Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    O.M.E.G.A is offline Douche Bag

Media and America

the Media and our "culture"

the homogenous cultures we once had that lended themselves to "values" are bieng thrown aside and a "grey race is forming"
    where our heterogenous culture made of of many is now mixing and matching and thus losing it old identitiy, and forming into a greay race I speak of

by deifinition this population hase no historical ties to the past, since this culture and values are formed largeleyin the here an now. the of values through the parents and cultural groups of like identity has less of an influence and in time NO influence. This is not inherantly bad it just is

this new population is very vulnerable since its identity is formed in the "here and now" based on the information it comsumes on a daily basis

and since most of its information comes from a very centralized poular media the values of that media
    igrains itself in the minds of that new consumer/ citizen/ culture

what we have in this senario is TOP DOWN controll, and identiy formation

where before the media was a reflection of society, it is now the molder of society or at least is heading that way

when ones indentiy is the product of popular messages with no other cultural influence or messages of value to offset it, the likey hood of the picture I just made happening is highly likely

also one more note "values that are honerable" ie: sacrifice, patience, non materialism, long term hard work, love of others, are values not very congruent to market forces, since they lend them selves to less of a consumer menatlity

the time to fight in now gentleman if any of us really care,,,,,,

I am not underestimating the intellignece of people by the way

but when a trend becomes pervasive, then becomes all powerfull then permeates most avenues of communication

and is able to steer political process, popular trends, the covering or uncovering of information

it becomes likely, or probable rather if you wnated to look at it mathematically

alphaman is offline Member
    wrong forum. This should be in the Politics/religion forum.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Hmmm, omega what do u want exactly??

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMethodX
    Hmmm, omega what do u want exactly??
    how did you feel about the post?

I will answer you if you tell me what you thought

Agree with a part of it , the other parts suggest limiting freedom or smth which i dont like

ur part now

Fvck the media tho thats wut i say now wut do u want exactly

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    I actually dont care, because I don't watch TV, read the paper watch or listen to the news. I already know that the media is a vehicle for the government to instill fear in the population, they want to keep us scared so we look to them for protection... "yes go to war with whoever just keep us safe". The government only really has power over YOUR mind if you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalMethodX

ur part now
    I i would like world peace

oh and a entity like the BBC here

this would be suffecient in offsettign private media without censoring it

ps: PBS aint no BBC

Hmm i want religion to be erased and not known to humans i pray for that everynite

I am a God loving human my self

Bigen12 is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I think I understand the point you are tying to make.

I also agree that the media isn’t qualified to teach values to anyone.

I believe that the true core values must be taught at home by parents, not by the media or some teacher in school.

I also believe that they must not simply be preached but taught by example.

Children watch how parents react and handle every situation, and by leading a good example you are teaching your children the core values that they need.

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA

the homogenous cultures we once had that lended themselves to "values" are bieng thrown aside and a "grey race is forming"
    where our heterogenous culture made of of many is now mixing and matching and thus losing it old identitiy, and forming into a greay race I speak of

by deifinition this population hase no historical ties to the past, since this culture and values are formed largeleyin the here an now. the of values through the parents and cultural groups of like identity has less of an influence and in time NO influence. This is not inherantly bad it just is
    Well this looks like a neo-nazi or something of the like talking. Or at least someone that thinks races shouldn't intermingle.(black and white makes grey).

I do agree w/ the idea of the liberal media diluting our culture. I also believe that all the "politically correct" bull$hit is leading to too much censorship and an infringement of our freedom of speech. I saw an episode of "Penn & Teller's Bull$hit" about PC in Universities, and one guy on there said something that was very interesting:

"To teach someone that they have the right to never be offended, is a very dangerous lesson to teach."

did sound like a neo-nazi to me ........

wut do u think bout that statement tho ?

well......

homogenous

adj : all of the same or similar kind or nature; "a close-knit homogeneous group" [syn: homogeneous] [ant: heterogeneous]

homogenous cultures being thrown aside w/ no historical ties? hmmmmm.......

heterogenous

adj 1: consisting of elements that are not of the same kind or nature

He then speaks of our new heterogenous culture. huh.
    Last edited by alphaman; 06-13-2005 at 09:21 AM.

Not getting you.....

Maybe Nazi was an exaggeration. But what don't you get? I'm interperting it as him saying that our culture that was once many different cultures each seperate from the other, w/ it's own historical ties, and that now all races and cultures are mixing together, thus creating a "gray race" w/ no values.

i got that from his post.....NvM

Well, here in the US many would label that as the rhetoric of a racist. A more positive outlook would be that this "gray race" would acquire the values of each culture collectively. The medias influence on society in the US is obviously not good, but it's up to parents and role models to instill good values in children despite the media's influence. I know I will w/ my kids. It's almost as if this guy threw the media in there to confuse some of you, like making it a puzzle to figure out. That's why he wouldn't explain further without us giving our take on the post.

I'm not trying to burn a witch here, just giving my interpretation of the post.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    Well this looks like a neo-nazi or something of the like talking. Or at least someone that thinks races shouldn't intermingle.(black and white makes grey).
    "

see that is a mistake

I am speaking objectively, and I am looking at it mathematically, like a demographer would

the probablity of what I said transposed on the system at present make is highly likely

it is niether bad not good it just "IS"

only the most "private" people

Jews, Chinese, and other private groups will be able to endure the change, and hold on too old historical information, much of that information (values in this case) not congruent to the sytem at present

please remove the racial part it is not about that

see that is a mistake

I am speaking objectively, and I am looking at it mathematically, like a demographer would

the probablity of what I said transposed on the system at present make is highly likely

it is niether bad not good it just "IS"

only the most "private" people

Jews, Chinese, and other private groups will be able to endure the change, and hold on too old historical information, much of that information (values in this case) not congruent to the sytem at present

Well one of two things is going on here:

1. You plagerized this from somewhere, and didn't really understand it yourself.

or....

2. You can't write very well, but you think you can, thus using big words you don't understand, and just by sheer luck, you made a statement that could be interpreted as a racist statement.

I got my money on number 1.

What could be mathematical about these statments??????

So, you've gone into each interracial household in America, and done a survey of their values?

Please.

These two statements just don't go together.

1)well your personal attacks fall to the way side I simply will not acknowledge them

2) the thought expressed were thought of by myself as I looked to our current situation

3) again you not seeing things systemically

a) old cultures and races are dying, this is not bad or good persay it just is.
    b) a grey race is replacing it, this is not good or bad it just is.
    c) this new race inherantly has no historical ties to the past and their identity is formed in the "here and now"
    d) since this population comsumes media on a daily basis for a reference point of reality, it is highly likely that there indentiy will be a reflection of what is disseminatied on a popular level
    e) since most of the popular information that is spewed out is largely marketing message, and owned by very few corporation the probality of controll shift to very possible....
    f) yes i cannot spell very well

These two statements just don't go together.

sure they do if you look at it in an unbiased fashion

for example christianity in the dark ages survived, and preserved anchient text of all kind

why?

becasue they were a "private sect" and adopted self preserving, and communal tactics

again stop making it racial, a fallacy that stifils true dialogue

i simply will not acknowledge it

i simply will not acknowledge it

Of course you won't.

1)

3) again you not seeing things systemically

Well, your "systematic" approach to our melting pot of cultures is simply.... racist. To assume that the mixture of cultures will erase values is a racist stance. And it's very negative as well.

How do you know that an interracial child won't adopt the positive values of both his parents????? I'm pure a pure, blond-haired, blue-eyed white boy of Scottish decent, and I believe I have inherited values from other cultures eventhough I'm not a part of them, and I most likely got most of it from the media. I'd say primarily not the news media, but a form of media nonetheless.

How do you know that an interracial child won't adopt the positive values of both his parents?????

Please respond to the question above.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I think we should just f**k our way out of it. That way there would not be a minority/majority. Ill take beyonce.

Quote Originally Posted by roidattack
    I think we should just f**k our way out of it. That way there would not be a minority/majority. Ill take beyonce.

There you go again........ sweatin' celebs!

Um, I'll take Ciera!!!

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    There you go again........ sweatin' celebs!

Um, I'll take Ciera!!!

Just think of it though. If we were all the same race, it would cure 50% of our problems.

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    omega i think that you, or you assume people are easily influenced by the media.

the problems you describe has less to do with our nations extravagant media coverage and more to do with social problems.. such as young unwedd mothers and broken homes.. wich is rampant in areas of poverty and crime..

basically i doubt that guy on the news who raped and killed someone ( whether he be black or white) watched to much media.. he probably had problems groing up.

Alphaman

you can not use the Racist card on me it simply wont work, and wont work those that see through this tactic of quelling debate

you can use use it but it does not make you look very good

Of course you won't.
    sorry I had said my peace

it may rile you up but its a clear point that is presented

now face it

How do you know that an interracial child won't adopt the positive values of both his parents?????

You want to make a statement, then back it up! Don't run and hide when you can't rebut.

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION ABOVE!!!!!

Alphaman

you can not use the Racist card on me it simply wont work, and wont work those that see through this tactic of quelling debate

you can use use it but it does not make you look very good

I don't look good?? You aren't getting around it by simply saying, "it won't work." Let's see some substance! Your smoke screens are ineffective against someone of my intellectual capacity.

sorry I had said my peace

it may rile you up but its a clear point that is presented

now face it

I'm not riled up. I don't sweat the small $hit.

I agree that the media has the potential to desensitize children, and the responsability to prevent this lies w/ the parents........

BUT>>>>>> THE ABILITY TO PREVENT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ONE"S RACE, OR THE MIXTURE OF RACES/CULTURES.

And Omega-

Respond to EVERY post, don't be a puss, and pick and choose what you want to repond to, be a man and pick apart everything I say, as I do to you. C'mon! I know you can do it!

Alpha and Omega- kinda funny, huh?

Well...... Looks like he gave up.

Interesting how he posted this in the Lounge rather than in the Politics forum. Almost like he wanted to better broadcast the message. And he says, " time to fight gentelman, if any of us care." Fight what? The media, or race mixing?

Anyways...... kinda sad when a car salesman with a GED out debates someone that's at a University!

no offense but your very easy to pick apart and your anger shows your view point to me

if you communicated with some modicum of respect

I might have replied

yet you continue to take personal jabs and on top of it indite my character

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information