cnyce89 is offline Banned

how many think You should ask the father?

Who thinks its neccisary/polite to ask the father for permission to marry his daughtrer?

BigD is offline Associate Member
    I thought it was just one of those things everybody did. I would definitely ask, if anything just to be polite. If you are that close with her then you shouldn't have a problem asking the father that.

Is there any hard feeling between the two of you?

No theres no hard feeling between the two of us. I just dont see him that much, He works alot so hes in bed at like 9 at night to get up at like 5....So honestly we have never had like a deep conversation. I know its polite and i want to ask, itll just be dif.
    I know he wouldnt disaprove hes not like that, and he likes me.
    Its just im nervous thats all..i wouldnt know where to begin when doing it...do i go out for lunch? do i stop by his house? what? lol

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    Call him, and ask him to grab a bite, and that you would like to speak with him about something important. Also, make sure to mention not to say anything to her. You are a lucky man, already finding her bro, congrats, and I hope all goes well...

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Ask both of her parents if you can. It'll come off as a sweet gesture - if they say yes. I take it you're friendly with them and that you'll get the thumbs up. It'll seem more romantic to your GF if she knows that you planned the proposal and that her parents approve.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    i will ask the daughter, thats it. the father has nothing to do with it.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I asked my ex,s father before I asked her.Its just a mark of respect thats all.

I would want my daughters boyfriend to ask me before asking my daughter just so that if I did'nt like him I could kick his ass and stick him on a boat with a one way ticket to the North pole in just his boxers LOL

I would ask if I were you imho

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    I say ask the daughter 1st, then tell the father, not ask, just as a sign of respect.

Originally posted by Billy Boy
    I asked my ex,s father before I asked her.Its just a mark of respect thats all.

I would want my daughters boyfriend to ask me before asking my daughter just so that if I did'nt like him I could kick his ass and stick him on a boat with a one way ticket to the North pole in just his boxers LOL

I would ask if I were you imho
    Thanks billy...very reasuring...lol...

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    If you like the father and he likes you then you should ask him. If the guy has no clue that you guys are wanting to settle down then fuck it, he'll just ruin it all.

I'm getting to the point where I will have to make a dinner appointment as well. Good luck.

Did you figure out what to do about the ring thing?

superbeast is offline Member
    Definately ask. It's just the respectable thing to do.

testprop is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by bigkev
    i will ask the daughter, thats it. the father has nothing to do with it.
    damn right! I think its a thing between me and the girl, and nobody could get btw me and my girl!

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    sorry cnyc, but i think you gotta ask the girl's father. It is a very respectable thing to do.. The parents would love it. And ask boh of them not just the father.. Go over with a bottle of wine one day.. sit them down and ask them. ( you could takem both out to eat too) andyes make sure to tell them not to tell her.. SOmeone i guess don't like that.. But dude you gotta remeber that Those are her parents... Her family... you gotta show that respect first and formost.... peace and good luck

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Originally posted by Canes4Ever
    I say ask the daughter 1st, then tell the father, not ask, just as a sign of respect.
    I agree with Canes. this is what I did. her parents had been ragging on us for a while because we lived together for a while before we actually were engaged. we were busy with work and school and wanted to make sure we COULD live with one another. her parents tried to come between us the whole time. after i asked her, we went to her parent's house couple of days later and i sat down with them in the living room and reminded them how much i loved her and that i had proposed and she had said yes. they were glad that i did that i know. they still have never 100% approved of me, but they do at least respect me. i wasn't necessarily looking for their approval, but i am kind of small town county bumkin and it seemed like the right thing to do. even though they hadn't been handling things respectably between us, i still was respectable to them. just my 2 cents worth.

peace,

ttgb

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    ask the father, you will earn more brownie points than you could ever imagine. I only saw my girl's father once every 3 months or so....he was in another state. But I found a way to meet with him and ask permission. It was the best thing I could have done to have his blessing.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    It is just respectful. If you've already met the father, and your in good terms with him. When the time comes you want to ask HER to marry you, then it's a nice gesture to ask the father for permission. Especially if the family is old fashioned, he will respect you more and think you are more mature!

However, if your not in good terms with her parents, and they aren't nice people and treat you bad, they can go ____ themselves!!!

justme is offline Associate Member
    I didn't ask for permision but knowing her parents and how well we all get along now. I wish I had. but on that same note I know her family and they have a very hard time keeping something a secret so it would have probaly come out before I asked her and I didn't want that.

bigkev is offline Scamming Traitor
    wait a minute! you are getting married pt!?

Originally posted by PTbyJason
    ask the father, you will earn more brownie points than you could ever imagine. I only saw my girl's father once every 3 months or so....he was in another state. But I found a way to meet with him and ask permission. It was the best thing I could have done to have his blessing.

Wow thanks guys...
    Im def gonna ask the father. Since she did say i should ask him.
    (thats why i brought up this thread)
    They are a catholic family, and are fairly old fashioned like someone said. I think it will show them a little more that im serious about her and i.
    And i know it really has nothing to do with the father, its between her and i, but i think itll be more of a telling/asking type thing.

our future is what it is.'our' future, and no one can stand inbetween what the 2 of us want.

PTbyJason is offline Retired Admin
    Originally posted by bigkev
    wait a minute! you are getting married pt!?

LOL, well actually I was engaged almost 3 years ago. We broke it off just over 2 years ago. Long distance relationship didn't work for me. We are still friends, so that's cool, but to answer your question.......no, I am not getting married.

Re: well if she wants you to .

Originally posted by 47john
    id do it , many women plan this stuff from the time they are young so you may as well make everything perfect . and she said you should , i doubt she would tell you that if a problem is likely . i would only do it if i knew she really wanted me to , but if it makes her happy ...
    And yo uknow im all about making her Happy John

Thread Information