Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Negative Effect

12 54.55%
  • Positive Effect

3 13.64%
  • No Effect

7 31.82%
    smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Rap & Hip Hop culture effect on society

What do u guys think about the Rap and Hip Hop culture effect on the society and specially the teens?
    Last edited by smokethedays; 06-18-2005 at 01:47 PM.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    It supports sex, drugs and violence, but so does evrything else, especialy our own goverment. So put ya guns in the air and wave them side to side. LOL Im part retarted.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    For some it's a positive outlet, for others it's a negative.

It's the same w/rock music, or any type of "interest"/hobby/etc.

There is no cut/dry answer.

~SC~

Blog Entries
    most schools are fighting Rap and Hip Hop, that's why i posted the poll, just to know wt u guys think

alphaman is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    For some it's a positive outlet, for others it's a negative.

It's the same w/rock music, or any type of "interest"/hobby/etc.

There is no cut/dry answer.

~SC~

I agree, but I think overall, it's more negative. I've seen it w/ my own two eyes. And don't get me wrong, I listen to a lot of it.

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    The more people fight it the more appealing it will be to young people in the rebel phase. I say ignore it and it will go away. Just like The hippies faded and the 70s disco and the 80s heavy metal. It's just the in thing for now.

Nobody ONLY listens to Kanye West, Tribe Called Quest, etc.

BoL0 is offline Junior Member
    How the hell are you going to fight hip hop but have groups like Outkast, Alicia Keys, Erika badu, Destinys Child, Black Eyed Peas among others good performers perform for thousands of kids at a time.

Society is looking for someone to blame for its own actions and unfortunately alot of people are looking in the wrong direction. The powers at hand are responsible for pacifying everything and making the population to dependent to make rational decisions for themselves. Soon we wont be able to dress a certian way without being harassed.......OOOPS already there.........whats next???

sorry for the rant.....

BoL0

Quote Originally Posted by BoL0
    How the hell are you going to fight hip hop but have groups like Outkast, Alicia Keys, Erika badu, Destinys Child, Black Eyed Peas among others good performers perform for thousands of kids at a time.

Society is looking for someone to blame for its own actions and unfortunately alot of people are looking in the wrong direction. The powers at hand are responsible for pacifying everything and making the population to dependent to make rational decisions for themselves. Soon we wont be able to dress a certian way without being harassed.......OOOPS already there.........whats next???

sorry for the rant.....

BoL0

Only one of those groups is a rap group. And I seen my best friend who was obsessed w/ rap culture, get busted selling weight, then after he gets outta jail, we're on his couch watching JayZ's, "Big Pimpin'" video on his couch, and he's like, "Damn, I can't take makin' $7/hr as a hotel desk clerk when I was "big pimpin'", like that six months ago." YEAH, well now he's dead, my friend. And I'm not blaming it hiphop, but it's influence was def negative in his case.

my bad it says hiphop, well only 2 of those groups are hiphop. bolo.

If you listen to the whole record it has alot of hip hop style music in it but......thats my concern, hip hop is sooo broad if you cut it out then alot of other stuff will leave also.

If you have a group like Outkast that talks about alot of eye opening issues, and a group like Mobb Deep that rap about alot of street issues in the same category, is anyone able to say that "Hip Hop" is the blame???

I wouldn't sweat it, they can't get rid of it. Free speech!

Blog Entries
    i'd say it got a really bad effect, if u take a close look at teens nowadays, most of them don't wanna work, they just wanna sell drugs and get "pimped" and become a "G" and all that bullcrap, rock music had it's effects too but it's uncountable comparing to the hip hop.

"Rap" and "culture" in the same phrase? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Red

Did all the older songs catch as much heat as hiphop, smoking drugs was a very popular topic in the 70's and to this day we charish, remix, and remake those songs.

why is hiphop so targeted??

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup

Red

01/01/1969

Quote Originally Posted by BoL0
    Did all the older songs catch as much heat as hiphop, smoking drugs was a very popular topic in the 70's and to this day we charish, remix, and remake those songs.

why is hiphop so targeted??

It all started w/ NWA.

All this bad publicity on hiphop makes it bad for the truly good artist out there.

Im a big Mos Def, Common, RedMan, MethodMan fan.

i think hiphop and violence really got big with that socalled eastcoast westcoast war...

RIP Tupac/Biggie/Big Pun/Jam Master J.........

Quote Originally Posted by alphaman
    01/01/1969
    So, I'm not a little kid... and your point is?

Red

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    rap is used as a excuse just like rock and roll ihave listened to rock and roll when i was much younger and i've been into rap since i was 15 and i've never popped a cap in someone's ass

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Half the country has AIDS, 10's of thousands of people have cancer, and were worried about rap!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup

Red
    that's ain't my expression, CNN invented it.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Having a popular phrase like "bitch" for "girlfriend/wife" is horrible. I think rappers speak like they have a Grade 7 education. I personally loath the rap scene or any sub culture of it.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Having a popular phrase like "bitch" for "girlfriend/wife" is horrible. I think rappers speak like they have a Grade 7 education. I personally loath the rap scene or any sub culture of it.
    I agree but not every hip artist has a 7th grade education. Mos Def graduated from college, Jurrasic 5(SP?), De la Soul, The Roots, and Common are just to name a few who have college degrees.

If I remember correctly Mos Def knows 2-3 languages and has a degree in the arts. The band The Roots met and formed in college.

I can see your valid point with using the word bitch to describe or name a woman and I feel the exact same way, but I cant catagorize all hip hop culture as being ignorant or uneducated.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

i gotta say it goes both ways...its gotta go as the way people interpret it...

rappers talk about drugs murder and money what "urban" kids relate to...but it talks about how they come out of it.,...

alot of genres can be looked at from either side of the spectrum....u gotta have an open mind and apprecaite free speech...

Quote Originally Posted by abstrack
    I agree but not every hip artist has a 7th grade education. Mos Def graduated from college, Jurrasic 5(SP?), De la Soul, The Roots, and Common are just to name a few who have college degrees.

If I remember correctly Mos Def knows 2-3 languages and has a degree in the arts. The band The Roots met and formed in college.

I can see your valid point with using the word bitch to describe or name a woman and I feel the exact same way, but I cant catagorize all hip hop culture as being ignorant or uneducated.

you have to add Tupac in that group...read some of his poetry you will see he was a highly intellegent man...he thought and spoke deep....and was "thug" as some people would say at the same time...

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    i use hip hop for what it is.. good beats, music to get girls do shake their butts, and show of their bodies.. i don't embrace the culture..

if someone can be influenced by music enough to make him base his lifestyle on it.. that person will have little effect on anything, let alone society.

word homies

Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell
    i use hip hop for what it is.. good beats, music to get girls do shake their butts, and show of their bodies.. i don't embrace the culture..

if someone can be influenced by music enough to make him base his lifestyle on it.. that person will have little effect on anything, let alone society.

word homies
    '

hey im not trying to put you on the cross just asking...

nothing in life influences you to do what you do?

Blog Entries
    i think everything on TV, Music, Society...etc has effects on people and specially teens cause they wanna be "KOOL"

Blog Entries

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell

natural

yea.. any time i hear dmx i wanna kick some ass, but i won't let it affect my day to day life.

as a a beer drinker does not make him an alcoholic..

Music can have effects for example......before a football game i listen to alot of Krunk music( Lil john and the Eastside boys) ......but it gets me hyped up to play the game not shoot up the club........

Do you honestly think a criminal can honestly say " I NEVER THOUGHT about doing what i did until i heard this song, or saw this movie"???

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by abstrack

Rap not Hip Hop. Beastie Boys rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Rap not Hip Hop. Beastie Boys rock.

rap4 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rp)
    n.
    Slang. A talk, conversation, or discussion.

A form of popular music developed especially in African-American urban communities and characterized by spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics with a syncopated, repetitive rhythmic accompaniment.
    A composition or performance of such music.

intr.v. rapped, rap·ping, raps
    Slang. To discuss freely and at length.
    To perform rap music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Possibly from rap1.]
    Our Living Language The culture of hip-hop has been the source of dozens of words and expressions in American English, of which rap is one of the most familiar. The word is probably a development ultimately of rap meaning “to hit.” It shows up in the early 1900s in the extended meaning “to express orally,” as used by so notable a figure as Winston Churchill in 1933. Over the next few decades it came to mean “to discuss or debate informally,” a meaning that was well established in the African-American community by the late 1960s. A decade later the word was applied to an evolving style of music characterized by, among other things, beat-driven rhymes of an often improvisatory nature. The slang that is integral to the lyrics of rap continues to be a source of borrowings into colloquial American English; recent examples include chill meaning “to calm down,” and diss meaning “to show disrespect to.” These are but the latest examples in a long series of such borrowings from Black English stretching back a century or more, many of them directly from popular music lyrics or from musicians' lingo.

hip-hop ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hphp) or hip hop
    n.
    A popular urban youth culture, closely associated with rap music and with the style and fashions of African-American inner-city residents.
    Rap music.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Man dont u just love it when the news channels talk shit , when theres a problem they want the easy way out and end up blaming ne1 they find/the people will believe

how ****ing dumb i wish ppl would take responsibility for their own actions not blame everything on satan oo satan made me do it , rap , metal , murder then they say i was blinded by anger he was just so annoying wtf i wouldnt kill some1 and say but he made me do it wake up ppl !!!!!!

SATAN MADE ME WRITE THIS

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member
    I don't think the music really effects the teens, I think its mainly the actions of the artists...

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    I think its the music because people think they can live the life of 50cent its retarted it just makes me sick when white guys try and act black also

Thread Information