Silverbackgorilla is offline Junior Member

Tattoo removal info

I have some tattoos that I am considering having lasered off..

What is the biggest tattoo you guys have seen or know of someone getting lasered off? Full sleeves, half sleeve, etc?

What kind of removal is the best?
    Is there alot of scarring? Other negative sides?
    Anything else?

What would it cost to have a sleeve removed, or a half sleeve(black only color), roughly priced?

Thanks

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    OMG, you want a whole sleeve removed, or half sleeve? I hate to tell you this but it's gonna cost a fortune. A friend of mine got a quote on getting this gay little dolphin removed, its not even filled in, it's black outline and about 3 inches long and the quote was $1600 bucks! I think that was on the high side but I know its still pricey. It's usually about $200-$400 a session so it will all depend on how many sessions you will need.

Easiest colours to remove are blue, black and red (basically the dark inks) Yellow is the hardest because its hardest for the laser to "see".

It's very difficult to predict the success of tatto removal cause the person removing it cant tell how deep the ink went, the quantity that was used and what ink was used, all this makes a difference. In most cases you can get at least 95% removal and not much scarring any more. This has improved significantly since they first started using laser to remove tatoos.

I'm getting one removed, I just cant afford it right now.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    i took off three tats. they were home made, i put them on when i was a wayward teenager. i used india ink and a needle. when i went into the service, they offended a certain ethnic group, so i had the opportunity to have them removed. they didnt have lazer technology in the early 70s. they used a technique called salt abrasion. in other words they rubbed then out with salt. hurt like hell.....but it worked. the scars aint bad, it looks like i was burned, but you really have to look close to notice.

I am considering getting a tatto removed,hopefully it wont be that much

Not too bad, I got a quote the other day.

Quote was for doing both arms from about 2 inches above my elbows down to my wrist(I have 2 sleeves--not completely covered, but designs that go all over my arms adn pretty much cover all my skin)

Each time I would go, it would cost $700 plus I would have to buy some numbing cream a few times to put on it before each visit

She said it would probably take around 6 visits but prepare to possibly have a few more. Its still expensive, but not what I was thinking it would be.. Worst case I would think would be 10 visits.. so $7000. Nothing like I figured or heard from other people

Jerzey is offline Member
    Can I ask why you want them removed? Did you get them a long time ago and not think them through first or get sick of them

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    It is very expensive. I used to work for a laser company. It works great on Black Red, but is horrible on Blue. Now keep in mind I did this like 8 years ago so things have changed. It generally takes about 5-12 sessions before they are totally removed too. So you need to plan on going back a lot. You should specifcally ask about numerious sessions. Ask them if they are pay per session or if it is a package deal kinda thing. Ask if the laser they use covers the wavelengths of light that removes blue and green. Different wavelengths of light remove differnt colors. Good luck man. Its a long process so be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawg50
    It is very expensive. I used to work for a laser company. It works great on Black Red, but is horrible on Blue. Now keep in mind I did this like 8 years ago so things have changed. It generally takes about 5-12 sessions before they are totally removed too. So you need to plan on going back a lot. You should specifcally ask about numerious sessions. Ask them if they are pay per session or if it is a package deal kinda thing. Ask if the laser they use covers the wavelengths of light that removes blue and green. Different wavelengths of light remove differnt colors. Good luck man. Its a long process so be patient.

Any advice in selecting someone to do it?
    Should they be a dermatologist or another doctor?
    Would a RN with training in removal be okay?
    Any other advice in finding a legit place?

Thanks bro

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I wanted to get mine removed but with those kind of prices I guess i will just live with it.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a new tatoo over the old one..

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i have one tat... i got it when i was 17 and i like it but i just dont want it on my arm

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    what a dumbass i am

Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell
    wouldn't it be cheaper to just get a new tatoo over the old one..

I cant really get a new tattoo over sleeves..

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackgorilla
    sleeves, dang bro your fxcked.. get ready to spend some $$

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Actually you might be suprised..some artist do some amazing coverups. With that said, if your tatto is only black as you stated, you stand a good chance of having it burned off by laser quite quickly, black burns off very readily. If it's green you are scre**d. In '94 I got a large tribal back piece on my back in black. I didn't like it. In '96 I got it burned off, it took 4 sittings of about three hours each for a very large tattoo. At the end of the treatments 2 months later you could see a faint outline. Within a year you could look at my back and never know I had a tattoo there. The good news..I was a jarhead at the time and uncle sam picked up the tab in full at a military hospital. If this option isn't available I know many clinics in metropolitan areas offer free tatto removal for gang members, thus convince the clinic md that your tattoo is gang related and you might get your work done free of charge. If that fails there's always the burner on the stove. good luck.

Any advice in selecting someone to do it?
    Should they be a dermatologist or another doctor?
    Would a RN with training in removal be okay?
    Any other advice in finding a legit place?

Thanks bro
    Well I worked with mostly Derms and Plastics. I would recommend a Derm though, that is just what they do, and they always seemed more knowledgeable than the plastics did. RN.... Well, If your gonna pay that kinda money you deserve to have a doc do it. my experiance was that most of the RN's did not know what they were doing. If you live in Chicago or Colorado I might know some good ones otherwise I would just do a search on the internet and ask for refs.
    Good luck bud

Quote Originally Posted by gymnutt
    Actually you might be suprised..some artist do some amazing coverups. With that said, if your tatto is only black as you stated, you stand a good chance of having it burned off by laser quite quickly, black burns off very readily. If it's green you are scre**d. In '94 I got a large tribal back piece on my back in black. I didn't like it. In '96 I got it burned off, it took 4 sittings of about three hours each for a very large tattoo. At the end of the treatments 2 months later you could see a faint outline. Within a year you could look at my back and never know I had a tattoo there. The good news..I was a jarhead at the time and uncle sam picked up the tab in full at a military hospital. If this option isn't available I know many clinics in metropolitan areas offer free tatto removal for gang members, thus convince the clinic md that your tattoo is gang related and you might get your work done free of charge. If that fails there's always the burner on the stove. good luck.
    Great info, thanks bro... Do you remember what kind of laser they used?

Thanks again, makes me feel better about the chances of my tattoo's coming off completely, if I decide to do it

I believe they were called a Yag lazer with a 512 wavelength, and 1024 wavelength. 512 for black and 1024 for browns. There is also a specific wavelength of light they use in the 700's for greens, but those are hard to come by.

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Great info, thanks bro... Do you remember what kind of laser they used?

Thanks again, makes me feel better about the chances of my tattoo's coming off completely, if I decide to do it
    Sorry Silver..I just now it was considered new at the time (94)..and that's mil.. The person doing the burning was a tech or a nurse and hotter than the laser she was tracing around my back. It sounds like Jdawg knows a lot more about the tech stuff. Good luck.

Thread Information