Thread: AMD vs Celeron

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member

AMD vs Celeron

Looking for educated peoples take on the debate between the two? Pros and Cons?
    thanx

Cdub is offline Associate Member
    amd is the name a company, celeron is the name of a slow ass chip.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    celeron = crap. dont bother.
    i am and have been an AMD fan since the beginning, more bang for your buck. Intel has the name behind them but AMD isnt far behind. not to say that Intel chips are bad, i use them everday at work, but my home systems are all AMD, except my laptop.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    cdub is right. amd is the company and celeron is the name of an intel chip.

if you want amd get the athlon 64 not the sempron.
    and if you want intel you get the p4 or pD not the celeron.

if for a laptop you want either the pentium M, athlon 64, turion 64 or possibly the P4..

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    amd > celeron

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    celeron =

every chips model of AMD are better than that POS of celeron

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Like everyone has been saying, you're a bit confused. AMD is the name of a company and Celeron is the name of a specific model of processor (for a different company).

The Celeron is the "budget" version of Intel's processor line. What makes it different...
    * smaller cache
    * decreased pipelines
    * lower clock speed
    * possibly reduced (or non existant) multimedia extensions

It depends on what you are doing. If you are surfing the web, checking emails, using MS Office...save the money and get a Celeron (or AMD's comparative processor, the Sempron).

If you are doing gaming, multimedia stuff (digital imaging, video encoding, audio encoding), go with a higher end chip.

The Pentium M is probably the best chip on the market. It blows away the Pentium 4. How embarrassing for the Pentium 4 engineers. The low power, laptop processor is better than the no holds barred desktop (supposed) powerhouse. Haha, f-ing idiots.

AMD makes a lower power 64 bit processor called the Turion. It isn't as low power as the Pentium M, but its getting there.

physio_sport is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Looking for educated peoples take on the debate between the two? Pros and Cons?
    thanx

celeron is a cpu type and amd is a company.

intel celeron is equal to amd sampron. but the sampron is actally a very good budget cpu and is better then a celron.

chips such as celron/sampron etc.. are great for work based applications such as office work and buisness work where you mainly need to do spreadsheets and wordprocessing and listen to music and do some multimedia and so on. dont get me wrong the sempron is very powerfull but if a where you i would try and get the athlon 64 fx which is very good.
    also sempron/celeron are 32bit processors and have lower cache memory then the newer 64bit processors not that it makes a difference becuase no one has written any 64-bit opperating systems.

the celeron's flux capacitor is smaller than any AMD chip

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    If you're still looking at a laptop...neither! Stay with P4's...or now the Mobile.

there's some good coupons from DELL floating around. $750 off these select notebooks:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...PSyF0038155069

i bought mine for 1300 and it's pretty loaded. we bought one for my mom that was under 900 bucks, not too bad.

Thanx guys lol, I am well aware of what AMD and Celeron are, I was wondering everyones view on the chips! Well at least celeron has an onboard cashe now.. I am looking for a laptop, yes MBH! Its for school use if that helps any

go with the pentium M. cant go wrong.

check that link that I posted. They post the coupon right below the image of the laptop. Just configure your machine, add it to your cart, then apply the coupon to see the savings. I bought an Inspiron 6000, 1.8GHz 2MB cache, 40GB hard drive, 128MB dedicated video memory ATI x300 i think, 1GB of ram, DVD=-RW with Dual Layer support, wireless B/G, bluetooth, and a bag for 1300 out the door. I had an extra coupon for the memory but that's about what it'll cost you for the same setup.

For my mom's system, we left everything at default (1.6GHz, 40GB, shared video memory, 512MB of ram, etc) and got it for under 900. If you need help just shoot me a pm, I work in the IT dept for Kodak so I've got plenty of time to help out

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Actually, it depends on which Celeron chip you are looking at, in past years Celeron has been just a cheap Intel chip, but there was a recent Celeron that would out due a lot of the middle end AMD chips. I hate Intel and wont ever return to them as a CPU, AMD has always been in the lead with performance. The only downside is most of the time AMD's can turn into little space heaters.

Quote Originally Posted by mekler
    check that link that I posted. They post the coupon right below the image of the laptop. Just configure your machine, add it to your cart, then apply the coupon to see the savings. I bought an Inspiron 6000, 1.8GHz 2MB cache, 40GB hard drive, 128MB dedicated video memory ATI x300 i think, 1GB of ram, DVD=-RW with Dual Layer support, wireless B/G, bluetooth, and a bag for 1300 out the door. I had an extra coupon for the memory but that's about what it'll cost you for the same setup.

For my mom's system, we left everything at default (1.6GHz, 40GB, shared video memory, 512MB of ram, etc) and got it for under 900. If you need help just shoot me a pm, I work in the IT dept for Kodak so I've got plenty of time to help out
    LOL.. I think the cupons are valid only in the US only

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    Actually, it depends on which Celeron chip you are looking at, in past years Celeron has been just a cheap Intel chip, but there was a recent Celeron that would out due a lot of the middle end AMD chips. I hate Intel and wont ever return to them as a CPU, AMD has always been in the lead with performance. The only downside is most of the time AMD's can turn into little space heaters.
    They run freaking hot!! See contrary to everyone here, a lot of computer experts and nerds state that Celerons are a good chip to run etc now adays.. Personally I hate AMD.. My home computer is nothing but trouble.. My dad is running a Pentium and half the time im downstairs on his

LOL.. I think the cupons are valid only in the US only

oh i didnt realize you werent in the US, sorry! did you actually try to order one?

yeah i'll have to agree on the space heater comment, i've got a dual athlon system plus my athlon 3200xp in the same room and i'm sweating as we speak

I am looking for a laptop
    Then there is no other choice than the Pentium M. That is the best processor on the market for EITHER desktop or laptop...but imo its MANDATORY for a laptop.

Its thermal output rating is 25 W, where as the Pentium 4 is 100 W. This translates into massive increase in battery life, and also the ability to rest the laptop in your lap (forget doing that with a P4 unless you want 3rd degree burns).

Also, the PM schooled the P4 in a Quake3 benchmark. The tests were conducted with the fastest PM in the market (2 ghz) vs. the fastest P4 on the market (I dunno, over 3 ghz I think).

All in all, the P4 is an engineering disaster. Intel wanted to push the megahertz limit for marketing reasons and the result was a piece of sh-t chip.

A little tidbit of trivia...the Pentium M's architecture is based on the Pentium 3 architecture.

pentium m in a desktop?? is that even an option?

Quote Originally Posted by anaBROLIC
    pentium m in a desktop?? is that even an option?
    A few companies sell adapter cards. They did a review on tomshardware.com.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    Then there is no other choice than the Pentium M. That is the best processor on the market for EITHER desktop or laptop...but imo its MANDATORY for a laptop.

Its thermal output rating is 25 W, where as the Pentium 4 is 100 W. This translates into massive increase in battery life, and also the ability to rest the laptop in your lap (forget doing that with a P4 unless you want 3rd degree burns).

Also, the PM schooled the P4 in a Quake3 benchmark. The tests were conducted with the fastest PM in the market (2 ghz) vs. the fastest P4 on the market (I dunno, over 3 ghz I think).

All in all, the P4 is an engineering disaster. Intel wanted to push the megahertz limit for marketing reasons and the result was a piece of sh-t chip.

A little tidbit of trivia...the Pentium M's architecture is based on the Pentium 3 architecture.
    Wow, really informative! Thanx!

Wow, really informative! Thanx!
    NP. Here is the link to the article that backs up my ranting.

Summary:
    With a simple adapter, Intel's Pentium M processor can be used on veteran mainboards based on the i865 and i875 chipsets. Would you believe that this unorthodox combination proves to be so fast that it beats even the Athlon 64 FX and the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition?!
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

Thread Information