finalzero is offline New Member

Injuries... the road to recovery

Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this so I stuck it in this forum..

I am recovering from a recent injury to my knee and tendons in my left leg (injured durring a fight) and I wanted to know other members experiences and how the recovered as it seems its a little spoken subject.

Thankfully I am recovering now and it will be a matter of time before I recover fully but at least I know I what to do but it has seriously affected my training. I lost allot of confidence, especially not being able to do any kind of heavy leg training and this also affected my other routines where I lost motivation to train at all so its litterally been a battle to get into the pit and smash some iron... funny thing is I pushed my self so much that I have come out stronger and realized even if I am pshycologically drained I can still produce the results when it matters.

Still not 100% and a little phased by the fact that I can't put any kind of compression on my knee and tendons i.e do any kind of heavy squatting but I got a good physio looking after me and she has promised I will be able to lift stronger if I follow the recovery routine properly (its hard to keep our ego's at bay!).

Only other one I have had is a recuring shoulder injury where I tore my rotator cuff (ouch) and broke my collar bone a long time ago (during some grappling lessons). I had two options here, get surgery done and be out of the game for a long long time or try to train through it making sure I took precuations... I went for the latter being obviously ;-) Still comes and goes like someone has took a long 10" nail and drove it through my shoulder joint but I back off as soon as that happens and just do some light cable work or take a break from training.

So what about you guys, whats the worst you been through and how did it affect your trianing?

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    i tore my acl twice.. i got surgery the fist time and was out of weight training and cardio for almost a year, but i was in rehab
    the second time i tore it there was no way i was going back under the knife..

IMO surgery should only be done if you play sports or absolutly need it..
    now i just have to accept that i can't squat, run full speed, or play sports.. there are stil a ton more routines i can do for my legs..

the hard thing to accept is that plain and simple fact that i have a weakness. whether i'm in a fight or just horsing around it's just always on my mind

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What did you do to your knee?

I ruptured BOTH patellar tendons less than 2 years ago, and my knee-caps were halfway up my thighs. Doesn't get much worse than that.........

I just got done w/legs today, and I did 325lb. free weight squats for sets of 15-20.

So, you can come back. I am proof of that!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by finalzero
    Hi,

Wasn't sure where to post this so I stuck it in this forum..

I am recovering from a recent injury to my knee and tendons in my left leg (injured durring a fight) and I wanted to know other members experiences and how the recovered as it seems its a little spoken subject.

Thankfully I am recovering now and it will be a matter of time before I recover fully but at least I know I what to do but it has seriously affected my training. I lost allot of confidence, especially not being able to do any kind of heavy leg training and this also affected my other routines where I lost motivation to train at all so its litterally been a battle to get into the pit and smash some iron... funny thing is I pushed my self so much that I have come out stronger and realized even if I am pshycologically drained I can still produce the results when it matters.

Still not 100% and a little phased by the fact that I can't put any kind of compression on my knee and tendons i.e do any kind of heavy squatting but I got a good physio looking after me and she has promised I will be able to lift stronger if I follow the recovery routine properly (its hard to keep our ego's at bay!).

Only other one I have had is a recuring shoulder injury where I tore my rotator cuff (ouch) and broke my collar bone a long time ago (during some grappling lessons). I had two options here, get surgery done and be out of the game for a long long time or try to train through it making sure I took precuations... I went for the latter being obviously ;-) Still comes and goes like someone has took a long 10" nail and drove it through my shoulder joint but I back off as soon as that happens and just do some light cable work or take a break from training.

So what about you guys, whats the worst you been through and how did it affect your trianing?

Luminaire is offline Associate Member
    Last year...oh god the memories are haunting me I dont even want to continue... oh jesus... ok well last year...I got into a huge fight with my friend... and he slammed....the car door on my pinky. It hurt for at least 3 days and I couldnt really grip things with it, I thought about suicide for a while, but God sent me a message. I was watching ABC in the afternoon when they broadcasted video from the special olympics. I watched a full out retard sprint a quarter mile. It was a freak accident but half way through the race the velcrow from his special sneakers came undone and he tripped, landed on his face shattering his vertebrae and died. One of his competitors then ran over and began screaming "MARSHMELLOWS"; they subdued him with a tranquilizer gun. I realized then that although my accident was unfortunate, hey, at least im not a ****ing retarded guy.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire
    Last year...oh god the memories are haunting me I dont even want to continue... oh jesus... ok well last year...I got into a huge fight with my friend... and he slammed....the car door on my pinky. It hurt for at least 3 days and I couldnt really grip things with it, I thought about suicide for a while, but God sent me a message. I was watching ABC in the afternoon when they broadcasted video from the special olympics. I watched a full out retard sprint a quarter mile. It was a freak accident but half way through the race the velcrow from his special sneakers came undone and he tripped, landed on his face shattering his vertebrae and died. One of his competitors then ran over and began screaming "MARSHMELLOWS"; they subdued him with a tranquilizer gun. I realized then that although my accident was unfortunate, hey, at least im not a ****ing retarded guy.
    Is that supposed to be funny? I don't get it.

I also don't understand you contemplating suicide from getting your pinky caught in a door.

WTF??

~SC~

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    WTF

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    uh....................

what are you talking about.

robkesl is offline Senior Member
    ive recently recoverd from an injury, from actually running, i started playing rugby in college this past year, and before that i really didnt ever run alot, well to put it short near the end of the season i developed triple tendonitis in on ankle and just tenonitis on the left, that put me out for awhile, that sucked. they were like try not to walk, and im like im in college i have to walk all over campus to get to class. it was terrible it put me from doing legs for over 3 months, 2 months i had physical therapy. and then i couldnt run for like 4months.
    i know that it was just tendonitis and your guys injuries were alot worse, but i can sorta connect with you. it sucks!

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    i just was posting yesterday on another site about my current injury.
    i think i got a straind pec
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

about 7 weeks ago i was benching and i was right around the 370lb range and on my way down on the first rep i felt a weird pull on my left pec near my upper armpit. scared about this in reaction i finished my rep real quick and put the bar back up. well i took it very easy the next few weeks not going much over 150lbs comfortly. once in a while i would feel a little tension but not to bad. last week on chest i was feeling good and got 4 reps in at 385 no problems at all. this week i was at 365 and i felt pain again WTF. so now im going to have to go very easy.. i dont understand why it comes and goes.. my only thoughts is that i can possible not be stretched out enough. what should i do and how should i treat

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    i used to tease retared kids growing up. now i have a 3 yo retarded grandson......GOD DONT WHIP WITH A STICK .................

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I realized then that although my accident was unfortunate, hey, at least im not a ****ing retarded guy.

Are you certain of this?

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    funny shit bro

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    One of his competitors then ran over and began screaming "MARSHMELLOWS"; they subdued him with a tranquilizer gun.
    LMAO at the dude screaming marshmellows

Cmore is offline Associate Member

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    You must be a real tough guy, hurting your pinky and all... Cmon you and you friend were fighting and you hurt your pinky, that does not sound to good bro, and to top it off you make an immature comment about a retarded kid. You are the only retard I see.

finalzero is offline New Member
    Have to have a joker in the pack... funny but not really when you realize some one close to you goes through hell for years and then passes away and you don't know why... puts things into perspective.

What happened to m knee/leg?

I torqued my knee, basically shin went one direction, body in another and knee was hooked into a leg lock... I tapped out but the guy I was fighting had a grudge so decided to hurt me, we rolled as I was trying to break loose and then I just heard a crack.

I ruptured plate between my knee cap and joint and I damaged my tendon going from my hamstring to my knee... pretty messed up, I was luck to walk away from that.

Shoulder injury is not so bad now, I told my physio about it and got some new pre lifting routines that have made a difference, I did seated rear shoulder press with a free weight barbell loaded at 215lbs for 6 reps on my own which is not bad, did seated front shoulder press for 5 reps with a barbell loaded at 315lbs.

I think warming up is paramount to safe training, I see so many people in the gym just let their ego's blow out and hit the weights straight without any warm ups/stretches. I always do warm ups/stretching before lifiting and it makes a big difference, I get allot more power, flexibility and I can lift heavier which can't be a bad thing.

Its nuts what we do, if you think about it, lifting insane amounts of weight and pushing our bodies to their limits

FZ

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I blew out my elbow tendons.. IMO this is worse then knees because I've had my right knee out too ... Its quite demeaning when you are struggling with 10-20 pound dumbells for flat bench, and the thought of directly training arms is enough to make you cry!

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    Are you certain of this?
    lol..
    i fractured my splene snowboarding, sounds retarded as hell but yeah. i went off a jump over a gap onto a box. slipped off and fell, landed on my shoulder and kind of crunched up, sucked cause i was at the bottom of the mountain and everyone saw. god im glad i went to the first aid, i didnt want to at first but the pain was horrible, maby cause i was internally bleeding. i lost alot of weight and im still tryin to gain it back. i think it helped me though cause i actually appreciate lifting more now.

Thread Information