Justarting is offline Associate Member

Will my doctor prescribe me PAXIL? Canadian...

Hi there,
    sorry for being offtopic but I think it is still somewhat of your guys speciality here.

I have been on a generic brand of paxil that I purchased on the black market recently for anxiety problems. I know, I should have spoken to my doctor first, but I am a rather proud individual and I thought I would rather buy some myself, see if it works, and then go from there if I need more. Problem is, it has worked, and it has reduced my anxiety quite a bit, but my supply now is limited. I have a doctor's appointment scheduled soon, but I'm just wondering how I should go about requesting this? Am I going to be just another "junkie" in the doctor's eyes and therefore not get a prescripiton? The thing is, I now NEED this, just the though of running out has brought on old feelings of uncontrolled anxiety and I'm not sure what I'll do if the doctor doesn't prescribe it. Thanks veyr much.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd be VERY honest with him and tell him what you told us here.

He won't want you suffereing from a lack of medicine, as cutting anti d's out cold turkey can lead to severe issues, seizures, etc. Then he can slowly reduce your dosage and take you off of it if he feels something else may be more suitable for you.

I'd never take any black market drugs that are aimed at helping depression, because you never know what you are getting.

~SC~

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    SC absolutly right, I self medicated myself with clonopin for depression, stopped cold turkey and was so fucd up for a year, still aint right. Go see a doctor be totaly honest and he should take care of you. If not find a doc that will help.

Justarting is offline Associate Member
    thanks guys, I hope he doesn't decide to take me off, but I'm sure he won't make me quit cold turkey. The only problem is, my family doc is out of commission, and I'm basically going to see a doctor on call... I know this must hurt my chances of seeming credible.

LoggedOut is offline Junior Member
    Paxil is probably the wortst antidepressant to quit.... cold turkey or gradual..... big "lightning zaps" is the best way to describe it.......... no fun best of luck

doublewide is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoggedOut
    Paxil is probably the wortst antidepressant to quit.... cold turkey or gradual..... big "lightning zaps" is the best way to describe it.......... no fun best of luck
    Yes, that is a good way to describe it. No fun getting off of it. However, I know some people who take it and it changed their lives.

Maraxus is offline Banned
    ugh,

paxil is a terrible drug. You will become dependant on it, trust me. What I have found to help more than drugs is Counseling. Trust me bro those drugs wont get rid of anything, they will only supress them. Get to the root of your problems, your mind, and overcome.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    doctors now a days precribe anything

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus
    ugh,

paxil is a terrible drug. You will become dependant on it, trust me. What I have found to help more than drugs is Counseling. Trust me bro those drugs wont get rid of anything, they will only supress them. Get to the root of your problems, your mind, and overcome.
    I have to disagree SLIGHTLY. It's not that people become dependent on these drugs as in addicted, they often do need them to stay better ALONG with counceling. The worst thing people can do, whether your suffering from depression, anxiety, bipolar, ADHD or any other mental illness, is to think "hey, I'm feeling better I dont need these drugs" and then come off them on their own.

These people will often suffer a relapse at this point, which ends up with them being worse than when they started. Now, this obviously does not apply to everyone but the fact of the matter is, if you TRULEY suffer a mental illness, rather than just think you do, there are chemical imbalances going on in your body, this can be an excess of neurotransmitters, a deficiency an abnormal response or a combination. Therefore as PART of your treatment, pharmaceutical agents are needed.I have studied this extensively and I deal with it to a certain extent as a living in addition to having to live with someone for 4 years while they suffered from GAD

I do believe you need both the drugs and the counceling. I'm sure your doctor would not want you to be on "black market" Paxil, he would want the best for you. Be honest with him, he will not judge you.
    Last edited by SexyKitty; 07-19-2005 at 09:25 AM.

flexin-rph is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I'd be VERY honest with him and tell him what you told us here.

He won't want you suffereing from a lack of medicine, as cutting anti d's out cold turkey can lead to severe issues, seizures, etc. Then he can slowly reduce your dosage and take you off of it if he feels something else may be more suitable for you.

I'd never take any black market drugs that are aimed at helping depression, because you never know what you are getting.

~SC~
    Agreed. Paxil (paroxetine) is NOT a controlled substance, so you shouldn't be considered a "junkie" in any physician's eyes. I would just be honest. Most MD's should not have a problem extending your therapy w/ this.

Maraxus is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyKitty
    I have to disagree SLIGHTLY. It's not that people become dependent on these drugs as in addicted, they often do need them to stay better ALONG with counceling. The worst thing people can do, whether your suffering from depression, anxiety, bipolar, ADHD or any other mental illness, is to think "hey, I'm feeling better I dont need these drugs" and then come off them on their own.

These people will often suffer a relapse at this point, which ends up with them being worse than when they started. Now, this obviously does not apply to everyone but the fact of the matter is, if you TRULEY suffer a mental illness, rather than just think you do, there are chemical imbalances going on in your body, this can be an excess of neurotransmitters, a deficiency an abnormal response or a combination. Therefore as PART of your treatment, pharmaceutical agents are needed.I have studied this extensively and I deal with it to a certain extent as a living in addition to having to live with someone for 4 years while they suffered from GAD

I do believe you need both the drugs and the counceling. I'm sure your doctor would not want you to be on "black market" Paxil, he would want the best for you. Be honest with him, he will not judge you.

Have you ever been with someone that had to come off of paxil? The constant shaking, the headaches, the vomiting, the nausea, the dehydration. It is addictive.

Although some people can quit Paxil and suffer no withdrawal repercussions, countless numbers of folks have quit or tapered and have suffered nausea, dizziness, electric shock sensations known as “the zaps”, headache, flu-like symptoms, balance problems, anxiety, sleep problems, gastro-intestinal problems, sweats, vivid dreaming, sensitivity to light and/or sound, etc. The list goes on and on…..

Source:http://paxil.bizland.com/jbuzzw.htm

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus
    Have you ever been with someone that had to come off of paxil? The constant shaking, the headaches, the vomiting, the nausea, the dehydration. It is addictive.

Although some people can quit Paxil and suffer no withdrawal repercussions, countless numbers of folks have quit or tapered and have suffered nausea, dizziness, electric shock sensations known as “the zaps”, headache, flu-like symptoms, balance problems, anxiety, sleep problems, gastro-intestinal problems, sweats, vivid dreaming, sensitivity to light and/or sound, etc. The list goes on and on…..

Source:http://paxil.bizland.com/jbuzzw.htm

Yes I have. My ex boyfriend suffered from GAD and i was there through all the different drugs he tried before he found one that worked for him. The symptoms you descrebed were ones that he experienced while ON Paxil, thats how bad it was for him. I'm not saying it's a good drug, but whats not good for some people may still work for others. Psychiatrists have a saying "The dose that gets you well, keeps you well", in other words dont fukk with what works for you when it comes to mental health (unless it could cause other problmes then you have to weigh the pros and cons)

This was not a good drug for my exboyfriend at all and with drugs that affect the nervous system, everyone reacts differently. Just because one drug works well for one person, doesnt mean it will work well for another. It was actually Efexor XR that worked for him.

The other thing to consider is that there is a difference between a drug causing addiction, a habit forming drug (e.g. percocet) and one that causes withdrawal symptoms. Many drugs cause you to have "withdrawal symptoms" when coming off, its the rebound effect your body goes through when the drug is absent, which is why on most labels it says not to immediately stop taking the drug. ESPECIALLY with drugs that affect the nervous system, people should be tapered off.

All I'm saying is he needs to go to the doctor to get a proper diagnosis and a proper prescription, maybe Paxil, maybe something else. I'm just saying he shouldnt be self-medicating, and the fact that it's "black market" is pretty sketchy. With his doctor he can determine what he has, what drug works best for him and seek proper counseling.

SK
    Last edited by SexyKitty; 07-19-2005 at 07:50 PM.

Thread Information