livewire57 is offline Associate Member

World record for bench press

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...6/ai_n13607159

A man named Gene Rychlak has the world record for strongest bench press, 1005 lbs. I wonder what this guy must look like?

(PS, the bench press part is in the lower middle of the article)

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    The world record stands at 715 lbs. That record you speak of was done by wearing a bench shirt and in my eyes doesn't count for shit.

livewire57 is offline Associate Member
    Bullshit bro, 1005lbs is still 1005lbs

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    The world record stands at 715 lbs. That record you speak of was done by wearing a bench shirt and in my eyes doesn't count for shit.
    i wouldn't it doesn't count for shit, but i think that shirt benching should be kept to sideshow bench press shows, and raw benching should be much more prestigious.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire57
    Bullshit bro, 1005lbs is still 1005lbs
    If the world record for raw is 715 and the record for bench shirts is 1005 you only have to look at the difference to see the only bullshit is the bench shirt. Talking about 300lbs difference due to a shirt that stretches and helps you lift the weight. I'm sure I can get well over 2000 lbs on the bench if they let me bring a forklift.

JSn, I agree with you on that. Raw= pride and prestige.

Fr3ak is offline New Member
    On Saturday, at a meet in Dubuque, Iowa, the 320-pound Mendelson tried to reclaim the record and become an instant powerlifting legend by becoming the first man to crack the mythical 1,000-pound barrier. "I feel I have a 1,100 pound bench in me," Mendelson promised a few days before the meet. "I think I can go between 1,030 and 1,050 in Iowa." Then he added, "1,005 is really light for me right now." As he lowered more than 1,000 pounds to his chest, Mendelson was sure the half-ton of metal was going right back up—his hypertrophied muscles and a magical denim shirt would make sure of that.

here the artical http://slate.msn.com/id/2104915

Very interesting article.. I pastedsome of it that I found most interesting below.

For years, the bench press world record crept up slowly and steadily. In the 1950s, Canadian Doug Hepburn became the first man to bench 400, 450, and 500 pounds. In 1957, Hepburn told Muscle Power magazine that a 600-pound bench press was possible, but it wasn't until 1967 that Pat Casey cracked that barrier. Ted Arcidi broke 700 in 1985, and it took another 17 years until Ryan Kennelly benched 800 pounds in 2002. Now, just two years later, 10 men have benched 800, and a couple are closing in on 1,000. So, why have records that stood up to the strongest men in the world for 50 years crumbled in the last two?

A super-shirt, mostly. In 1983, a college student and powerlifter named John Inzer started making shirts that supported benchers' shoulders and deltoids. Word spread that the bench shirt not only prevented injuries but actually helped bounce the weight off your chest. The terminology on Inzer's Web site reeks of pseudoscience—the top-of-the-line Inzer Phenom shirt "features the EVS (Escape Velocity System) built inside"—but the shirt's effect is undeniable. As the record for the shirted bench press shot up to 965 pounds, the unshirted or "raw" mark has stayed at an earthly 713 pounds

1819 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benches505
    i agree. why dont they make those guys do a raw lift and then a shirt lift and then compare.

SplinterCell is offline Senior Member
    Hah, did you guys see the video? Looked like he was wearing a frickin mechanized robot suit...

where can you see the video

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    these shirts that add 200lbs to your bench make me sick... single ply should be the only one that should be legal.

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    raw competition would be best though ....even though i dont see that happening again

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatman51
    these shirts that add 200lbs to your bench make me sick... single ply should be the only one that should be legal.
    I agree with you totally. I understand that the shirt helps reduce the risk of injury, which is a huge risk when lifting extremely heavy weight, but if the shirt adds 200lbs. to your bench it's just frickin' ridiculous...

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    The real hardcore benchers don't even wear a shirt.....We used to have a high school football lifting comp for the state of CT. Our weightlifting coach was a powerlifter who brought in bench shirts for us all, and I can tell you right now they add artificial strength, as this is obvious for everyone the question remains (at least to me). WHy on earth are they allowed to use these shirts and pants full well knowing they add numbers to the lift??? It just doesn't make much sense to me! But I guess I may be old school????

Monkeytown is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baseball_centerfield
    where can you see the video
    Used to be here, I think they ditched the bench video but world record squat and deadlift are still there.

chest6 is offline Banned
    the video is pretty good...the eccentric he gets is pretty amazing anyway.

ajonhb1 is offline New Member
    more respect for the raw bencher

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    I thought the new bench press record was by Kenneth Sandvik at 750lbs. Check it out.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3512896/2...ndvik.wmv.html

-Bino

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    he looks like this...
    http://www.benchpresschampion.com/CH...2/Rychlak2.jpg

A man named Gene Rychlak has the world record for strongest bench press, 1005 lbs. I wonder what this guy must look like?

Impitious is offline Junior Member
    Watch what happens when he tries to break his record for 1015.

http://media.putfile.com/BenchPress25

ThePump is offline Member
    those shirts shouldn't be legal. i don't understand why you can wear those but not take aas... doesn't make too much sense to me. in the end they are both used for the same thing.

Mealticket is offline Senior Member
    what are the stipulations for a shirt?> I could develope one w/ carbon fiber inserts that bent back to normal arm length that would give you 4-5 hundred lbs of power. I don't power lift but when the shirts doing the work how is that impressive?

He's really fat and looks disguisting. And he tried to break his record by ten lbs. at the Mr. Olympia this year (2005.) He failed and the bar crushed his right rib cage.

As for the raw bench press record. Scott Mendelson @ 735lbs. raw. No belt, no gloves, no bench shirt. Just hardcore power.

As for allowing bench shirts. I'm totally against it unless they allow aas.

Impitious is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector_injector
    He's really fat and looks disguisting. And he tried to break his record by ten lbs. at the Mr. Olympia this year (2005.) He failed and the bar crushed his right rib cage.

As for the raw bench press record. Scott Mendelson @ 735lbs. raw. No belt, no gloves, no bench shirt. Just hardcore power.

As for allowing bench shirts. I'm totally against it unless they allow aas.
    I lol'd pretty hard at everyone getting all hyped up and him dropping it on himself. If you listen closely, you can hear his ego breaking along with his ribs.

You're completely right about him looking fat and disgusting. I have a feeling that if he fell over, it would take a few guys to help him back up.

--^^ Some funny stuff.. I mean, I know those dudes are fat but that's just ridicolous. I was sad at first, but then I laughed like two seconds later after seeing that. I like power, but who cares if you can bench 1k lbs. if you're fat as all hell. I'd rather max 400lbs. and look damn good to get all the putang I want.

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1819
    i agree. why dont they make those guys do a raw lift and then a shirt lift and then compare.
    because in powerlifting you lift according to the rules of your federation. Here in the UK most of the federations have unequipped (virtually raw) meets, i suppose its the same in the states.

its pretty simple dont compare any lifts by people performed under two different federations. no one is cheating here with bench shirts as every one is given the same opportunities within that federation. as an analogy think of it like this, in olympic federation one all polevaulters have a five foot pole. in olympic federation two all polevaulters have a 9 foot pole. no one should be stupid enough to compare two vaulters from the different feds....

the truth is that all the sponsorship money goes to competitors that lift equipped and all the top powerlifters lift equipped - so if you're the next hot thing in powerlifting you are also going to compete equipped.

most of the top benchers will also tell you how dangerous it is for them to max out without a shirt, pec tears etc...

(yes i am a powerlifter and yes i do lift unequipped)
    Last edited by weightshead; 11-07-2005 at 09:03 AM.

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    I could bench press yo momma wearing her skirt.
    Last edited by Lavinco; 11-07-2005 at 12:40 PM. Reason: misspell

Wrathchild is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=weightshead]because in powerlifting you lift according to the rules of your federation. Here in the UK most of the federations have unequipped (virtually raw) meets, i suppose its the same in the states.QUOTE]
    Well there are different rules, different federations, I myself prefer raw lifting, but, if some type of regulation shirt is used as well as lifting suits or wraps, in my opinion, all competitors have the same opportunity and there is not advantage for any particular lifter, since they all have the chance to use the same equipment. That would be like blaming a lifter for having an advantage because his cycle was better planned, or his AAS were better quality that the rest. As long as they follow and execute according to the regulations I think its fair game. And about this lifter physique, I wouldnt make fun of him because he is fat, I have the upmost respect for anyone that practices this sport, or any sport, its their choice to be huge, or to be lean, or whatever the way they wanna look, I wouldnt make fun of lance Armstrong because his arms dont look strong at all, or because his chest is smaller than mine.

TAPPER is offline Junior Member
    "The bench shirt—which comes in denim or polyester—has arms that jut out zombielike, perpendicular to the chest. The position is so awkward and the fit so tight that lifters typically need help swaddling themselves. As the bar starts to press the weightlifter's arms down, a percentage of the load goes to deforming the shirt. High-end shirts are so taut that for the bar to even reach a bencher's chest, the fabric has to be compressed with incredible force. (At one meet, Rychlak had to abandon an 890-pound lift because it wasn't heavy enough to force the weight down to his pecs.) When the bencher starts to push the bar back up, the shirt acts like a spring. As the material snaps back to its original, zombie-arm orientation, the lifter's elbows get a bit of extra help moving the weight back into the air."

http://www.slate.com/id/2104915

SVTMuscle* is offline Banned
    wow I never realized how a benching shirt makes you lift more, i thought it was just a protector incase if fell on your chest.
    so it actually works as a spring that torques up the weigth when you bring it down... ghey..

Thread Information