MRI and the bad news!!!DOC< HELP

Well I don't know if any of you remember me thinking I had nerve/glute probs a couple of months back. But, I finally broke down and paid for the damn MRI and came back I have a ruptured disk btwn the L4/L5. Funny thing is the back don't hurt at all but my hip and part of my ass kill but only sometimes. Well I can't get surgery and I have been self rehabing for quite some time and it is getting a lot better, but If there is anything any of you can add then fell free to chime in. Anyway, CORTISONE HERE I COME.

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    Well I don't know if any of you remember me thinking I had nerve/glute probs a couple of months back. But, I finally broke down and paid for the damn MRI and came back I have a ruptured disk btwn the L4/L5. Funny thing is the back don't hurt at all but my hip and part of my ass kill but only sometimes. Well I can't get surgery and I have been self rehabing for quite some time and it is getting a lot better, but If there is anything any of you can add then fell free to chime in. Anyway, CORTISONE HERE I COME.
    That could be because the nerves that go to those areas are coming from the ventral root which comes out of your spinal cord which have to make their way through your spine. So you may be cuasing an interruption of those nerves which could be causing the pain. I'm not a doctor yet but i would guess it has something to do with that.

You do have health insurance right?

Well I did know what causes it b/c I am studying to be ex. physiologist, but thanks alot for the info brother. But I guess i should have clarified my post more I was thinking along the lines of ways to rehab or compensate for the problem. I know pretty much all the bs they teach you in undergrad and therapy, but I was hoping for any new or alternative better ways. Keep em comin boys.

tonytone is offline Anabolic Member
    Your situation is a tough one. I'm sure you know all about the rehab techniques, and aside from surgery (and other holistic approaches), rehab is your only other option. I would also say to really work on your core strength. When lower back problems arise, a very strong core will help pick up the slack.. if all else fails, get the surgery and fuse the vertebrae

alphaman is offline Member
    Bro, I have the exact same problem as you. I was in pain for two years. The only treatment I got was from a chiropractor who told me not to stretch, not to do cardio, not to lift weights, nothing. I got a little better, but it would start to hurt a few days after adjustment, and would until I got another one. Well, I moved away, and didn't have a chiro to go to, and on a whim, I decided to dtart stretching. Now I have no pain in my back, and every once in a while, I get a little pain in my hip/glute. But it's night and day. I no longer feel like a 25 yr old geriatric! I can even do squats and deads again, with no pain during, or after!

These are the two stretches that helped me most:

The first one is awesome for stretching out the hip/glute. The second one is good for the spine. I also do one b4 I do the second one that I couldn't find on the net. I put my feet shoulder width apart, and squat all the way down. I reach my arms as far froward as I can, wiith my head down. Ice b4 bed helps a lot too. Hope this helps you as much as it's helped me.
    http://www.cyberastro.com/health/yoga/spine.asp
    http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/478_1.cfm
    Last edited by alphaman; 06-16-2005 at 05:59 PM.

thanks alot bro I will def. try the stretch and my pain isn't all the time just after I sit for a while, and it is also more contralateral than on the actual side I have the problem, but that stretch really does work, hell I might even try doing yoga, anythings better than surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Surgery should be a last resort for any medical problem, if there is any other way to remedy the problem it should be addressed before undergoing surgery...

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    sorry to hear about that disk..

try to get in touch with a physical therapist (if you have insurance)

i tore my acl twice, had surgery, tore it again, i'm not going to have surgery again cuz i don't want another year of pain and walking on egg shells.

i went to a physical therapist and she gave me all kinds of workouts to build the muscles around the injury.. it has defiantly improved (even though i can't play sports)

i can understand why you wouldn't want surgery.. surgery on my knee was tuff, but i'm sure back surgery's gotta be worse.. make sure you don't keep re-injuring that disk, it might make surgery your only option, if it gets bad enough..

just keep that rehab up.. good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by the hulkster
    thanks alot bro I will def. try the stretch and my pain isn't all the time just after I sit for a while, and it is also more contralateral than on the actual side I have the problem, but that stretch really does work, hell I might even try doing yoga, anythings better than surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those stretches are yoga! That's what I was doing, but I don't have time to do all the other stuff, so I've just been doing those two, since they are what really helps me. But as far as surgery......... definitely wait until you are so bad that you can't walk. I've talked to tons of people who said surgery(back surgery) made them worse, and tons that said the pain went down, but it's still there, and they can't be active. I've only met two people who said they felt like surgery was really beneficial. I'm sure you know how to prevent re-injury(how to lift, protect your back etc.), but making your abs really strong helps too! Good luck!

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    I tried these. I have some similar pains from sitting for more than an hour at a time. Makes watching movies motionless impossible.
    I tried these stretches. Feels good!
    The second one I imagine you do to each side, right? I done-done-did-it already if not.
    The Uttanasana... woman in the pic must be a yoga master right? I can barely get my middle fingers to the floor much less the palms of my hands. It says cross your forearms. In front of or behind the back?

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    I tried these. I have some similar pains from sitting for more than an hour at a time. Makes watching movies motionless impossible.
    I tried these stretches. Feels good!
    The second one I imagine you do to each side, right? I done-done-did-it already if not.
    The Uttanasana... woman in the pic must be a yoga master right? I can barely get my middle fingers to the floor much less the palms of my hands. It says cross your forearms. In front of or behind the back?

Yeah, that's nothing, some yoga pics are downright disturbing!

Thread Information