Deadend is offline Associate Member

anybody got any tips for quitting smoking?

I haven't been able to do hard cardio in a while (injury). That's usually enough to keep me from lighting up. But have any of you quit before and how did you handle it.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Get a jar fill it with butts and ash and fill it with water give it a shakes and put the lid on.Everytime you fancy a ciggie take a large sniff at the jar,you,ll gag and will not fancy one!

When I gave up I convinced myself that if I had one I would be sick and it works I gave up again in Dec and have not touched one since

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    No crack, no patch. I don't smoke but try to stay away from those who smoke. When I quit dipping it was because I was real busy all the time. When you're busy you don't have time to smoke. Seems like the only time I dipped was when I sat in front of the TV with the playstation all day. I haven't had a dip in over 6 months but I still crave it.
    Good luck.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    One more thing, If you want I'll send you a pack of cig's that I brought back from Europe. No filter-the kind the coal miners smoke. One drag and you'll never want to smoke again.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I smoked for like 8 years and quit cold turkey like 3 years ago. Dude, you just gotta suck it up. The hardest place was the bar, you know, you always had one hand with a beer and the other hand with a cigarette. Well, I just placed another beer in the cigarette hand and it got me by the first couple of weeks. Granted I got pretty drunk but it helped me to quit!

Originally posted by 9natural9
    try crack cocaine, it seems to kill the urge to light up. a cig at least
    I don't think my source sells crack cocaine, but I'll keep that in mind

Originally posted by Vegas Kid
    No crack, no patch. I don't smoke but try to stay away from those who smoke. When I quit dipping it was because I was real busy all the time. When you're busy you don't have time to smoke. Seems like the only time I dipped was when I sat in front of the TV with the playstation all day. I haven't had a dip in over 6 months but I still crave it.
    Good luck.
    Been there done that shit. When i was in high school I used to think (during baseball season of course) that I could quit smoking and take the stress off my lungs and just dip instead. Sometimes I wonder how I made through those drunken, stoned, thoughtless years.

NightOp is offline Member
    the trick for many ppl that are really really having trouble stopping, is to not really quit. Stay with me here, my dad did this and it works.

You start out with a set number of smokes per day. Say you smoke 3xday... well today, do that... smoke your three. Now, tomorrow drop it down to 2xday, and then 1xday the following day. Then go a day without smoking, and then have 1 smoke. then go 2 days without and then have your smoke. Keep increasing the time between until you are up to months. To make the process more practicle, you can start taking 3x bigger leaps once you get past the first few days.

This way you never really quit, so you don't have to think "oh no im never gonna have another smoke"... rather you get to look forward to having that one smoke, eventually you will get to where you only have one smoke a year and so on....

not quite the healthiest way to quit, but it works.
    Last edited by NightOp; 04-16-2002 at 03:06 PM.

justme is offline Associate Member
    Allan Carr the easy way to quit smoking!!

I was smoking 2 packs a day (25 smokes in a pack) sat down one night and read the book cover to cover while smoking and I woke up the next morning with out the craving and had no desire to smoke. That was Aug 31 1999, still haven't smoked since.

I was really lucky to be at the point where I didn't like the smell, the taste, and or what it was doing to me. I had been smoking for over 10 years at that point.

eradikate is offline Senior Member
    bro i smoked cigarrets since 6th grade and finally quit now. I've smoked for 7 yrs, which is not that long but it was still hard to quit. Just substitute something else for it. Everytime you want a stogue, start chewing gum or have something in your mouth so you wont smoke. Also everytime you say "i want a stogue" say to yourself 'that's not me, that's the nicotine trying to take me over'. Separate yourself from the nicotine mind. Don't let the drug control you, you have to control the drug.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I smoked for 12 years and i quit on my first attempt.

I used the nicotrol inhailers, it was just enough of a crutch to keep me going, but i must say that it was REALLY hard to do.

you just need to remember that the craving only lasts a max of 2 mins.. just drink alot of water, take deep breaths, and hang on!

I used drinking straws cut in half. i chewed on them when i needed too since i didnt want to load up on sugar (hehe even tho i was fat)

and believe me, the smell alone will keep you from starting back if you kick for long enough. I almost puke everytime i smell it.

i cannot believe i smelled that way all the time, hell why did i shower..

neways i hope everyone that chooses to quit will find only success!

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    When I quit I took it one day at a time. Thinking of doing all the things I associated with smoking made me feel panicky. Going for a relaxing drive with a smoke, a coffee with a smoke, having a drink with a smoke. I couldn't imagine those things without it. So I just quit all those things, and added them in one at a time after a while.

Soon, I had a feeling of freedom. I didn't have to miss part of a movie because I couldn't go 2 hours without a puff, I didn't have to put out a cigarette to go into a store. It's not easy, but it's not impossible. Good luck.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Full Intensity is offline Anabolic Member
    This ain't much of a tip but do it now before its too late.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I smoked from the age 14-17, about 1-2 packs/day.

Then when i started to thai box i noticed that i didnt have any wind in me, so i told myself to quit smokeing and 2 weeks later i did. I did on the other hand use SNUS for about 6 months after,itīs like tobaco that you put under your lip, basicly only found in Sweden.

skid is offline Banned
    Cold turkey never worked for me, so I had to gradually reduce the amount of tar/nicotine in my cigarettes. I went from Reds to Mediums to King Lights to Lights to Extra Lights to Carltons. Since there's so little nicotine in Carltons, it's pretty easy to wean off of them.

It's one of the best damn decisions you'll make. GOOD LUCK!

adaptations is offline Member
    GUM...buy lots and lots of gum!!! and chew it all day long...
    when you have an urge for a butt, chew some more gum!!!!!

recently did a hypnosis program for a heavy smoker and he has been 6 weeks with no smokes. finds it easy to dismis the thought of smoking. Check for hypnotists in your area.

dern180 is offline Member
    Here a tip don't start.............

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Just quit!!! simple as that. And before you say its not that easy or what would i know? well i was a smoker for about 8 years and whilst driving along the motorway one morning i went for my ziggy. Now i dont even no why i picked it up, i even said to myself out loud "why did you just pick that up?" and i couldnt answer myself so i thru the last 12 or so out of the window along with the lighter. The hardest part was at about the 2-3 week i was sweating like a whore doing overtime and felt in a daze but it eventually went away. Its been about 1 1/2 years now without lighting up but its still hard (ive been told its ALWAYS going to be hard) but just keep yourself occupied and try not to drink for a while untill its under control because they go hand in hand. Good luck.........HITMAN

I smoked for 10 years half of that was 2 packs a day (so about 50 smokes we have 25 packs here) I am coming up on 4 years for being a non smoker. I have done extensive reading on smoking. I learned even more when I got my certification as a hypnotherapist. Quitting smoking is built up by friends, TV, magazines and even stop smoking aids that it is one of the hardest things you will ever do (quitting). (One of the nicotine gums even has this written in it's instructions on how to use. and they wonder why there is only a 20% success rate)

In reality it is not hard to quit smoking but because we are told over and over again how hard it is to quit. Our minds build it up and amplify it as being brutal and cause our bodies to show symptoms we have heard or read about.

The addiction is really not a physical addiction of the body, it is a habit and mental addiction which is really easy to break. Take a look at a heroin addict they can barely go 3-4 hours with out more of the fix to sustain them, because the body physically needs more. But as a smoker you can sit through a movie with out a smoke, sleep through the night with out a smoke, maybe you wake up to go to the bathroom or because of a noise and have a smoke but your body doesn't wake you up for a smoke.

The cessation you enjoy from a smoke isn't from the nicotine but is from the sugar absorbed into your lungs through osmosis. Most tobacco is cured in anywhere from a 10% to 20% sugar and water mixture. You can get around this by drinking lots of water to flush your system and keeping lots of fresh juicy fruit on hand to have when you would normally have a smoke. You could also try and avoid doing things you would normally smoke at for a little while.

SwoleDiesel662 is offline Associate Member
    ya, don't smoke.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    i used to smoke in high school but quit 2 years ago when i started to realize that smoking definitely detracts from your overall health more than you can know. the way i quit was i would buy a pack and then have an extra empty one lying around. since i was smoking almost a pack a day i would put 5 cigarettes in the empty pack and that would be my quota for the day. after 2 days i reduced the amount of cigs to 4, and then every subsequent 2 days reduced one more away. by day 12 i was not having urges to smoke and not having any oral fixation needs since i was chewing like 4 packs of gum a day. it certainly is difficult to go to social places like bars and clubs and not feel like you really want one. to me a beer and cig went hand in hand, so it was more habit then addiction when i was trying to quit. it just takes willpower and a desire to be healthy to quit...the way i looked at it was if i can force myself to stay away from pizza, burgers, french fries, etc. then i definitely have the willpower to stop smoking.

you would be amazed at how much easier it is to look at it as "I simply don't smoke or I am a non smoker, I don't eat fast food or I eat healthy" instead of seeing it as a batlle of willpower. because then your mind thinks that there is always a winner and a looser when you have a battle of will power. so by just saying you don't or that you are a non smoker you will find you don't do the willpower battle and in turn it will be much easier for you.

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro, I feel your pain...

Some people have already suggested the step down method, but I will throw my two cents in. You have to fix the problem on the mental AND physical level. For me, I picked a date that I wanted to quit by (1 month). Then I stepped down 1 grit each week. Take your time with the physical addiction. After your end date, its a battle of will power. Hopefully, by then, it will only be mental....and what do you do then?

Chemicals if needed (patch, etc)
    GUM...and lots of it
    Many cheap pens to chew on etc.
    and the obvious...Go to the gym.

Uhhhh...and nicotine is most definetly physically addicting.

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    IMO its the best way to finally stop...

only one application and you will live again!

10InchMember is offline New Member
    Its simple. Just put down the cigarette and be done.

Its called self discipline & will power.

I used to smoke. I woke up one day and decided I was done. Haven't picked up a cig in 5 years. In fact, I don't even let people smoke in my house because I hate the smell of them now.

Thread Information