Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him

I hate that it has almost come to this, but this puppy I got about 8 weeks ago is terrible. He is 2/3 Siberian Husky, 1/3 wolf. I just cannot seem to get him housebroken for one, and second off he bites, ALOT. I dont know if he thinks he's playing or what, but you cant even pet him or touch him without him reaching his head around and biting. I spank him when he goes to the bathroom in the house and it doesnt phase him, he thinks I'm playing or something. I put hot sauce on my fingers to get him to stop biting, and he likes hot sauce! I tried putting pennies in a glass jar and shaking the hell out of it when he's doing something bad, doesnt work, he ignores it. I have a 5 year old stepdaughter who cant play with him because he constantly bites. He reached up and bit me in the lip the other day and busted my lip open. He is the worst dog I've ever seen or had. But I know he loves us, because when I go away for a few days and come home he's wagging his tail and jumping on me, so happy to see me. I just think he plays rough or something. I'm thinking about obedience school for him, but I dont know if it would work or not. He's just the prettiest dog, and I'd hate to get rid of him but it has about come down to it. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-demon-man-002.jpg  

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    You (or someone else) can break him of his bad habits.

A dog like that seeks attention, so ignore it when it is being bad. Don't make eye contact, don't speak to it, and don't give it a treat until it calms down.

That is the way a friend of mine tamed his similar wild beast.

I know an obendience school would work as well.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    As he's a puppy all he wants to do is play. Obedience school worked for my dog in the end. Took some time though. I think you've got to be more patient. He will learn and will respect you in the end.

With the going to the toilet in the house, I used to rub my dogs nose in it and then smack him. Soon learned.

With the bitting I found shouting and over powering the dog worked. Smack him and tell him at the top of your voice he's bad. You could even lock him somewhere for a few mins. You got to be strict. Then he'll understand eventually.

puppies are an assload of work man... almost like having a newborn kid. just like daem said above... you can break his bad habits, he is still young.

Quote Originally Posted by Swifto
    As he's a puppy all he wants to do is play. Obedience school worked for my dog in the end. Took some time though. I think you've got to be more patient. He will learn and will respect you in the end.

With the going to the toilet in the house, I used to rub my dogs nose in it and then smack him. Soon learned.

With the bitting I found shouting and over powering the dog worked. Smack him and tell him at the top of your voice he's bad. You could even lock him somewhere for a few mins. You got to be strict. Then he'll understand eventually.

Part of the problem is when he's bad I'll put him in his kennel, but then he starts crying and screaming, and we live in an apartment, I'm afraid if I keep him in there he'll get us kicked out. Probably a stupid move to get a wolf hybrid in an apartment, but I thought it would have been ok for a few months until we got a house with a yard. I'm calling the pet center right now to see when obedience school is offered.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah i would get a trainer, i had one come to my house once a week and it worked real well. i have a rotty and he knows all the rules of the house now.

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    my girlfriend used a spray bottle for our dog. i was going to get rid of it, but when it did something bad we would spray it in the face. that works really well. he loves to swim but he doesn't like being sprayed with water.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    My dog was like that b4. Obedience school is not only a good way for your dog to learn some thing. But since there are many other dogs and owners there it is also a good way for your dog to leanr tolerance around other dogs and people. Introducing it to others builds this and after that my dog began to love people more and more and now just licks them to death.

-Bino

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bino
    My dog was like that b4. Obedience school is not only a good way for your dog to learn some thing. But since there are many other dogs and owners there it is also a good way for your dog to leanr tolerance around other dogs and people. Introducing it to others builds this and after that my dog began to love people more and more and now just licks them to death.

-Bino

Thanks for your suggestion, and to all of everybody else. I just called and left a message on the guys voicemail about obedience school. I figure it cant hurt.

Dave321 is offline AR's Salad Tossing Connoisseur
    you'd be surprised at teh personality change if you give it some more time.... puppies are a pain in the ass, but believe you me, that dog will mature soon and become housebound.... just have some patients, I know its hard.

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Ne time man. Glad I can help...

-Bino

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    My pup peed in the house like 3 times a day, even after she was 1 year old. Then I found out that she had a bladder infection...=P

well mine shits and pisses in my house like 8 times a day, and he's fine!!!

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    Stayinstacked,

I have a couple huskies. It's not your dog, it's the breed. You have a lot to learn about them. Give me a sec and I will post up a few basics for you.

JC

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    Bro, hitting your dog if it pisses inside won't work. You should look up information on house breaking dogs online. Second, your puppy is teething, he bites because it is the only thing that helps with his pain. That is how puppy's are, if you don't like it get rid of him, don't hit it for biting/pissing that is cruel and not necessary.

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    1. They are very stubborn (as you know), but don't confuse that with stupid. This makes them very hard to train. You need to be extremely consistent with your training and realistic in your goals. Things like sit, shake, no biting, and shitting outside will be your hopeful commands. Any trainer who takes your dog and says they can straighten him out is probably a scammer. Most all reputable trainers won't even take huskies. They definitely need to be worked with by the owner. I find that reward based training works best. No sense in hitting the dog, you'll never hurt it. I use a light slap, but the dogs hate my voice worse than anything. Shame them with your voice.

2. You will have a lot better dog if you exercise the shit out of it. I take mine for a couple mile walk a day at LEAST. And yes, he will pull until he dies (at least on the way to wherever it is you take them, mine are fine on the way back). Try getting a collar that will turn the dogs head when it pulls....pinch, shock, and choke collars are joke for this breed. But not seeing will help. Best bet is to deal with the pulling and get a chest harness so the dog doesn't hurt its own throat.

3. Housebreaking is up to you. You have to keep the dog on a regular eating schedule. Feed him and then wait and see how long it takes the dog to shit. Exercise speeds this up usually. I wait a little over an hour after my dog eats and take him for a walk....never fails. Pissing is another animal. Nothing you can do about that except for constant trips outside. Puppies just can't hold it like older dogs and shouldn't be expected too.

4. As far as kids go, I would always keep somwhat of an eye on the dog. They do play rough and want to establish a line of dominance. They are pack dogs. Mine plays with me, but doesn't mess with any kids. It knows who it will hurt I think.

My dogs are 3 years old now and are coming along fairly well. It's super hard to raise them and when they were puppies, they drove me to the point of murder. Just remember a dog is only as good as it's owner.

No flame, but you obviously didn't do any research into what type of dog you were getting. Now that you have it, I hope you take the time to take care of the dog. Siberian huskies are the single most beautiful dogs there are, but they are also the number one dog left to shelters and rescues.

Let me know if there is anything else you wanna know. Shoot me a PM and I will answer it. I don't ever post here anymore, but I do check my PM's daily (Mon - Fri).

Good luck....JC

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Tie a cinder block around it, throw it in a pond or bay, get a diff dog.

wow, he's actually doing a little better tonight. I bought a harness for him instead of his collar, and got a little longer leash for him. I tried being super nice to him and it seems like he has calmed down some. I think he was doing alot of stuff for attention. I havent swatted at him, instead I just say in a low firm voice NO!!!! It actually works. Everything most people do with their dogs (smacking them when they go inside) locking them in a kennel for punishment, etc) has not worked with him. Seems like this method of positive reinforcement is working aright. Tomm morning first thing I'm taking him for a long walk down by the river. Let the doggie boot camp begin!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-demon-man-007.jpg  

GoreGasm is offline New Member
    Dear god that is a cute dog.

I had the same prob with my puppy too,

He was too tall to spray with water, he would just bite at the water I sprayed at him with the bottle and he LOVES hot sauce.

I took him to a trainer twice and learnt the basics and he is a GREAT cute dog now.

Good luck with him, and update us please.

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    that dog has crazy eyes..

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Puppies require all of your attention, and scolding them for going to the bathroom in the house is never going to help. You need to probably devote a weekend to just watching him, you can usually guess when he's about to take a leak.

Well, I just saw Jc3's post, so im just gonna post this anyways lol

Let's first work on the house training. You've had him for 8 weeks and I hope you've atleast taught him to sit. When you first wake up in the morning, carry him to the door, require him to sit, treat him, and go outside to where you want him to potty. When/if he goes potty, encourage him, "good boy, good potty", try to tell him to go potty when you are doing this, my dog will goto the bathroom on command basically.

He currently has control of his bladder, so that's not an issue. But never-the-less take him to the door every hour and do what I said before. These are usually tips for puppies under 2 months, because they don't know really when they are about to pee, so you usually take them straight to the door after naps, when you first wake up, after food, after play etc.

The biting issue, my dog doesn't neccessarily bite, but my roomate would always play with my dog by flipping his fingers around, and I dont have the energy to remedy it. You can try clamping his mouth shut when he bites, dont slap him or anything, they usually start yelping when you hold their mouth shut, I wouldn't be suprised if that helped, when hes being abnoxious, ignore him and put him in his cage, that goes the same when he goes potty in the house. But, if you catch him in the act just pick him up and take him straight outside to the yard, let him do his business then put him in his cage.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Man that is a really nice puppy w/ some cool ass eyes.

not2bigyet is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Part of the problem is when he's bad I'll put him in his kennel, but then he starts crying and screaming, and we live in an apartment, I'm afraid if I keep him in there he'll get us kicked out. Probably a stupid move to get a wolf hybrid in an apartment, but I thought it would have been ok for a few months until we got a house with a yard. I'm calling the pet center right now to see when obedience school is offered.
    You should stop putting him in the kennel as a punishment...the kennel should be more of a protective sancuary for the dog. You don't want the dog to think he is being punished everytime you leave the house and lock him up...

Thegr8One is offline Senior Member
    sell it to the Koreans they'll eat it if not send it my way I'll eat it

fathertime2 is offline New Member

shock collar.

go to the pet store and buy a 7stage shock collar about 200.dollars and that will straighten his ass right up.

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    When he's bad tell him in a stern voice and ignore him. Praise when he's good. Never spank or hit him. Huskies are tough work man. I have one and she was hard to train, but now she's almost 1.5yrs old and she's perfect

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not2bigyet
    You should stop putting him in the kennel as a punishment...the kennel should be more of a protective sancuary for the dog. You don't want the dog to think he is being punished everytime you leave the house and lock him up...

That is 100% correct.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    I had a wolf mix before, they are harder than dogs IMO. WHat you will notice, is you will see the alpha-male sympoms allot more prominent in them.

For me, I had to roll the puppy on the back and press its snout down like towards its chest. I have read from numerous places this is how wolfs are shown rank in the wild of a pack.

Potty training, I had better luck with using a crate. Keep him in it, and when you let him out, go straight outside till he uses the bathroom and praise him alot for it. Rubbing the dog nose doesnt always work well, some think they are in trouble for pissing period, some have no clue. A dogs mind works much different than a humans. I believe you only have about 3 seconds for negative reinforcement to be affective, otherwise they are clueless.

I woudl try the crate and the gently domination with the snout. The biting, I usually gave a small smack on the nose immediately. ITs normal for puppies to bite alot though, it is out of play.

Heracles74 is offline Senior Member
    part wolf?? yikes... That would make me kinda nervous, especially around little kids

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    sheez, you have the hardest headed doggy out there. Husky are the hardest + added with wold they are a pain in the ass. I had a cross between husky/wolf when I was between 4-14, her name was dino, believe me she will protect you like anyother! If you have kids she will be very protective around them, trust me someone will try to harm them she will simply attack.

establish the dominance and youll have the best doggy in the world, now i have a half husky/german sheppard and it worst, damn character, her german added with russian make her hell of a fuucking hard headed dog, but I wouldnt trade her for anything.

You know to teach them right away, im the boss, and here the line, if not they will cross it and believe they are the boss. ie: my dog now with everyone except me!

You dont give her what she wants, she bites your ass
    now she's ignoring me since two days because I decided she was on a diet, and I wouldnt give her any candies and all bones and crap my mom is alway giving her!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-picture_067.jpg  

jc3
    jc3 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    wow, he's actually doing a little better tonight. I bought a harness for him instead of his collar, and got a little longer leash for him. I tried being super nice to him and it seems like he has calmed down some. I think he was doing alot of stuff for attention. I havent swatted at him, instead I just say in a low firm voice NO!!!! It actually works. Everything most people do with their dogs (smacking them when they go inside) locking them in a kennel for punishment, etc) has not worked with him. Seems like this method of positive reinforcement is working aright. Tomm morning first thing I'm taking him for a long walk down by the river. Let the doggie boot camp begin!!!

Good luck bro...Hope all turns out well.

JC

Deezuhl is offline Anabolic Member
    If you have kid and it bites this much as puppy get rid. when it bites your daughter real good shoot it.. I have 2 boxers one 4 and one 8 and has never ever even put a limb of mine is their mouths.. if either of them bit my kid they would be gone and I love them both to death.

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    *Sigh*

OK, I'm not even sure where to begin with this. First off, this is the most important time for your dog as it is now that it will be easiest for you to train "bad behaviours" out and socialize the dog so that as it gets older, it is good with people, other dogs and knows your the boss. These are critical times so the best piece of advice I can give is just like with AAS, YOU NEED TO RESEARCH THIS BREED!

No offense, but it doesnt sound like you have much experience with training dogs, let alone this breed of dog. For example, smacking a dog when it goes to the bathroom in the house will not teach him anything. Unless you catch him in the act, dogs dont understand why they are being punished and you havnt shown him what the RIGHT thing to do is iether. Please be a responsible owner and get this dog signed up in obedience school RIGHT AWAY. Obedience school will not only benefit the dog, but you the owner will learn how to PROPERLY train your dog so that you can raise a well behaved, obedient dog that will love you forever. 9 out of 10 times, bad behaviour is due to poor ownership and training, I cant emphasize enough how important it is for the owner to be trained as well.

BTW, I share ownership of a Pitbull, a perfect example where bad training or lack of training can go very wrong. Huskies are similar and if you dont get this under control now you will be up for a lifetime of problems with this dog. The only answer imo is Obedience Classes ASAP.

SexyKitty is offline Female Vet
    And if you need any referrals to good websites where you can get solid, accurate info, please PM me.

I wish you the best of luck with this, I hope this turns out well for you and your pup.

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    uive got a 4 month old chocolate lab... she outruns me every day, and still wants to play when i pull myself up the stairs to the bathroom to puke...

Give her time, she'll calm down, just be firm with her..

decadbal is offline Banned
    put him in a garbage bag and throw him off a bridge

WildCh1ld is offline Banned
    Damn Bro I'm beginning to worry about you and dogs....

jk

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member
    Don't ever let the dog put it's mouth on you or anyone else. Teething or not they should never be allowed to do that, it's a control thing, like he's trying to be the alpha dog and control you. It may not hurt you but it would hurt a child. As for house breaking, don't rub their nose in it. Walk over with him, let him know you are disapointed in him by using a stern voice and if you are going to spank him, use a news paper, not your hand.
    I spend $1600 to have my son's dog trained. She is vicious, and very dangerous with other people. When she gets mad at me she shits and pisses all over my bedroom. I lock her in her cage and she has chewed through one and now I have a metal one and she has broken the lock on it twice. Try your best to get her use to the cage. Don't always use if for punishment. Put things in it that she can chew & play with because you will need to have her go to her place (that's what I call the cage) as she gets older. It will keep your home and her safe.
    Now I have to use an electric collar on her. She truly is the worse dog I ever had , and she makes my life miserable. Eats the molding on the doors to try to get in the bedrooms and well I could go on and on. I use to breed dogs and show them, I've trained lots of dogs but some are just plain BAD! Good luck with her, im waiting for my son to understand that she needs to be put down.

Thanks everybody for your comments and suggestions. The puppy is actually doing so much better now!!! For one, we went to the movies the other night and out for some drinks, I came home and thought he would shit and piss all over in his kennel and to my surprise he didnt!! Then last night he actually went all night without going in there. And today he didnt go at all in the house!! I've been giving him alot of praise for going outside and everytime he goes he gets a spongebob squarepants cheez-it as soon as he comes in. I bought a book on huskies the other night and it listed things dogs do to try to establish dominance and mine does them all. He will look you straight in the eyes for long periods of time, and if you look at him too long he'll bark at you. He doesnt do it quite as much anymore but he still does. I've been walking the shit out of him and letting him run outside, he behaves better when he's tired. Last night we were at a freinds house who had a pit bull exactly 13 weeks old like my dog and they play fought for like 3 hours straight. To my surprise my wolf owns that pit. He'll grab him by his leg and just drag him across the yard like a ragdoll,hahaah. But I think they were just playing. I am paying a professional dog trainer to come over to the house and help us out just to be on the safe side. But he has been alot better lately and I think most of his behavior is due to alpha male and also him wanting attention. They say every litter of puppies has 1 alpha male who will show all the others who is boss, I think my stupid ass chose that one. His name is Demon, my stepdaughter named him after some dog in some Disney movie she likes, I think the name jinxed me,hahaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-demon-man-044.jpg   I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-demon-man-003.jpg   I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-demon-man-012.jpg   I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-demon-man-037.jpg   I've never had a dog this bad before, thinking about getting rid of him-demon-man-006.jpg  

WildCh1ld is offline Banned
    Awesome bro................****in awesome...

I stop loving pets after I had to leave one for a long period of time (due to a conspiracy) and never got to see him 1 last time before he died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information