Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tyson Lost

alphaman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536
    Exaclty. Foreman was alway bigger, thus the style he adopted. Tyson was basically never bigger. Which is why he had to fight like he did. Thanks for proving my point.

How did I prove your point? You said that Foreman beat Moorer because he was a smaller man, and I was pointing out that all of Foreman's losses were to smaller men. Here's some wins against bigger men- Alex Stuart(259), Stamford Harris(235), Mel Turnbow(246), Jack O'Halloran(235), and quite a few more. And I can name a bunch of fights Tyson won where he was the bigger man. Let me know if I need to. Tyson didn't fight like that because he had to, he fought like that because he was extremely effective like that.

So Foreman was not always bigger, and Tyson was not always smaller.

Swole- I like what you said about the cheque drops . Are you just joking, or have you really heard that? That would make sense, bigtime!
    Last edited by alphaman; 06-12-2005 at 05:14 PM.

JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)
    Foreman 6'4 Tyson 5'10. Most heavyweights are between 5'10 and 6'4. Name 2 guys Foreman fought that were taller than him. And name 2 guys Tyson fought that were shorter than him. Im talking fighting styles here bro. Foreman stood there and threw haymakers. Tyson came after you. Tyson's style of fighting takes much more endurance. Agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536
    Foreman 6'4 Tyson 5'10. Most heavyweights are between 5'10 and 6'4. Name 2 guys Foreman fought that were taller than him. And name 2 guys Tyson fought that were shorter than him. Im talking fighting styles here bro. Foreman stood there and threw haymakers. Tyson came after you. Tyson's style of fighting takes much more endurance. Agreed?
    Gerry Cooney(6'7"), Stamford Harris(6'5"). Foreman beat 'em both. I know I'll be hardpressed to find a fighter shorter than Tyson....... but he's 5'11".

I'll agree that they have different fight styles, but they're fighting styles aren't necesarily because of their sizes. There are big guys who are brawlers, and small guys who are boxers.

Luminaire is offline Associate Member
    im sorry but the tyson loss really upsets me. Without tyson's boxing is really ****ing boring...at least the heavyweight division...id rather watch a lifetime original movie than watch lennox lewis or anyone like him box, boxing isnt about the decision at the end....its about that 4 round bloodbath that ends in a KO

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    How did I prove your point? You said that Foreman beat Moorer because he was a smaller man, and I was pointing out that all of Foreman's losses were to smaller men. Here's some wins against bigger men- Alex Stuart(259), Stamford Harris(235), Mel Turnbow(246), Jack O'Halloran(235), and quite a few more. And I can name a bunch of fights Tyson won where he was the bigger man. Let me know if I need to. Tyson didn't fight like that because he had to, he fought like that because he was extremely effective like that.

So Foreman was not always bigger, and Tyson was not always smaller.

Swole- I like what you said about the cheque drops. Are you just joking, or have you really heard that? That would make sense, bigtime!
    yup its said that he has used em , even in this steroid book i have........

but if asked he'll probably sa he's natural , just like the pros.........

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    yea he sux now..and it really sux that he was so great and phucked it all up....he is not going to be remembered for how bad of a mofo he was, but more for what a phuck up he was. sad soppy story..too bad too.. everytime i heard he was going to fight i was hoping to see a glimpse of the old him..but it will never come again.

and roy jones jr fell too... what is boxing coming too

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    He said after the fight he just did this to get paid, and he wishes there was some way the people could get there money back. I was a fan of him until that statement. He showed no heart and should be not allowed to box again. Oh and he is still crazy, I recorded the fight and when you pause it before he comes out in the 6th round he looks insane. That is also the round he tried to break the guys arm, and then head butted him, so I highly doubt he is taking any medication to calm him down before the fight..

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I believe when his first trainer died (the guy he loved and had a special bond with) the cheque drops disappeared too. Is there a relation between the trainer and the cheque drops as in a "source", I dunno, but there is a marked difference in the fighter in the ring. Couple the loss of a close loved one (to Tyson anyhow) and the loss of the aggression from the pill, and you have nothing but a sub-par/less than average fighter.

Then add in the medication he is taking to calm him down and get his life in order, and you really have nada.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 06-13-2005 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I believe when his first trainer died (the guy he loved and had a special bond with) the cheque drops disappeared too. Couple the loss of a close loved one (to Tyson anyhow) and the loss of the aggression from the pill, and you have nothing but a sub-par/less than average fighter.

~SC~

Sad, but likely it's true. Makes perfect sense.

big tu is offline New Member
    As test subject said. Every really big name he fought he lost.
    Tyson was a great boxer 14 years ago but even then he was never the real deal. he got beat by buster douglas. We all got conned and wanted to belive it was a 1 off long count or whatever the excuse was at the time. Then he went to jail FOR RAPE. So didnt fight the other big names to become the undisputed king of the ring. Names like riddock bowe, Lennox lewis evander holyfield. They were the other num 1 contenders and champions.

But because we all got sucked in by his exciting style and promotion we assumed he wouldve just wooped these guys.

He goes to jail comes out hes been considered the real champ while in jail riddock had retired (more or less). He fights loads of bums to get paid waste them easy. Fights evander the real deal holyfield. Every1 writes evander off with no chance.

He fights mikes fight. Toe to toe takes tysons combos then hits him back harder faster and longer combos. He wooped tyson and showed him for what he was. A great combination puncher. But if you put him against a real champ/contender with stamina and a chin hes not goodenougth.

The the rematch same story. except in the first fight mike took his beating like a man. The second time he punked out like a coward. Biting cause he couldnt win!!

then he fights a load more bums people still class him as a great fighter. It was just the jail time that made him lose to evander.

Then he fights lewis and gets beat up good. then still fights on against bums on pay per view. And people still pay to see him.

Tyson was never what he was made out to be and would have lost against evander holyfield, lennox lewis, and riddock bowe at any stage in his career. He was a great come forward combination fighter who scored impressive knockouts. But he never had what it took to be the best. He wasnt a rounded fighter, More a 1 trick pony. And Im glad hes been exposed as the fighter he is rather then the fighter we were all led to belive he was.

I looked up to tyson as a kid. world champion from a poor background. But the guys a rapist, he beats up old men with road rage, punks out when things dont go his way and talks about eating peoples children.

Its hard not to feel sory for mike somtimes. But you reap what you my brothers so remember him for what he was good fighter but an arsehole.

he was never the baddest man on the planet, But is now the saddest

Quote Originally Posted by big tu
    As test subject said. Every really big name he fought he lost.

Tyson was never what he was made out to be and would have lost against evander holyfield, lennox lewis, and riddock bowe at any stage in his career.

I agree w/ most of what you said, except for the above. He definitely was one dimensional, but if he could have refined his boxing skills, he really coulda been great. He was just too immature, and mentally unstable, and he stayed like that.

Oh and he was def the baddest man on the planet at one time. No doubt.

tyson was a bad mofo back in in the day hands down..but that was back in the day.

big tu is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    I agree w/ most of what you said, except for the above. He definitely was one dimensional, but if he could have refined his boxing skills, he really coulda been great. He was just too immature, and mentally unstable, and he stayed like that.

Oh and he was def the baddest man on the planet at one time. No doubt.

I see what your saying but saying if he could have refined his fighting skills is unfair to the argument, He couldnt change his style that was him come forward beat you up with hard combinations of punches.

Doing that against very good fighters he was impressive and scored great exciting knockouts. But when he fought genuine world champions he wasnt good enough.

He couldnt handle fighters who took his combos, And hit him back. I do understand why so many people regard him so highly and have trouble beliving that he was never as good as we all thought he was.

To watch some of his fights was great for me as a kid he was awsome. But looking back he was awsome against good and average fighters. His oponents were picked. When he stepped up to fight the best and become a legend he fell short.

Nothing to do with jail everything to do with style and abillity.

And ok he was a bad mother****er so maybe he was the baddest man on the planet. Ive been arguing with people for years about mike tyson. People loved him and hated me telling them he wasnt going to win against holyfield and lewis and williams. Won myself a few quid though. But it is a shame that people loved him so much when he was an areshole. And not as good as either lewis or holyfield but loved much much more.

How do you american guys regard lewis. He is a truly great boxer But an unlikable person. I find him boring, I wouldnt want to share the ring with him though

1819 is offline Senior Member
    ive been reading all the posts since the fight. many valid points. some i have no idea where they come from. the one thing that sticks out is alot of people keep saying that mike was a waste of talent and that he could have been one of the best. hello! how much better of a career do you want a person to have? he was one of the best. even after he lost it he is still the number one draw in the sport. big daddy bowe. now there was a guy who had all the tools to be one of the best. no heart=big problems and thats why he was a waste. also if anyone thinks mike is broke for real. think again. trump keeps filing bankruptcy. is he broke.? come on. dont think youll ever see mike swing a hammer. never was a big tyson fan till i got to know him maybe thats why im defending him a little. he is a totally different man than what you see on tv and nowhere near as crazy as you might think. might not be the most stable person you'll ever meet. what boxer is? i mean their job description requires them to be hit in the face for gods sake. he always knew it was part show. he always knew how to put asses in the seats. my job as an athlete allowed me to play with and meet many athletes from different sports and all backgrounds. some good, some bad, alot of great people, alot of jerkoffs. everyone has their own opinon and i respect all but saying mike wasted his life is just wrong. just my 2cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information