g_2
    g_2 is offline New Member

Thesis Research Project

Hey there all. I’m looking for some inspiration... I need to select a topic for thesis project. My field of study is Phamacogenomics, but my research work is going to be in Cell and Molecular Biology.

Basically, if you could have research done for you (or you could research anything you wanted), what would it be? What kinds of questions with AAS would you research?

For the most part, it’s not too difficult for me to justify an AAS research topic. I’ve have a noted interest expressed in human performance, but a lot of what is talked about here can also be applied to patients with dehabilitating or wasting diseases.

Anyways, any ideas would be great. And it goes without saying, whenever I finish whatever I do, it’ll be posted here... Thanks in advance.

darmadoc is offline Member
    What the hell is phamacogenomics?

g_2
    Quote Originally Posted by darmadoc
    What the hell is phamacogenomics?
    Lol.... Basically, it's a cross between Pharmacology and Genetics. It's the examination of how inherited genetic differences in people affect individualized response to drug therapies. Here's sort of a primer on the subject:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/About/primer/pharm.html

By the way, I should note that I'm not looking for "technical" suggestions. We all have different backgrounds on here, and I'd love to just get some random thoughts/questions. I can figure out how to turn the ideas into technical justifications. It's like I've spent the past few years with all kinds of ideas, and now that I have the opportunity to exploit them, my mind's a blank! I think they call this writer's block...

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member

JK! I have NO knowledge about the psychoblah blah

g_2
    I had a feeling those new smiley faces were going to bite me on this one...

GQSuperman is offline Banned

thesis

ah, i'm finishing up the writing on my PhD thesis right now.....molecular and integrative physiology....i study reproduction...specifically molecular regulators of oocyte maturation in regards to causes of chromosomal birth defects.

i remember for my undergrad thesis i wanted to study effects of creatine with alcohol on the kidneys/liver. at the time everyone kept preaching how creatine fvcked up your liver and kidneys. i figure the average college student drank and all of my buddies who played football with me took creatine also. i found a guy who did alcohol research, but he focused on effects on brain lipids..using baby chicks as his model. i wanted to use mice, but he didn't want to invest the time or money.

it would have been something simple since i was an undergrad...simply setting up the treatments and controls and comparing histology or weights and then something a little more molecular such as fatty acid content or some other endpoint measurement...perhaps some enzyme activity etc that is more reflective of liver and or kidney function.
    Last edited by GQSuperman; 05-11-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Thread Information