Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    newbrew is offline Senior Member

Colt .45 or Glock 30?

Both .45 cal guns.

I learned to shoot with the Colt .45 and absolute love the gun. Thing is, it seems nearly impossible to find a decent deal on one. I'd want one like the one I learned on, medium brown grip, gold emblem.

On another note, I usually hate the Glock, but I'd be willing to check a few out and see how I like the Glock 30.

Choices choices

very similar to the gun I am looking for....
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976453986.htm

This is actually almost identical, except the hammer:
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976564012.htm

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    you have good taste in pistols. i dont own any glocks, but have 2 colts, 1 remington rand and 2 ithacs all ww11 eras. the colt 45s are antiquated. get a pistol in double action. may i suggest, a baretta cougar. its double action only, high capacity mag, and no safeties at all. just point and pull the trigger, just like a revolver, idot proof. i also have several ballaster mollinia 45s { colt clones}that were made in argentina, on colt toolings, during the war. they go for about 200.00 or close to it, if you must have an antiqated firearm and want to have that style, they are a good bang for the buck.

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    ..if possible , I'd try to find a Sig P220 or H-K USP21....I also have a Colt officer's ACP lightly modified with a few items from King's....nothing wrong with a 1911A1 style setup..

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgone
    ..if possible , I'd try to find a Sig P220 or H-K USP21....I also have a Colt officer's ACP lightly modified with a few items from King's....nothing wrong with a 1911A1 style setup..
    hk usp .45 full size are nice but pricey, springfield 1911's, and the sigs are very nice also

Sta11ion is offline Member
    I was going to say the same thing, it barely has a kick back for such a high caliber gun. Very impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    hk usp .45 full size are nice but pricey, springfield 1911's, and the sigs are very nice also

Iceman911 is offline Associate Member
    I own a glock 34 comp. gun. I shoot regularly and the gun works great. However if you got the $$$$$buy an STI. It can't be beat. But for a work horse of a gun go with the glock......

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    I have never seen a gun... Appenently they discontinued them in Canada....

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a 1911 colt .45 and love it, but it is large and doesnt hold many rounds. Im looking at this gun... its a 1911 clone sub-compact that im going to carry on me.

Quote Originally Posted by captain5214
    you have good taste in pistols. i dont own any glocks, but have 2 colts, 1 remington rand and 2 ithacs all ww11 eras. the colt 45s are antiquated. get a pistol in double action. may i suggest, a baretta cougar. its double action only, high capacity mag, and no safeties at all. just point and pull the trigger, just like a revolver, idot proof. i also have several ballaster mollinia 45s { colt clones}that were made in argentina, on colt toolings, during the war. they go for about 200.00 or close to it, if you must have an antiqated firearm and want to have that style, they are a good bang for the buck.
    The reason for having such a desire for the Colt is mostly due to sentimental value. If I cant get one completely identical to the one I grew up on, then I would probably be more interested in a more modern up to date design. If I go with a modern pistol I will probably go with a gun that doesnt have the traditional style hammer, like the Glock. Why? Hell if I know...I suppose its because I am clueless about guns (other than handling/shooting them). I like the 'look' of the glock...I am sure thats all the wrong reason to chose a gun. Also, most of what I need/want a gun for is personal protection. I hear the Glock is an excellent combat gun.

What do you think of the XD guns?
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl.shtml

cjp85 is offline Member
    I have a Glock 21 which is basicly the Glock 30 with a longer Slide and a longer handle. It's a very accurate gun and has never jammed on me once. Things to consider about Colt 45's(1911's); some are made for bullseye shooting and some are made for carry and reliability. A lot of the high-end 1911's are built with very tights tollerances for accuracy, which is nice for a bullseye shooter, but after it gets a little grimey, jamming can be an issue. If it's something you plan on betting your life on, you can get something a little more loose that will be accurate for any shot you would need unless in a competition and will be more reliable. As for the Glock, it's nice to have a gun the can be taken appart into 34 pieces in less than 10 minutes by an ape where a 1911 should never be more than field stripped if you don't know what you are doing. The Glock 30 can also hold 10 rounds in the mag(or 13 if you use a Glock 21 mag) where a 1911 can only hold 7 or 8. The finish on Glocks are the toughest you will find on any gun, but are ugly compared to a hand built 1911.
    I'd suggest looking through the phonebook and finding a few ranges that rent pistols so you can try them side by side. Good luck bro.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    to justin sane....yall cant have guns in canada? do only the crooks gotem? what about yall street gangs, what they use? sticks and stones? lol to hung-so, both are fine weapons, like my old buddy tells me: they are cheap guns and they are good guns, but, they aint no good cheap gun. to new brew...the only springfield armoreys i got or both rifles, 1- m-1 garand ( oct 44) and 1 m-1a1. as far as ergonomics in pistols go....my 1938 luger (all matching ,all markings intact and no import markings) is the best pointing pistol i own. but as for my choice in personal pertection goes in a hand gun its my .44 charter arms revolver. just to big for concealed carry. for that i use my american arms 5 shot revolver in .22 mag, i have a wallet holster it fits in, and the first shot can be discharged with out it coming out of the wallet. wish a bad guy would say...stickem-up and give me your wallet. good luck in finding your dream machine...........charlie r

SwoleDave is offline Associate Member
    why the glock 30? why not the G21 (full size)

Or you could go with the new GAP.45 round. They fit sweet in your hand. A buddy of mine just got one. I was very envious and it made my G21 look like a boat ancor (sp?)

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    shoot them both.. they don't feel anything alike.. that's what is most important..

get a kimber in the .45
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

harl is offline Associate Member
    Glock all the way...go with the .40, its the perfect round.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleDave
    why the glock 30? why not the G21 (full size)

Or you could go with the new GAP.45 round. They fit sweet in your hand. A buddy of mine just got one. I was very envious and it made my G21 look like a boat ancor (sp?)
    Well, the glock 30 still holds 10 rounds and is a tad bit more compact.

What is this GAP .45 round you are speaking of? link/pics?

here we go...

Glock 30 w/ lasermax built in laser light

Quote Originally Posted by newbrew
    Well, the glock 30 still holds 10 rounds and is a tad bit more compact.

What is this GAP .45 round you are speaking of? link/pics?
    The .45 GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) is a new round developed by glock.

It allows for a .45 projectile to fire from a frame the size of around a 9mm.

It's basicly a cut off .45 round that is pack at a different pressure than a traditional .45 ACP.

Here's a little about it w/ some pics...

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/...ock37,,00.html

I didnt realize Glock had a 38 model. Its a compact version of the 37...something I may look into

I didnt realize Glock had a 38 model. Its a compact version of the 37...something I may look into
    You also may want to consider a Springfield XD. That's my next gun.

You also may want to consider a Springfield XD. That's my next gun.
    Yea, I was looking into those. Nice looking pieces. Do you know much about those when compared to Glock? they do seem to be a tad bit cheaper in price

aminophiliac is offline Junior Member
    despite my avatar, i would go with the 1911. the grip of a glock in 45 can get a little fat for my taste and i think every real gun owner should own a 1911. springfield armory is great for what you pay and is what i may get when i can save up some cash, but the kimbers give me wet dreams!

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldnt carry anything other than a glock for personal protection. if its targets practice and for fun then the colt is a nice gun as are many 1911's. for ptotection though the only thing i trust my life with is a point and shoot glock!! Always chambered and ready to go. My favorite hanguns all around hands down are the HK USP and P2000. Nothing is as sweet shooting as a Silenced HK USP tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by aminophiliac
    despite my avatar, i would go with the 1911. the grip of a glock in 45 can get a little fat for my taste and i think every real gun owner should own a 1911. springfield armory is great for what you pay and is what i may get when i can save up some cash, but the kimbers give me wet dreams!
    they make a more narrow grip .45 now called the glock 36. Its a single stack .45.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    they make a more narrow grip .45 now called the glock 36. Its a single stack .45.
    Iw as looking at that one, only problem with that is the fact that it is only holds 6

I think I am leaning more towards the XD guns. probably the .40, perhaps the .45 GAP (only problem with the GAP is the cost of ammunition and availability)

I also like the fact that the XD has the safety on the grip..makes nice for carrying.

This same frame is .40 or .45 GAP:

Iw as looking at that one, only problem with that is the fact that it is only holds 6

I think I am leaning more towards the XD guns. probably the .40, perhaps the .45 GAP (only problem with the GAP is the cost of ammunition and availability)

I also like the fact that the XD has the safety on the grip..makes nice for carrying.

This same frame is .40 or .45 GAP:
    they make clip ext to get more in. i would never carry that xd 9. I have shot it from a holster and if not drawn perfect it wont shoot. it has to be flush in your palm. if i had to shoot someone that was wrestling it from me that would suck.Glock... draw, point, shoot . if there are more steps it a step closer to you dying is the way i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by captain5214
    to justin sane....yall cant have guns in canada? do only the crooks gotem? what about yall street gangs, what they use? sticks and stones?
    Actually, we don't have ANY guns... NOT ONE!!! can you believe that??? We supply out street hoodlums with hockey sticks and flying hockey pucks. Hey, did you hear... they JUST took the word gullible out of the dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Sane
    Actually, we don't have ANY guns... NOT ONE!!! can you believe that??? We supply out street hoodlums with hockey sticks and flying hockey pucks. Hey, did you hear... they JUST took the word gullible out of the dictionary.
    hey dont laugh they did that in several countries. took the guns away door to door and they have the highest crime rates in the world. one was australia.

hey dont laugh they did that in several countries. took the guns away door to door and they have the highest crime rates in the world. one was australia.
    really?? I guess you learn a new thing everyday.

Well, I got a chance to play around with an XD gun, I am sold. First of all, the glock 30 is out the door. grip is way too short. Its made for the hands of a chubby woman. Unless, I suppose, you need a concealed weapon.

The XD has basically a perfect grip and feel. Balance is great. 1 more thing for the x-mas list....

cjp85 is offline Member
    Well, I got a chance to play around with an XD gun, I am sold. First of all, the glock 30 is out the door. grip is way too short. Its made for the hands of a chubby woman.
    Did you handle o e with the magazine grip extension? They help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    Did you handle o e with the magazine grip extension? They help a lot.

hmm, that would have made a difference actually. I didnt like it simply because my pinky wasnt actually on the grip, otherwise it would have been nice.

I think I am sold on the XD tho

i wouldnt choose an Xd over a glock simply because your pinky doesnt stay on grip. they make a pinky extension for that. 1st time you try to fire that gun rapid fire at the range and it doesnt fire after a few rounds cause your hand is not on that gay safety remember i told you it sucked.

i wouldnt choose an Xd over a glock simply because your pinky doesnt stay on grip. they make a pinky extension for that. 1st time you try to fire that gun rapid fire at the range and it doesnt fire after a few rounds cause your hand is not on that gay safety remember i told you it sucked.
    Actually, Springfield ripped that safety off of the more expensive para-ordinance weapons which are still praised for the innovation. I personally love glocks, I own a G21, but I really like the way the XD feels in my hand.

I'm torn between the XD in the 3 inch barrel, and the Walther P99 compact.

any thoughts on the P99c?

Actually, Springfield ripped that safety off of the more expensive para-ordinance weapons which are still praised for the innovation. I personally love glocks, I own a G21, but I really like the way the XD feels in my hand.

I'm torn between the XD in the 3 inch barrel, and the Walther P99 compact.

any thoughts on the P99c?
    the para ordinance ones are a 1911 style if i am not mistaken and i wouldnt really consider these for personal protection. The p99 isnt a bad shooting gun but I'm sorry i just cant see past the glocks. I have owned one in every caliber except .45 gap. The only other hand guns i have owned were HK and they are truly the best made guns i have ever shot. The new p2000 is an awesome gun. I got rid of it though cause the trigger pull is just to heavy in double action. Oh and i have a silenced walther p22. For rodent control of course...

Btw.. there are 3 things every glock should have. Lightened trigger, ext. slide release, and steel night sights. The majority of police agencies carry them for a reason.

the para ordinance ones are a 1911 style if i am not mistaken and i wouldnt really consider these for personal protection. The p99 isnt a bad shooting gun but I'm sorry i just cant see past the glocks. I have owned one in every caliber except .45 gap. The only other hand guns i have owned were HK and they are truly the best made guns i have ever shot. The new p2000 is an awesome gun. I got rid of it though cause the trigger pull is just to heavy in double action. Oh and i have a silenced walther p22. For rodent control of course...

Btw.. there are 3 things every glock should have. Lightened trigger, ext. slide release, and steel night sights. The majority of police agencies carry them for a reason.
    Yeah, the para's are the 1911 style, but I was only refering to the grip safety. I do agree with you on the glocks and H&K (although all I've ever fired in an H&K is an MP5). I do use my G21 as a primary home defense weapon since I am very comfortable with it and i have a tac light/lazer mounted on it, and the incapacitation times for a .45 hydrashock round is about 11 seconds, which is very hard to beat.

Right now I'm looking for a smaller pistol in a 9mm and I want something a little different from a glock.

Monsoon says is offline Associate Member
    You should get a Desert Eagle .50 cal.

cjp85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsoon says
    You should get a Desert Eagle .50 cal.
    If he plans on anchoring a cruise ship.

Quote Originally Posted by cjp85
    If he plans on anchoring a cruise ship.

agreed.. they are sick guns.. no need for it though. Espcecially when you have a real .50 cal bmg rifle

Is the safety on the XD similar to the 1911/colt .45 at all? My Colt doesnt have any problem during rapid fire, but it also appears to be a bit bigger/different style than the XD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information