Thread: Cardio Question

BryckHouse is offline New Member

Exclamation Cardio Question

I have a quick cardio question...I have always heard cardio sessions for around 45-60 minutes give you the best fat burn. I run 3 miles 5 days a week but it doesn't take me that long, but its not like i'm taking it easy either, its a tough 3 miles. My question is whether i should slow down the pace to take long or if this is good, because I would be able to hold this pace for 45 minutes, or after i go the 3 could i walk the rest until around 45 minutes???

Thanks In Advance Guys

BryckHouse

Jenna is offline Female Member
    My suggestion would be to extend the time of doing cardio rather than the intensity. I think you'd burn more fat running 45 minutes at a 7.0 mph pace than 20 minutes at a 8.5 pace....

<<<< JENNA >>>>

Thanks Thats what I figured but I like to make sure with the people who know more than i do.

Hoopwxf is offline Female Member
    I believe in keeping your heart rate between 50-60% of max. Fat is a slow burning fuel, going harder than this then the body will search for carbs to supply quick energy, if there is none, will burn protein or worse still will break down muscle tissue to supply the necessary fast fuel. Approx max heart rate = 220 - your age.
    You are the master of your body, take control and sculpt it.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    I'd always heard the most important thing was to get in your Target heart range. Once there the longer you can go the better. If you need to know how to calculate your heart rate see Tobey's response here.

Calculate Heart Rate

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Also what you want to accomplish is to get to your "second wind". When you hit that point, your body begins to use the stored fat as energy, instead of the readily available carbohydrates.

Mrs. T is offline Female Member
    My husband runs 3-5 miles every day, 30-45 minutes depending on the distance, but he can't keep up in my cardio class. For a RUNNER to achieve the same effect, they would have to run X amount of distance, sprint x amount, run X amount.
    Mrs. T
    "We can change the world when we change ourselves. And the energy of our consciousness, like the energy of all light, continues into the eternity. When there is light in the soul there will be beauty in the person. When there is beauty in the person there will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home there will order in the nation. When there is order in the nation there will be peace in the world."
    - Chinese Proverb

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    you are doing more of a cardiovascular training session than a fat burner. maybe do your run and then switch to the precore machine for 20-30mins.

So I should switch up between running and other cardio outlets in the same session?

BryckHouse

ripped_82 is offline Member
    In my opinion it has nothing to do with time/how long. In order to burn fat and not sacrafice muscle, manu studies have shown that running between 60-70% of your max heart rate will burn fat and keep on muscle.

RATM is offline Senior Member
    imo, it seems to me that 2 things would affect your fat loss the most. time of day and total calories burned. assuming that your diet and supplementation/gear is in order, then i believe that doing cardio first thing in the morning is the best. your body will ahve very low sugar stores and will utilize fat as an energy source better. also, imo, total calories burned HAS to be more than calories consumed or, by logic, you will not lose weight. hope this helps

Thread Information