Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Jantzen4k's Avatar
    Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    $ Make The World Go Round
    Posts
    3,388

    Think How Much Stronger You Would Be ...

    if the guy who started to make dumbell plates made them at 50lbs instead of 45lbs

    ive seen 100lb plates, not 90lb or 95lb plates, why 45lb???

    Not only would we be stronger but it would also be easy to figure out how much weight is on the bar.


    just a thought . . .

  2. #2
    4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    406
    why would this make us any stronger?

  3. #3
    TheDfromGC's Avatar
    TheDfromGC is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    a building
    Posts
    2,040
    not sure of the origin of using 45, would think at first its because of kilos, to make them even or something, but with 45's its 22.5 kilos so thats not right. i couldnt tell ya. but yea 50's would be way easier for figuring #'s, 50lbs plates, and 50lbs bar....i wouldnt mind

  4. #4
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803
    the plates i use have 45lbs on 1 side 20kgs on the other side

  5. #5
    4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMethodX
    the plates i use have 45lbs on 1 side 20kgs on the other side
    20kg plates are only 44lbs. Guess you are weaker than you thought. just kidding bro

  6. #6
    kman's Avatar
    kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    if the guy who started to make dumbell plates made them at 50lbs instead of 45lbs

    ive seen 100lb plates, not 90lb or 95lb plates, why 45lb???

    Not only would we be stronger but it would also be easy to figure out how much weight is on the bar.


    just a thought . . .
    never thought of that, good point

  7. #7
    almostgone's Avatar
    almostgone is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the lower carolina
    Posts
    14,181
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDfromGC
    not sure of the origin of using 45, would think at first its because of kilos, to make them even or something, but with 45's its 22.5 kilos so thats not right. i couldnt tell ya. but yea 50's would be way easier for figuring #'s, 50lbs plates, and 50lbs bar....i wouldnt mind
    ...I think you nailed it....20kg=44.4 lbs.. .6lbs difference....if you have 10 plates on the bar, it's only a 6 lb. difference...

  8. #8
    alphaman's Avatar
    alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Ron Paul War Room
    Posts
    2,727
    20 kg= 45 lbs, roughly
    Last edited by alphaman; 06-10-2005 at 02:02 PM.

  9. #9
    4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    20 kg= 45 lbs
    1kg=2.2lbs thus 20 kg= 44lbs

  10. #10
    jdspinna's Avatar
    jdspinna is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    235
    When I first started lifting at age 15 my buddy bought an olympic set from Dicks with 50lb plates in the set. It also had those pain in the ass screw on clips. Haven't seen any since.

  11. #11
    alphaman's Avatar
    alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Ron Paul War Room
    Posts
    2,727
    My bad, I thought 45 lb plates say 20 kg, but mine say 20.4 kg. It's Johan's fault!

  12. #12
    4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    20 kg= 45 lbs, roughly
    Nice

  13. #13
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    1kg is closer to 2.25ibs then 2.2ibs

  14. #14
    alphaman's Avatar
    alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Ron Paul War Room
    Posts
    2,727
    Johan once posted something that said 2.25 lb= 1 kilo. I rebutted, saying it was 2.2 lbs., and he asked why 45 lb plates say 20 kg then(?), and I was like, "oh". I took his word for it cause 20x 2.25 is 45. Well I just searched and 1 kg actually weighs... 2.20462262 pound.

    I know, I know, TMI!

  15. #15
    alphaman's Avatar
    alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Ron Paul War Room
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    1kg is closer to 2.25ibs then 2.2ibs


    AHhhhhhh! And I am vindicated!!!!!!!!!!!

  16. #16
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    hum seems like you are right. Must have remembered wrong. I wonder what the plates real weight is then. 20kg or 45 ibs since it cant be both lol. Im guessing 20kg since its olympic weights and the messurement in the olympic is kg.

  17. #17
    alphaman's Avatar
    alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Ron Paul War Room
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    hum seems like you are right. Must have remembered wrong. I wonder what the plates real weight is then. 20kg or 45 ibs since it cant be both lol. Im guessing 20kg since its olympic weights and the messurement in the olympic is kg.

    Yeah, well.... for making me look stupid. That's what I get for believing in you Mr. VET?

    J/K

  18. #18
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    Yeah, well.... for making me look stupid. That's what I get for believing in you Mr. VET?

    J/K

  19. #19
    Jantzen4k's Avatar
    Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    $ Make The World Go Round
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by 4U2NV
    why would this make us any stronger?


    if youve been using 50lb plates the whole time youve been lifting instead of 45lb plates you would stronger & prob bigger.


    instead of 135 youd be repping 145lbs

    instead of benching 225 for warm ups you woulda been doing 245,

    instead of benching 315, youd be doing 345 etc

  20. #20
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    But it would **** things upp for the rest of the world since we count in kg and 20kg plates is so easy to count on

    So in this case the USA must bow down to the rest of the world muhahahahaha or make your own USA only plates

  21. #21
    Jantzen4k's Avatar
    Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    $ Make The World Go Round
    Posts
    3,388
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    But it would **** things upp for the rest of the world since we count in kg and 20kg plates is so easy to count on

    So in this case the USA must bow down to the rest of the world muhahahahaha or make your own USA only plates

    then why is there 100lb plates?

  22. #22
    alphaman's Avatar
    alphaman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    The Ron Paul War Room
    Posts
    2,727
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    USA must bow down to the rest of the world muhahahahaha or make your own USA only plates

    HAHA! Don't hold your breath! We've been talking about going metric for a long time, since the 70's. Ain't gonna happen. Things would be easier though.

  23. #23
    HeavyHitter's Avatar
    HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,107
    i ponder your curiosity Jantz!!

  24. #24
    4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    if youve been using 50lb plates the whole time youve been lifting instead of 45lb plates you would stronger & prob bigger.


    instead of 135 youd be repping 145lbs

    instead of benching 225 for warm ups you woulda been doing 245,

    instead of benching 315, youd be doing 345 etc
    But 245 is 245 and 315 is 315 no matter how it adds up. However I guess I still see your point sorta.

  25. #25
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantzen4k
    then why is there 100lb plates?

    never seen such a abonimation(sp?) in a swedish gym so must be some kind of wierd american invention to show off some big ass plates.

    I have seen 50kg plates though(110ibs).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •