Big Rush is offline The Juice Man

Buying a motocycle (crotch rocket)..narrowed down to 2...advice needed!!!

Okay, so I have never owned a bike before. My budget is around $4K. I want something used with maybe slight cosmetic damage to help bring down the price. I went to the local Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha dealership and sat on several bikes. I hated the low handle bars on the 600cc Ninja's (sorry, don't remember many model numbers). I actually like the feel of the Ninja 250cc bikes, but I want AT EAST a 500cc. So, with the look/price/comfort ratio I think I have it narrowed down to 2 bikes...

Suzuki SV650

Suzuki GS500

Here is a link of the GS500 I am watching on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...4551586049&rd=1

Any advice on these 2 bikes from you guys would be greatly appreciated. I am almost totally in the dark when it comes to making a decision like this. Thanks in advance.

GETINLARGE is offline Junior Member
    buy the sv 650 it will eat the 500 all day, i was a motorcycle mechanic for 9 yrs on the east coast. i have riden every sport bike out there and the sv was my bike of choice of all the bikes in our shop. the sv is the best bang for the buck hands down.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro,

Ya gotta do at least 600cc's or you'll never be happy!

Glock-19 is offline Banned
    Id go with the 650 if that were my choices. My buddy died on a Hurricane 600.

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    sv650 all the way

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Whatever you buy, make damn sure you take the Motocycle Safety Rider's Class. Most dealerships will be happy to tell you when and where these classes are conducted, and they will probably save your butt more than once.

The other thing to check out is the "Hurt Report." Some guy checked out 900 or so motorcycle wrecks and figured out what sort of rider is most likely to end up in an accident or killed, and those are the folks with less than 6 months riding experience, don't have the MSF rider's class, have no license, no helmet, and no insurance. Oh, and ride crotch rockets.
    http://www.canyonkings.com/Hurtreport.htm

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    the sv650 hands downs over a gs500 but i wouldnt call it a crotch rocket. i would say your better off finding an 01 600 gsxr . they should be in that price range by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Mike
    the sv650 hands downs over a gs500 but i wouldnt call it a crotch rocket. i would say your better off finding an 01 600 gsxr . they should be in that price range by now.
    thats the thing about the sv650...its a good looking bike, just not as spoety as i like...i am still leaning towards the sv650...seems like everyone and there mother recommends that for a starter bike

harl is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Joe
    Bro,

Ya gotta do at least 600cc's or you'll never be happy!

Yah that and , the public humiliation from riding around on a ninja 250. Just go out and get that new 05 gsxr 1000

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Huh . . . used to be (back in the 70's) a 175 was a good starter bike, 350cc plenty big for anyone, and 750's about as much as any daredevil would want. But times change . . .
    My Vulcan 500 would go 115 mph without straining, but geez, at that speed there's not much chance for steering, not much chance of surviving a fall, and not much sense in going any faster. But if ya gotta, well, I guess ya gotta . . .
    -Tock

GOATNUTS is offline Member
    i would go with the 650...or dare to save up some more and get the gsx1300r - hayabusa

topvega is offline Anabolic Member
    650 at least... 250 is not a bike it's a moped.... jmo..

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Go with the sv.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    good luck to you, and take heed to tocks advice. hope i dont see you "on" the streets later bro charlie r

Italion Stallion07 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kloter1
    sv650 all the way
    i agree

FinaGuy is offline Associate Member
    Those are the 2 uglyest and cheapest bikes eva...IMO

if 4 grand is your budjet get a cbr 600f4i... noway you can go wrong with them there great all asround eat turns and can be great stunt bikes... infact there one of the best stunt bikes IMO.

650 and 500??? why? Thats all i have to say...

justin2305 is offline Senior Member
    dude if ur looking at suzukis just go with the gsxr600, my bud has one and its the $hit

FinaGuy is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justin2305
    dude if ur looking at suzukis just go with the gsxr600, my bud has one and its the $hit

not a big fan of the gsxr 600, but the f4i is deff great bike... wish i didint sell mine

spud is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tock
    Whatever you buy, make damn sure you take the Motocycle Safety Rider's Class. Most dealerships will be happy to tell you when and where these classes are conducted, and they will probably save your butt more than once.

The other thing to check out is the "Hurt Report." Some guy checked out 900 or so motorcycle wrecks and figured out what sort of rider is most likely to end up in an accident or killed, and those are the folks with less than 6 months riding experience, don't have the MSF rider's class, have no license, no helmet, and no insurance. Oh, and ride crotch rockets.
    http://www.canyonkings.com/Hurtreport.htm
    Paramedics, cops, and firefighters look at the odometer when they respond to M/C crashes to see how new the rider was.

There are old riders, bold riders, but few old and bold riders.

busster is offline Associate Member
    wharever bike you choose congrats...

my only advice is take a motorcycle safety course..

and ride safe bro... dont be a statistic

jimihendryx is offline Associate Member
    The sv's one of the best all around bikes out there. Not really a crotch rocket... just looks like one.

Grunty, good low end and torque, and the more upright position make it a better all around bike than the crotch rockets. It's good for twisties, around town, highway, etc.

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Of those two bikes, I would def go with the SV. For that money, I would look for an R6 or a GSXR 750.

thanks for the advice...any other ideas?

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    i would look for a used r6, but i'm biased i've had an r1 for about 6 yrs now and love it... but any of the 600 would do. do your homework sit on them all, ride them if you can. good luck shopping......... here's a pic of my baby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Buying a motocycle (crotch rocket)..narrowed down to 2...advice needed!!!-720x540_dscn3683.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    i would look for a used r6, but i'm biased i've had an r1 for about 6 yrs now and love it... but any of the 600 would do. do your homework sit on them all, ride them if you can. good luck shopping......... here's a pic of my baby.

nice bike bro!!

i think i have decided on a silver and black SV650...sharp looking bike!!

Sta11ion is offline Member
    SV650 has a v- twin, if you are into having torque at low speed and high. For the 500 its a straight four more smooth and a lot less vibration occuring in the frame. The sv650 has better suspension then the 500 also. In the end first time rider the 500 would be a better choice. Its smoother and simpler. The sv650 almost has a little over 20 horses more too.

jimihendryx is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, it's really a matter of whether you only are interested in being a speed demon at all times or if you want any sort of real world practicality. SV is an immensely practical bike, but not a true crotch rocket if that's what you're looking for.

It's also ugly as sin unless you go for the silver one a couple years back... A belly pan and a couple minor mods, maybe new lifted exhaust kit, and it's a killer. Faring kits don't work for me, cuz it looks like a naked bike with a faring kit bolted on... but if you get the silver one, the oddball frame fits well with the bodywork, so it all looks right from stock... except for the lack of a bellypan with the pipes stickin' out.

Unless you're one of those folks who prefers something that seems like it runs on batteries... If you're looking for silky smooth, ultra quiet, no vibration, sv is not for you... go with inline 4, but you'll lose a lot of low end if you do.

If you're like me, MOST of your riding is around town which means stopping and starting, and the torque on the sv is a real advantage... and the riding position is a lot more sensible... less chiropractic bills after riding around town.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Have you sat on an SV? I personally found it high!! Get a a 600 of some sort, aka gsxr, ninjay, r6, f4 etc! Go a couple years older!

gixxer600 is offline Member
    At least a GSX-R 600. I ride the "Alstare". I'm more than happy with it!! Insurance used to a$$ rape me the first year I had it. (Its really amazing what scanners can do these days!!)

Thread Information