candyman md is offline Junior Member

softball last night

What a night it was only 105 on the field in MD with all the Da** humidty! Anyway we have been trying to get in make-ups with all the rain we have had, so the season is already running way to long for me. We have to play one of the better teams in our league, which always fight/argue with each other and try to with the other teams and umpire. Our umpire last night has been around all year he is well into his 60's and is about 95% deaf. That is right he can't hear much and his speech is very hard to understand. Anyway he is out there with us probably only making 25$ a game, but I guess he loves it. First game one of the guys on the other team pulls one clearly foul down the left field side, how do I know this, I play catcher, great view. Their runner on first and about 4 other guys come running off of the bench yelling like they are going to kill this guy. I say what a joke, it is to hot for this and I just play to have fun. The umpire throws one guy out. The game goes on. We end up winning by 6. Second game they beat us by 1, no big deal. The whole second game they are making fun of the ump, calling him bad bad names and trying to mimic his speech. I told them one time don't act stupid and I will only warn all you once! After the game we all shake hands, let the cold beer drinking begin. The ump signs our book and then goes over to sign theirs. Now, my whole team knew I was fed up with the BS, however, this is my 1st year with these guys so, I didn't expect much back-up or even know if I would want it. I was fine until, 5 of their team were following the old ump to the parking lot, just trying to scare him and yelling at him the whole time. I put my stuff down, walked over towards them, and they say "what do you want dick****". So with that, I punched the big fat pitcher in the nose, as he fell, I punched another guy in the throat! As the fat guy goes to get up he catches only part of a knee to the face because his fat head was so sweaty I couldn't get a good grip. The other guy is freaking because he can't breath. Whatever! I know I was probably wrong for my handling of this and guys are going to say so, I will deal with it. I was not brought up to make fun of and humilate anybody and I will never stand by and let it happen. These punks were insulting somebody's grandfather, father and husband. What a joke! The other guys on their team did nothing or even say anything to me. My team came over when punches were thrown, but were is complete amazement. I ask why is it that some people are just wired to make fun of others? I know there is going to be some kind of fallout from this and I will have to deal with it. I was already assured by some of their team, that when I warned them, the guys who knew me told the others, he will fight and doesn't care if wins or not. I believe they got the idea know. I am just, still so pissed at the way these younger guys acted! Sorry for the long post. I am sure some kind of charges or lawsuit will come next!

Cmore is offline Associate Member
    How young were the "younger guys" you're talking about?

candyman md is offline Junior Member
    21 to 25 as far as I know. Their oldest is only 31. I am 36!

Cmore is offline Associate Member
    As long as they were over 21, screw it. You warned them already, they were being buttholes to the guy, and you defended him. Yeah, sure, you could have ignored it and thought it was not your problem, but then what happens if the umpire tries to defend himself and gets busted up, or if those guys start doing more than just teasing him? This way they should have learned their lesson, or if nothing else, will know better than messing with you or the umpire again.

Thread Information