Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Top 3 sci fi authors and top 3 sci fi books

Lets hear them. I am heading for the library within a few days and want to read some sci fi again

my top 3 authors is without a doubt:
    Douglas Adams
    Isaac Asimov
    Frederik Pohl.

The hitchhikers guide, the foundation books and the Heechee books are my favorite book series ever. Adams for his humor(only book that ever made me laugh my ass of while reading it), Asimov for his epic scope and Pohl because of the depth of the whole thing.

It was hard not to include Arthur C Clarke on the list because I love 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 series almost as much as the other 3 mentioned. I will give him this mention instead

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. I actually liked the 2nd book in the series the best. I love the concept of Jane. That and she secretly gave me a boner.

what is the series about?

Space, aliens, coexisting with said aliens, genocide (err, xenocide), a boy coming to terms with the atrocities he unknowingly committed, non carbon based life (thats Jane, she's cool). I dunno, its an extremely famous series. I know lots of people who aren't into sci-fi but have still read it. It doesn't really start to get deep till the 2nd book though. The first book is more of a suspense thriller?

Il check it out

OK, here is the concept of Jane.

Think of our brains. What are they? Just billions of electric pulses constantly firing across our neurotic web/highway/brain.

Ender's world is in the future. The internet has gotten like a billion times bigger and stretches across the galaxy, blah blah. Jane is a conscience that came to be from the trillions of network packets being transmitted all over the internet (like neurons firing in our brains).

She was cool. She like controlled the entire net, i.e. she was like the most powerful being in the universe. And it was interesting just to hear about how she thinks and stuff. Like one second to use was like years to her because of some weird physics crap about being transmitted all over the galaxy a thousand times a second or something.

My brain hurts, I'm going to eat some steroids or something.

Oh, P.S. She could communicate with Ender via any computer. She would make a graphic of herself on the screen and a voice for herself on the speakers. I always imagined both of them being extremely sexy...seeing as how she could make them however she wanted...

Wow, I'm a typical computer programmer nerd.
    Last edited by clockworks; 07-15-2005 at 04:18 PM.

they are gonna make a movie out of it
    http://www.frescopictures.com/movies...me_update.html

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Frank Herbert, author of the Dune books.
    Orson Scott Card, author of the Ender Trilogy ( I think it was a trilogy ) as well as the Alvin Maker series.

If you haven't read these books you really don't know SciFi.

I havent read those books lol and Im no super big sci fi fanatic. But I consider clarke, heinlein and asimov to be the biggest sci fi authors (I only say that because I like them )

I have only seen the Dune movie but not my cup of tea. To "wierd". I like "harder" sci fi.

the funniest sci fi books except hitchhikers is the stainless steel rat books by Harry harrison. Freaking hilarous.

anyone read the rama books btw?

or solaris. I dont know what it is about that book but its the spookiets most disturbing book I have ever read. Freaks me out big time.

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    John whyndam wrote a book called the chrysalids. I was in my first year of uni and read it in like 3 days (diddnt even get distracted by the parties etc).

Oh man don't get me started on Sci-Fi

I live for real hardcore scifi (don't give me no sissy fantasy!)

- Heinlein rules... no if's but's or why's about it.
    - OSC comes in close second with the Ender and Bean (enders shadow) series
    - Assimov's robot series defined our view and concept of robotics (and were damm good books)
    - Spider Robinson's "Callahans" series also ranks right up there
    - Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat is quite funny (but the heinlein comedic influence is undeniable!)
    - Steven R Donaldson is more known for fantasy (Tomas Covenant), but his Gap Into Conflict series was an awesome foray into hardcore "space opera" scifi.
    - Arthur C Clarke... I find his a little long winded and drifty, but he is undeniably an icon of sci-fi.

And then comes Phil. K Dick, Ursula LeGuin, Larry Niven, Anne McCaffrey, Greg Bear, L.E. Modesitt, Fred Pohl... (and on and on and on)

And of course I have to mention the author who got me hooked on sci-fi when I was 11 years old... Jules Verne "From the earth to the moon".

Red

ketchup do you like Pohl?

Gonna have to read some of your suggestions.

Didnt mention Heinlein in my list since I have only read Starship troppers by him. But man do I love that book. What is his best books?

Heinlein has dozens of amazing short stories, and in the full novels I'd say my favorites are:

- The cat who walks thru walls (great book!)
    - Job: A comedy of justice
    - Stranger in a strange land
    - The door into summer
    - Puppet Masters
    - The moon is a harsh mistress
    - Time enough for love

If you want a good anthology of short stories: The Past thru tomorrow

John Varley is another pretty good Sci-Fi author... Millenium (they made a horrible movie version of this book in the 90's) is pretty cool book and Overdrawn at the memory bank is a great short story from him.

Red

I have the cat who walk through walls at home. Gonna read it soon , didnt know heinlein was the guy that wrote puppet masters. I hope the book is better then the crap movies

I finished enders game 3 days ago and LOVED it. But I read speaker for the dead yesterday and it wasnt that good imo. I wonder how the **** it could win those awards. Not much sci fi in it. It was redable and enjoyable but no even close to enders game!!

Is the third installment in the series any good?

Hope the enders game movie isnt a disapointment but I dont understand how they will capture it on the screen. Cant se how they can make a movie with 6 year old kids as stars and that involves alot of character development

Right now Im reading Pandoras star by Peter Hamilton and I like it alot. Big thick solid book just how I like them. 1200 pages hell yeah. It should be illegal for books to be under 700 pages thick.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I finished enders game 3 days ago and LOVED it. But I read speaker for the dead yesterday and it wasnt that good imo. I wonder how the **** it could win those awards. Not much sci fi in it. It was redable and enjoyable but no even close to enders game!!
    Just go straight to Enders Shadow

I liked it a lot, it's the same story as Enders Game but seen from the eyes of another kid (Bean). Good story!

Red

bean is cool so got to pic that book upp

so xenocide isnt good?

whats orson scott cards other books like?

have you read peter hamilton?

Im half through the cat who walks through walls btw and DAMN that is a high pace book. Feels like beeing on a ****ing rollercoaster when reading it. Insanity.

Thread Information