G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!

Computer guru's help!

Hey, I'm having a problem with my computer. I'm trying to hook it up to my cable modem but It's not going so well. I'm able to ping the ISP but it times out when I try to ping the gateway. The tech told me that it's my firewall but I have it dissabled so they said that it's some program that I have running in the background. I don't have any firewall programs that I know of, can anyone give me any suggestions?

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Are you using Windows XP? XP has in a built in firewall.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    With my cable company i had to register a mac address for a nic card and if the mac doesn't match the one I am using no juice. I have adsl/cable router to share the connection with more than one computer and I have to setup the mac address cloning so that the cable company will see the correct mac address from the router. Also with a DSL/Cable router most of the time you need to specify the HOST name and domain name in the software. You can get the values for those by going to a dos prompt and typing ipconfig /all /batch c:\test.txt then open the c:\test.txt file for the info and program it into your router software. Not sure if this is helpful or even if you are using a dsl/cable router....

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Okay there could be several things causing this. First off, what kind of firewall are you running? If it is Zone Alarm, I have seen even though you have it not running it is blocking Internet Traffic, I had a friend who had to actually go in and manually remove it, in the registry.
    Norton Internet Security software will do the exact same thing if it is corrupted.
    You could have a virus, or your TCP/** protocol could be corrupted. Also did you uninstall your Last ISP software?
    Few things to do to troubleshoot problem down:
    First off kill every program in the background running all programs except the Systray and explorer, see if you can get out.
    Secondly, remove TCP/** protcol and all networking components listed in the PROPERTIES of network (Start/Settings/Control Panel/network) delete all components in there, and restart. Then go back in and add TCP/**, Client for MS Networks, your network card of course and try again. You will have to restart your puter again after you reinstall. Be sure and restart when it askes you to restart.
    Make sure your system is virus free (scan with an updated virus scanner) go here and you can get a free scan (but it will not clean your system). www.commandcom.com (click on "Command on Demand), follow the instructions. Remember this will only scan to see if you have a virus, if you do it will tell you, and you can pay to clean it.
    If that does not work, try uninstalling AOL, that has some issues too. Try to completely remove your firewall software. If none of these work, you OS and Internet Explorer could be corrupted beyond repair, (I have seen this, rare but it does happen). Internet Explorer and Windows 98/ME/XP/2000 are soo intergrated with one another that once you corrupt one, it is hard to repair. You can also try to rerun the IE setup, and choose repair, I have never known this to work, but it is worth a try.
    By the way, for your own info: I work on puters all day everyday, that is my job.. so if you need some help drop me a PM.

justme is offline Associate Member
    I used to be employed with a larger cable internet provider in Canada and we ran into zone alarm type firewalls that would get installed and turned off or uninstalled but would not actually turn off.

If you want to determine if it is really your firewall call up a buddy of yours and tell them to ping your I P address continually while you reboot your computer. When your computer reboots your buddy should see a couple of responses while windows loads up and then drop off. (if it's the firewall) if it doesn't respond at all then it's not your firewall unless you are using a hardware firewall.

to do a continual ping
    click on start, click on run
    type command or cmd (depending on your operating system)
    once the dos prompt is open
    type ping -t 123.123.123.123 (replace the 123 with numbers of your i p address)

hope this helps
    Justme

nakkid is offline Honorary Member
    G Child.. i need to know ur OS and how you connect to your cable modem? ethernet or router? i'll tell you then how to fix it in no time.. let me know.

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    Originally posted by nakkid
    G Child.. i need to know ur OS and how you connect to your cable modem? ethernet or router? i'll tell you then how to fix it in no time.. let me know.
    Thanks bro, OS is WinXP and I'm connected with the onboard NIC ethernet, no router.

Like I said, I tried the ping already, pinging my ISP worked, but pinging the gateway doesn't, it times out. Also, it won't repair or renew the ISP.

Thread Information