Whoisdaman is offline Senior Member

salary requirements...?

So i've been laying around on my ass unemployed for what seems forever. I finally got my ass in gear and sent out resumes. I got a lady that called me and wanted to interview, and she asked what my salary requirements were. I remember from past experience that saying "don't care" or "whatever you think" is bad, but going to high or low is bad too. I told her an estimate that seemed reasonable for me and I didn't get the best response. I think I said a number that was too low, which sucks for me. What would you have done in this situation? I just need a job and some money, I can't keep paying for cycles off of student loans and by draining my savings account.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Either I would have had researched what that type of position payed, or told her market value........ it's tricky because of just what you stated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Either I would have had researched what that type of position payed, or told her market value........ it's tricky because of just what you stated.
    well, I went well below what the actual position should pay because most of the estimates I know of are for college grads... which deserve much more money. It's an opportunity to even get a job like this as a college student (its a web design position BTW). I've worked in this type of job for years, but since im in need of money and a job, I went below what I used to make... not by much but I was getting underpaid before also. Oh well, she still is gonna let me have the interview tomorrow anyways. Maybe its not that bad.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoisdaman
    well, I went well below what the actual position should pay because most of the estimates I know of are for college grads... which deserve much more money. It's an opportunity to even get a job like this as a college student (its a web design position BTW). I've worked in this type of job for years, but since im in need of money and a job, I went below what I used to make... not by much but I was getting underpaid before also. Oh well, she still is gonna let me have the interview tomorrow anyways. Maybe its not that bad.
    If a employer is willing to interview you and they know you do not have a college degree then maybe it really isn't a requierment......... also just because someone has a college degree doesn't mean they have more experiance then you and deserve more money.............. that is where the line is divided in positions like these experiance....... I could see if you were going for a high level managment position then the degree would be one of the requirments.......

Good luck on the interview.

Scrub is offline Member
    I had a problem like that once before. I thought I was giving the guy a slightly lower number than average but it wound up being too much money for their company. Anyway, since than I found a job that will pay me more than the national average so I'm glad I didn't go with this other company anyway. I hate it when they just don't tell you roughly how much they a willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    Good luck on the interview.
    thanks bro, I actually feel really good about this one.. but we'll see. I'll put an update tomorrow after the interview.

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    I've been contracting for 9 yrs in IT, I usually give a high number and say "negotiable".

PrimoPup is offline Associate Member
    If you do not have a degree and you know your business it really does not matter, no one is going to let anyone leave that has talent!
    I have to friends that have no degrees, one works for EMC the other BB International and they both now make 6 figures.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I dont discuss compensation until after the interview.

Justincase is offline Associate Member
    from what I have seen most employers already have an idea what they are willing to
    pay you to start with.....as long as you were not to high I would not worry
    about it....you could look at this way as well.....you are not doing anything at this
    time so this will get you back in the work force and if you are unhappy later
    just look for another job while you have this one.........

shit, I dunno anymore. It's easy work and I can easily do it, they probably know I can easily do it... but I got there early and they were interviewing other people for the position, probably with a college degree. The interview went alright I guess, I don't think I wow'ed them but I don't see how I could have done it any different either. I hate interview questions, like "name a time you went above and beyond what you were supposed to do" and "name a time when something changed at work and how you dealt with it". I'd rather they see what i've done then ask me this stupid shit. And then they ask for a printed portfolio for a graphic design job, all my shit is on the computer. I don't do print work, they aren't asking for someone that will do print work, why the fvck should they get pissy if I didn't bring print work... oh well.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I hear ya. Name the key differences between the public and private sectors. That was in my last interview. I said well, if this was public I wouldnt pop one of your eyes out and skull f*ck you like im going to do now. j/k but it sucks.

Thread Information