peace?
    i am going to the Traffic Court tomorrow...........i guess u could call it that.............

Quote Originally Posted by clhp20
    I'd get an attorney, they know what to say, you can tell him everything, and he can explain it to the judge. What you have thought of is also good. they might be lenient on you if it is your first offense..
    attorneys are around $500 a pop............i was thinking to maybe take a chance on my own and if i get all or partial points get a lawyer when i am appealing.........i basically want no present myself good in front of the judge..............

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage
    attorneys are around $500 a pop............i was thinking to maybe take a chance on my own and if i get all or partial points get a lawyer when i am appealing.........i basically want no present myself good in front of the judge..............
    where the hell do you live??? 500.00?? its 60.00 here and you dont even have to appear in court. i've gotten off atleast a dozen tickets with an attorney and no points to date.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    where i live you go to the prosecutor and if you kiss his ass they will lower it so you get no points

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    If you live in the US then if the officer doesnt show up you already won. U could also question his means of clocking u. Ask if he tuned the radar before and after he used it. Its been awhile since i had to do this, so i dont remember everything. Your better off paying the $60 to a ticket clinic

Cmore is offline Associate Member
    The times I have been to court for tickets, the judge either talks to each person who is there for a speeding ticket individually and asks about whether you have had other tickets before, etc... And gives you the chance to take driving school. The school thing usually lasts a few hours, but only costs about $40-$60, and the ticket will not appear on your record. It's like it never happened. Another time I went (with my brother), the judge asked everyone who was there for speeding tickets to go into a separate sideroom and some secretary scheduled everyone that went for traffic school. He paid the money and left, just had to go back for the school.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    how did the cop get youre speed? did he clock you or did he use radar, if he used radar i would first ask when the last time the radar gun was callabrated. you could also try to put the offense on the good driving statute if you were driving for over 5 years. theres also a chance that the officer will pull a no show in the court room if this happens chances are you will get away with it, if this is youre first offense i would fight it till the death

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehoe
    If you live in the US then if the officer doesnt show up you already won. U could also question his means of clocking u. Ask if he tuned the radar before and after he used it. Its been awhile since i had to do this, so i dont remember everything. Your better off paying the $60 to a ticket clinic
    when you are going more than 20mph over the speed limit its reckless driving, and its a misdemeanor. There are no cops there when you make your plea, only if you say not guilty and it goes to trial will there be a cop present. I got one of those and it raped me in the ass. Id just tell the judge that yes you were speeding, but were only going like 42 or sumthing. If you give that story about work and school they wont give a fuk. Just try and lessen the blow.

Cmore is offline Associate Member
    Only if the cop marked on the page that it was reckless driving would it be considered reckless in court, as far as I know, at least nothing was said about mine. My time in court was for 72 mph in a 45, and the cop(was a state trooper) did not mark reckless driving. There were about 30 people in the court there for speeding tickets and the judge called us up to speak with him one by one. When I got there, he asked if I had had any tickets before. I said no, then he asked if I wanted to take the driving school. I said yes and then scheduled it with some secretary. Was nothing to it. I showed up the night of the traffic school, paid the $40, sat there and watched a couple videos and listened to some old man talk for 2.5 hours, then went home.

alphaman is offline Member
    Get a speedometer calibration. I got one that said my speedometer was correct, and the Judge saw it rolled up in my hand, and reduced my charge to improper driving! She didn't even look at it!

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536
    when you are going more than 20mph over the speed limit its reckless driving, and its a misdemeanor. There are no cops there when you make your plea, only if you say not guilty and it goes to trial will there be a cop present. I got one of those and it raped me in the ass. Id just tell the judge that yes you were speeding, but were only going like 42 or sumthing. If you give that story about work and school they wont give a fuk. Just try and lessen the blow.
    It would only be wreckless driving if the officer had charged him with it.

Bro how much is the ticket for?

Here in Canada we have whats called a "justice of peace" who meets with people on certain days of the week. You plead to the justice, if you say guilty, he lets you explain your current situation, and also the event in your own words. I had to go, I told him what happened (the truth) he dropped the charge to 30 bucks and gave me a month to pay it.. They take a lot of pity on students.. especially when in the same school he want to hahah

newbrew is offline Senior Member
    No nee for an attorney.

You either plead guilty or not guilty. If you plead not guilty you then have a court date set where you go up against the cop. If you please guilty you may want to come up with a sob story (not too cheezy) as sometimes it helps reduce the charge and/or fine.

I always plead not guilty. On more than 1 occasional the cop hasnt shown up...instant win.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    where the hell do you live??? 500.00?? its 60.00 here and you dont even have to appear in court. i've gotten off atleast a dozen tickets with an attorney and no points to date.
    i would pay three times that amount if i could find an attorney for that price in my area..................i am from MD btw...............

the officer clocked me going 50mph.....i was not charged with reckless driving...........he has also said if i have no prior points i will get probation..............but wtf does he know..........i would say that to some1 as well just to get them off my back especially if the person was twice my size.............

i'm just preparing my bs speech at the moment and hoping the officer will not show up tomorrow.........feel free to throw out some more suggestions .........

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I don't understand why you even have to go to court?

I always payed the fine and went to traffic school.

No court was ever mentioned.

~SC~

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    First off, dont offer up any bullsh!t explanations....

Ive had to make more than my share of court appearances over the years and I hear the same BS over and over, dumb excuses that will irritate the judge more... you broke the law, there is no way around it...

For traffic violations, I would just say nothing and when your name is called, the judge will offer to reduce your violation, but pay the same amount of the fine so the courts still get their money... it helps your insurance atleast...

When I was 16 i get pulled over for doing 30mph over... 6pts, judge agreed to change the ticket to "Failure to obey signal" which only carried a 3pt charge as long as a pleaded guilty and pay the 280$ that was originally charged on the ticket...

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    Just goin back and seein how things are elsewhere, some of you guys have some fcked up rules...

Makin you go to driving school?
    Probation for speeding?

Hell, in milwaukee (or i would assume any big city), the cop will NEVER show up to something so small

Good luck bro

harl is offline Associate Member
    Dont sweat it...its your 1st offence. They will slap you on the wrist and make you pay a donation to the court or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I don't understand why you even have to go to court?

I always payed the fine and went to traffic school.

No court was ever mentioned.

~SC~
    by simply paying the $140 fine, will result in two points being automatically added to the driving record which causes auto insurance premium to noticeably increase for a period of three years in MD.............

looks like every state may have a different way of dealing with traffic citations..........here, u must either appear in court and fight it off with probation -or- pay the fine by mail which assumes u r guilty and take a hit on drastic increase in premium for the next three years......................

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    do some more research on ticket clinics. there have to be some in your state. if not i am moving there and i'll open one. the guy i use makes 100's of thousands of dollars 60.00 at time clearing tickets. I have some as bad as 105 in the 45mph and no points on my record and worst i ever got was traffic school and 200.00 fine. he guarantees no points thats all that matters. all he does 90% of the time is postpone and postpone and postpone until the cop doesnt show. It takes almost 8 months until i get a letter saying withheld adjudication and the fine amount or traffic school. i never have to appear either so lost $$$ from work.

i don't mind paying the fine nor court cost...................just hope the judge would be human about the situation and not assign any points my way.........i will update more info. on the outcome..................

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    do some more research on ticket clinics. there have to be some in your state. if not i am moving there and i'll open one. the guy i use makes 100's of thousands of dollars 60.00 at time clearing tickets. I have some as bad as 105 in the 45mph and no points on my record and worst i ever got was traffic school and 200.00 fine. he guarantees no points thats all that matters. all he does 90% of the time is postpone and postpone and postpone until the cop doesnt show. It takes almost 8 months until i get a letter saying withheld adjudication and the fine amount or traffic school. i never have to appear either so lost $$$ from work.
    i did make a mistake not postponing the trial, otherwise odds would be in my favor for the officer not to be present in the courtroom.............i never knew such things existed in the reference to ticket clinics.........i will definitely look into it for the future reference bro..................

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    i have a method i use...if the cop doesnt happen to be someone i know or a friend of a friend kinda thing

first, postpone the trial. here they let you do it 1x.

then, plead not guilty.

they will set you another trial.

postpone that, they will let you do it 1x

then go in. hope hes not there..lol

so far, everytime i have gotten pulled to the side by the clerk and paid a defferement. like 100 bux and as long as i get no more tickets in 6 months it disapears.

if he is there, you could try to ask for a contuniation to get a lawyer. dunno how that works though..been lucky the 3 times ive had to use brave it out

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    with so many replies to a traffic thread I'm not going to read them just throw in my two cents.

Unless you were in a school zone or are under age I don't know why you are even going to court for such a ticket. If you do go plead 'nolo contendere' which basically means no contest. meaning you do not dispute the charges but aren't pleading guilty. You do not need a lawyer under these circumstances save your money.

I have gotten several 20+ & 30+ tickets before and never went to court. I've only been to court one time for speeding and that was 100+ in 65. They took me to jail and I had to get a court date.

in summary, just go in, plead no contest, and pay the fine. done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    i have a method i use...if the cop doesnt happen to be someone i know or a friend of a friend kinda thing

first, postpone the trial. here they let you do it 1x.

then, plead not guilty.

they will set you another trial.

postpone that, they will let you do it 1x

then go in. hope hes not there..lol

so far, everytime i have gotten pulled to the side by the clerk and paid a defferement. like 100 bux and as long as i get no more tickets in 6 months it disapears.

if he is there, you could try to ask for a contuniation to get a lawyer. dunno how that works though..been lucky the 3 times ive had to use brave it out
    i wish some of that luck u got going will literally rub off on me next time........hehe........in MD ones u show up in court and the officer is there and you plead not guilty the trial starts that same moment to prove your case.....a guy right after me made that plea and the trial began.......I did not stick around to see the end result since they send me to pay the fine….......must be nice in your neck of the woods with a flexible traffic system and all.................

court started at 11:00am......looked on the list in the lobby my name was close to being the last one...........in the courtroom set in the back and was hoping to take down some notes of what other people were saying before i get called...........see the officer who pulled me over right there on the dot with a whole stack of citations........as soon as i saw him, i had to go to plan B........prior to trial i saw some mothers of teenagers were trying to make it all good with the officer.........didn't see myself doing that................

Trial began, first guy's name was called, he was no show..........all of a sudden i hear the judge announce my name.........i was not ready since the lobby list had me to being all the way at the end..................

judge- u've been charged with bluh bluh bluh, how do u plead
    sage- guilty with explanation
    judge- state ur plea
    sage- i've been driving for over six years without any traffic violations nor speeding tickets........I drive on the daily bases to school and work.......i pay for my own tuition and auto insurance....
    judge- where do u go to school
    sage- bluh bluh, i am also willing to go to driving school if necessary
    judge- i c u have a clean driving record and here by offer you a probation before the judgment.......will you accept this judgment
    sage- yes sir
    judge- ur fine is $140 including the court cost and no pints will be added to ur driving record
    sage- thank you ur honor

i paid the fine, drove home, as promised hit u guys up with end result of my trial and off to chinese buffet to celebrate the victory if u wanna call it that.....................

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    congrats man

Big relief bro.. Whats the prohbation?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    congrats man
    thanks billy..........now let me get a peice of that sandwitch.............

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Big relief bro.. Whats the prohbation?
    from what i've been told......drive clean for six months.........if get cited again within the probation period.......previous points will be added to additional points of the new speeding ticket.............i'll just lay off the gas pedal for a while............

Thread Information