clockworks is offline Anabolic Member

How to supe up a Mustang?

Heh. I can't afford the car I want (Infiniti G35 Coupe). I really wanted a luxury sport coupe (or sedan), but they are all like $4-7k out of my price range. My friends suggested getting like an Altima fully loaded. F-ck that. If I did that, everytime I got in it, I would think, "what a sorry excuse for a luxury car". There is no middle ground for me, I don't see grey...only black and white. I've decided that if I can't get a luxury car, I'm going to go for broke and just get a muscle car.

I'm going to place an order for a 2006 Ford Mustang GT on Monday.

This is so weird and out of character for me. Currently, I have a riced out Honda Predule.

I have been out of the "car performance world" for so long. I'd like to hear suggestions about what kind of mods people get for American muscle cars (specifically a new Stang).

Some things to keep in mind:
    * I'm more interested in power than handling (at the moment).
    * I HATE loud noises. If I got a new catback system, I would get one that is quieter than stock (do they even exist?).
    * I don't want to do anything that will void the warranty.
    * I'm all about comfort. My Prelude is dropped like 1.5 inches and it sucks.
    * I ain't rich

Basically, what can I get the HP to without voiding the warranty, without being loud as f-ck, and without sacrificing (what little) comfort there already is. And how much is that going to cost me?

Thanks for the advice and info.

956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries
    i think you should reconsider the altima...jmo

Unoid is offline Member
    you're not going to get many mods that WON"T void your warrenty and still gain HP.

An air filter is pretty much it, Most delaerships don't care about exhaust. (but you got pussy ears)

Your best bet is the buy an 03-04 Mustang COBRA. they come with a blown 4.6l 4V, at stock it'll run 12's with a good driver, so that should be plenty fast for you.

And if you decide to risk voiding that warrenty they are easy as shit to mod (1500) will get you to low 12's maybe 11

PS: I owned a 99 Ford Lightning with plenty of mods to run 12's. I have tons of friends with Cobras and know how fast adn easy to mod the new Stang GT is.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I think a russian Lada is ideal for you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    I think a russian Lada is ideal for you!
    beauties for sure!!!

physio_sport is offline Banned
    this is how you soup up your mustang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to supe up a Mustang?-soup.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Unoid
    you're not going to get many mods that WON"T void your warrenty and still gain HP.
    I was under the impression that the only mods that void the warranty are the ones that require some part of the engine rebuilt (i.e. any kind of forced induction).

An air filter is pretty much it, Most delaerships don't care about exhaust. (but you got pussy ears)
    Na. Its just when I hear someone drive by with overly obnoxious exhaust, I want to take a bat to their face and beat them until they are on the verge of death, begging for their life...then ask them if they still think the loud exhaust makes their c-ck big.

Your best bet is the buy an 03-04 Mustang COBRA. they come with a blown 4.6l 4V, at stock it'll run 12's with a good driver, so that should be plenty fast for you.
    Ehh, I think they are kinda ugly. I think the new Stangs look slick as sh-t. Wouldn't the Cobra be out of my price range anyways? $5k might not be a lot to some people, but to me, thats half a year of saving.

I have tons of friends with Cobras and know how fast and easy to mod the new Stang GT is.
    OK, assuming voiding the warranty is an option, what are some of the mods you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by 956Vette
    i think you should reconsider the altima...jmo
    What kind of car do you have now, Vette?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clockworks
    What kind of car do you have now, Vette?
    finally in my 'Vette, but thinking about a 350Z, G35, or CTS if my finances get right here shortly

finally in my 'Vette, but thinking about a 350Z, G35, or CTS if my finances get right here shortly
    Bah, really? Good for you, last I heard you were in a piecer.

You bastard (if you get the G35).

Blog Entries
    Bah, really? Good for you, last I heard you were in a piecer.

You bastard (if you get the G35).
    ill be happy to drive by your POSstang and point out my navigation, etc as i pass ya

ill be happy to drive by your POSstang and point out my navigation, etc as i pass ya
    When I get my real car, I'll be happy to race your imaginary car...

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    cold air intake, 50 series flowmaster(youve gotta have a nice rumble), ecu upgrade.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member

Na. Its just when I hear someone drive by with overly obnoxious exhaust, I want to take a bat to their face and beat them until they are on the verge of death, begging for their life...then ask them if they still think the loud exhaust makes their c-ck big.

If your talking muscle cars that are loud, theres a good chance its engine noise! Personally I like to let people know Im driving a v8! Check out www.borla.com.. with their exhaust system, the noise doesn't come alive until you step on it. Basically exhaust, intake are going to be items that will without a doubt NOT void your warrenty. Personally I would get some sub frame connectors etc to tighten up that unibody pos!

Nicky B is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    If your talking muscle cars that are loud, theres a good chance its engine noise! Personally I like to let people know Im driving a v8! Check out www.borla.com.. with their exhaust system, the noise doesn't come alive until you step on it. Basically exhaust, intake are going to be items that will without a doubt NOT void your warrenty. Personally I would get some sub frame connectors etc to tighten up that unibody pos!
    I would go with those exhaust systems, a K&N air filter, and a super chip. That could get your stang to 350hp.

TheNextBigThing is offline Associate Member
    I am pretty deep into modding cars (fords to be exact) and I will tell you this right now, the only thing you can really get away with is a catback. Depending on your dealership though, maybe an intake will make it as well (probably not). However there are laws in place to keep dealerships from screwing over customers, if they try to void your warranty, that says if you decide to fight it that they must prove that whatever modification you did caused the failure. I have no experience with the new GT however from what I have read you will get pretty considerable gains from minor modifications such as intake (although with a GT intake, they say that a chip reflash will be necessary). Do whatever you want with that information but just remember that ford is very tough with their warranty policies.

zx2onice is offline Junior Member
    Honestly, if you are just worried about speed for the price, go with the neon srt-4...its about 8 grand cheaper than the mustang gt, and as you can see from the numbers below, only .1 second slower in zero to 60 and quarter mile times...take that extra 8 grand and buy a turbocharger upgrade from Dodge, make it even hella faster, and still have factory warranty because its a mopar product..just my 2 cents.

Dodge SRT-4

Vehicle type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan
    Price as tested: $21,690 (base price: $20,995)
    Engine type: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve inline-4, iron block and aluminum head, port fuel injection
    Displacement: 148 cu in, 2429cc
    Power (SAE net): 230 bhp @ 5300 rpm
    Torque (SAE net): 250 lb-ft @ 2200 rpm

Transmission: 5-speed manual
    Wheelbase: 105.0 in
    Length/width/height: 174.4/67.4/56.0 in
    Curb weight: 2984 lb

Zero to 60 mph: 5.3 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: .13.4 sec
    Zero to 130 mph: .24.8 sec
    Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.7 sec
    Standing 1/4-mile: 13.9 sec @ 103 mph
    Top speed (drag limited): 153 mph
    Braking, 70-0 mph: 169 ft
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g
    EPA fuel economy, city driving: 22 mpg
    C/D-observed fuel economy: 17 mpg

FORD MUSTANG GT
    Vehicle type: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

Price as tested: $27,570

Price and option breakdown: base Ford Mustang GT (includes $625 freight), $24,995; Premium package (includes Shaker 500 audio system with 6-CD changer), $1335; interior aluminum trim, $450; side airbags, $370; chrome wheels, $195; MyColor gauge enhancement, $175; wheel locks, $50

Major standard accessories: power windows, driver seat, and locks; remote locking; A/C; cruise control; tilting steering wheel; rear defroster

Sound system: Shaker 500 AM-FM radio/CD changer, 6 speakers

ENGINE
    Type: V-8, aluminum block and heads
    Bore x stroke: 3.55 x 3.54 in, 90.2 x 90.0mm
    Displacement: 281 cu in, 4601cc
    Compression ratio: 9.8:1
    Fuel-delivery system: port injection
    Valve gear: chain-driven single overhead cams, 3 valves
    per cylinder, hydraulic lifters
    Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 5750 rpm
    Torque (SAE net): 320 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
    Redline: 6000 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
    Transmission: 5-speed manual
    Final-drive ratio: 3.55:1, limited slip
    Gear, Ratio, Mph/1000 rpm, Max test speed
    I, 3.34, 6.6, 40 mph (6000 rpm)
    II, 2.00, 11.0, 66 mph (6000 rpm)
    III, 1.32, 16.7, 100 mph (6000 rpm)
    IV, 1.00, 22.0, 132 mph (6000 rpm)
    V, 0.67, 32.8, 149 mph (4550 rpm)

DIMENSIONS
    Wheelbase: 107.1 in
    Track, front/rear: 62.3/62.5 in
    Length/width/height: 188/73.9/55.4 in
    Ground clearance: 5.7 in
    Curb weight: 3523 lb
    Weight distribution, F/R: 53.6/46.4%
    Curb weight per horsepower: 11.7 lb
    Fuel capacity: 16.0 gal

CHASSIS/BODY
    Type: unit construction
    Body material: welded steel and aluminum stampings

INTERIOR
    SAE volume, front seat: 53 cu ft
    rear seat: 30 cu ft
    luggage: 13 cu ft
    Front-seat adjustments: fore-and-aft, seatback angle; driver only: front height, rear height, lumbar support
    Restraint systems, front: manual 3-point belts, driver and passenger front and side airbags
    rear: manual 3-point belts

SUSPENSION
    Front: ind, strut located by a control arm, coil springs, anti-roll bar
    Rear: rigid axle located by 2 lower trailing links, 1 upper trailing link, and a Panhard rod;
    coil springs; anti-roll bar

STEERING
    Type: rack-and-pinion with hydraulic power assist
    Steering ratio: 15.7:1
    Turns lock-to-lock: 2.8
    Turning circle curb-to-curb: 38.0 ft

BRAKES
    Type: hydraulic with vacuum power assist and anti-lock control
    Front: 12.4 x 1.2-in vented disc
    Rear: 11.8 x 0.8-in vented disc

WHEELS AND TIRES
    Wheel size/type: 8.0 x 17 in/cast aluminum
    Tires: Pirelli P Zero Nero, P235/55R17 98W M+S
    Test inflation pressures, F/R: 32/32 psi
    Spare: high-pressure compact

C/D TEST RESULTS
    ACCELERATION Seconds
    Zero to 30 mph: 1.9
    40 mph: 2.9
    50 mph: 4.0
    60 mph: 5.2
    70 mph: 6.8
    80 mph: 8.7
    90 mph: 10.6
    100 mph: 13.2
    110 mph: 16.5
    120 mph: 20.1
    130 mph: 26.1
    Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.9
    Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph:10.2
    50-70 mph: 9.5
    Standing 1/4-mile: 13.8 sec @ 102 mph
    Top speed (governor limited): 149 mph

BRAKING
    70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 183 ft

HANDLING
    Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
    Understeer: minimal moderate excessive

FUEL ECONOMY
    EPA city driving: 17 mpg
    EPA highway driving: 25 mpg
    C/D-observed: 16 mpg

INTERIOR SOUND LEVEL
    Idle: 53 dBA
    Full-throttle acceleration: 82 dBA
    70-mph cruising: 73 dBA

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    Personally I would get some sub frame connectors etc to tighten up that unibody pos!
    Can you explain what that does? I'm just layman when it comes to cars (especially domestic).

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky B
    I would go with those exhaust systems, a K&N air filter, and a super chip. That could get your stang to 350hp.
    Dang, 50 hp ain't bad. Any ball park figures about how much that will cost?

TheNextBigThing, thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind

zx2onice yeah, I know there a lot of cheaper, smaller cars that you can mod pretty easily to be very fast, but honestly I like the way the new Mustangs look and the thought of owning a V8 gives me a boner (I've never had anything but 4 cylinder cars).

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I like the way the new eclipse looks, too bad Mitsubishi aint looking like its doing so hot financially.

Can you explain what that does? I'm just layman when it comes to cars (especially domestic).

Dang, 50 hp ain't bad. Any ball park figures about how much that will cost?

TheNextBigThing, thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind

zx2onice yeah, I know there a lot of cheaper, smaller cars that you can mod pretty easily to be very fast, but honestly I like the way the new Mustangs look and the thought of owning a V8 gives me a boner (I've never had anything but 4 cylinder cars).
    Tightens up the body etc, I know you said your not concerned about handling, but you should be.

The Borla exhaust system is prolly in the ball park of 800-900, its not a cheap system but its kick ass

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    hey clocks would you consider a CPO G35 coupe, like one with 20,000 miles on it or a demo. i have seen alot prob for the price you want and they are almost new plus have factory warranty. then you can get what you want. check out autotrader.com

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    I had a brand new 6 speed G with nav and brembo's fully loaded.... nice black one.

thats a really safe, quiet nice car, well, quiet enough compared to my modded vette... it has a distinctive sound the g does.

How much cash you got man? what about a used G, you should only buy used cars, rollin off the lot you losing SOOOO much right there, I had my G for a wee bit over a year I figure and sold it at a loss of about 10 grand + so...

I shoulda kept it now that I think about it, considering I can only drive my vette in the summer, let alone the rain, the fukker will go sideways in a hearbeat....

but it slays the bitches..they get in feel the rumble and they're "so, when do want me to start suckin?"

I'm like ....easy baby... lil later, your buyin me din din first!!

H BOMB and Dally,
    The Stang with all the options I want comes out to $29k off the lot (i.e with TT&L). The G35 with no options come up to $36k. That is a HUGE price difference for me. The best "deal" I saw for a used G35 was $30k (before TT&L) for one with 27k miles on it. Not even a deal really. Also, $3k price difference (i.e. after TT&L) is still a lot for me...

I looked on autotrader for a long time for G35 Coupes. Those d-mn cars hold their value way too well.

And Dally...you bastard! I want a car like that...=P

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    Heh. I can't afford the car I want (Infiniti G35 Coupe). I really wanted a luxury sport coupe (or sedan), but they are all like $4-7k out of my price range. My friends suggested getting like an Altima fully loaded. F-ck that. If I did that, everytime I got in it, I would think, "what a sorry excuse for a luxury car". There is no middle ground for me, I don't see grey...only black and white. I've decided that if I can't get a luxury car, I'm going to go for broke and just get a muscle car.

I'm going to place an order for a 2006 Ford Mustang GT on Monday.

This is so weird and out of character for me. Currently, I have a riced out Honda Predule.

I have been out of the "car performance world" for so long. I'd like to hear suggestions about what kind of mods people get for American muscle cars (specifically a new Stang).

Some things to keep in mind:
    * I'm more interested in power than handling (at the moment).
    * I HATE loud noises. If I got a new catback system, I would get one that is quieter than stock (do they even exist?).
    * I don't want to do anything that will void the warranty.
    * I'm all about comfort. My Prelude is dropped like 1.5 inches and it sucks.
    * I ain't rich

Basically, what can I get the HP to without voiding the warranty, without being loud as f-ck, and without sacrificing (what little) comfort there already is. And how much is that going to cost me?

Thanks for the advice and info.
    sell it, and buy a Chevy thats the best i can offer

H BOMB and Dally,
    The Stang with all the options I want comes out to $29k off the lot (i.e with TT&L). The G35 with no options come up to $36k. That is a HUGE price difference for me. The best "deal" I saw for a used G35 was $30k (before TT&L) for one with 27k miles on it. Not even a deal really. Also, $3k price difference (i.e. after TT&L) is still a lot for me...

I looked on autotrader for a long time for G35 Coupes. Those d-mn cars hold their value way too well.

And Dally...you bastard! I want a car like that...=P

its looses it charm just like any car does in time... you'll see, but, when it comes down to it, if I was to buy it over again, I wouldnt have got the nav and I may have opted for the auto, but in Canada if you get the auto you lose the underbody airfairing and brembos and rear spoiler... I think you can get the spoiler added but you have the rear light in the rear window which gives away that its an auto and its just ghey....

but the fukin brembos saved my life one night... like I said safest car I have EVER driven, even in the snow with the rear wheel you wouldn't think so, but the traction control was sick

anyways if you can hold out, I wait for the car you want cause in another bit of time the g's will drop cause the new ones have more horse and when they go up for sale the old ones are not gonna sell "as easy" and if you get the mustang and have it for a year the resale is gonna drop and so are the g's and into your price range and then your gonna yourself in the baggage

wait man, dont be a goof like me and loose 10 "g's"

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    hey clocks i just found about 10 G35 on autotrader for around 24-27k most of them 03 models, and that was just asking price. if your sharp you can get them down some. this was in my area maybe the price is diff by you.

i like the new mustang alot i really do but i wouldn't get one for me bc i don't think it will ever shake that 16yr old mullet playing def leppard mentality. to each his own though.

Now the new salleen mustang is off the hook but way over priced.

i like the G35 bc it is a sleeper. most wouldn't think it could hang with other cars but it is quite quick and some minor mods done and even faster.

yah the g is quick, but its gotta be up in the 4 to 4 1/2 range to really pop the torque outta it, off the line is a different story tho.

check out g35driver.com I used to be a member on that board when I had that vechx and theres pics of my hood with some ass prints on it and some hand marks from bangin this hott biatch on the hood.....(its carbon fiber so it was cool) ehhehe

Quote Originally Posted by H BOMB
    i like the new mustang alot i really do but i wouldn't get one for me bc i don't think it will ever shake that 16yr old mullet playing def leppard mentality. to each his own though.
    Yup, that is one of the things that I really dislike about getting a Stang.

About the used G prices, I am pretty adamant about getting an 04 or later with miles in the 20k range. I know, I know...thats probably asking a bit much, but its just something my parents instilled in me about buying a used car: buy used only to get that very initial price deprecation (i.e. the deprecation that happens when you drive off the lot).

Dally, yeah that is what drew me to the G. Not only is it beautiful, sophisticated, and comfortable...but its got very decent kick (a lot more than other cars in its class).

Ahh well, maybe when I'm 30 I can afford that luxury sports car that I want. Until then...well, I'm young enough to still get a muscle car and not look like a total tool... (just kidding, I really don't mean that)

"deprecation" d-mn, I really am a programming nerd. I meant "depreciation".

chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member
    My 05 mustang has run a best of 12.7 with bolt-ons. Wanna learn about my car? Checkout corral.net/forums I have the same screen name. The car is pretty damn fast. Next month a new throttle body comes out and new cams. I plan on being in the low 12's high 11's with slicks in the near fututre. I think I can get a 12.5 out of my car now with a little more time at the track.This car is SO easy to make fast. My shop currently has the fastest 05 mustang.....10.1 at 133mph they are suttonhp.com in matteson IL.

chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member
    I currently have the fastest 05 in Indiana from all the boards I have checked......

chuck89gt5.0, sweet man, I'll def. check out your site. 12.7 is over a full second off the quartermile times I've seen listed on the internet...thats f-ing awesome for just bolt ons.

I made the deposit and order tonight. It should be arriving late Aug or early Oct. I'm f-ing stoked, I've never owned a fast car...I'm so sick of my POS ricer.

palumbo is offline Member
    i like the pimped out chrysler 300 srt 8 but hell thats a bit more money

awsome dude! once you get a muscle car its hard to want anything else ever again!

Sigmund Froid is offline Associate Member
    You could be driving a nice mercedes benz that is maybe 2-3 years old, with the same body as a brand new one, for the same price as a new mustang. For someone on a budget, new cars are a waste.

Take this example: A mercedes-benz S class costs somewhere in the ballpark of $77,000. You can buy a 2000 with 40k miles for $35,000.

Mercedes-Benz ranks very low (poorly) on the "avg problems per 100 cars" list (according to JD Power an Associates)...exactly 16 places below Ford. I think you should only buy used to avoid that initial hit to depreciation when you drive off the lot. I would never buy a car with more than 20k miles on it.

When I was shopping, I noticed a TON of BMW's that had low miles on them, yet they were selling for 10-15k less than new. It makes you wonder...know what I'm sayin? The G35 and basically any Lexus holds their value incredibly well. Can't say that for AT ALL for Mercedes or BMW. That says a lot about the brand, IMO.

When it comes to domestic, they are so cheap, it doesn't matter. I'll gladly pay 25k for my Mustang, drive it for 5-6 years, then get a new car...probably keep the Stang and throw a blower in there or something...

Btw, the 2005 Mustang has gotten incredible reviews not only by professionals, but user reviews on the internet.

Oh, and any Mercedes (or BMW) that I can afford is slow. Major deal breaker for me. I don't know much about Mercedes, but 35k for a 3 series Beamer thats slower than my f-ing Honda Prelude? You have got to be kidding me... I'm so glad Infiniti is b-tch slapping them and ste****g their market.

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Froid
    You could be driving a nice mercedes benz that is maybe 2-3 years old, with the same body as a brand new one, for the same price as a new mustang. For someone on a budget, new cars are a waste.

Take this example: A mercedes-benz S class costs somewhere in the ballpark of $77,000. You can buy a 2000 with 40k miles for $35,000.
    mercedes has a lot of issues, last 3 years I had a lot of bad words about mercedes and bmw. A lot of people swithed there cars to lexus, acura, infinity.

nickm748 is offline Associate Member
    get the new mustang, its ok to have a loud muffler if you got the hp's to back it up

Thread Information