Jsik98 is offline Member

260 solid, but didn't know.........

What's up all? Without making too long of a post, I wanted to share something that occurred the other day. I work at a fitness store and therefore I meet a lot of different people: The young meathead who's in every week in search of the new miracle supp, the oldschool veteran who's making his bi-monthly trip for some whey and a multi, the HOT bod chick looking for the latest fat burner and low carb bars, or the old timer who's been eating oatmeal of 45 years and claims that's the secret to living forever! It's fun to say the least, but I'm also exposed to the complete lack of research by a lot of these people, and for the sake of this thread I'm reffering mostly to bodybuilders.
    So , this guy comes in and he's about 6'2'', 260lbs solid. Definetely a juicer as he's still pretty young (I'd guess mid twenties -26 or so).
    He's been in a few times to get the BSN Mass Stack cause he's a firefighter and I suppose he's done with the juice......for now! Anyway, we start talking and I ask him what he's taking to protect his heart and coronary system, and he replies with "Oh, I just take a multi every morning, that keeps me in check." I asked him if he takes any essential fatty acids, methyl donors, or lecethin.....He didn't know what any of them were! So I went into the whole routine and told him about c-reactive protein (homocysteine) and how certain "supps" lower HDL cholesterol and raise liver enzymes and so forth. (we had an unspoken connection about the "supps" I was reffering to) . So in the end he bought a couple of mandatory (in my eyes) additions and was very thankful for my time and info.......which is gratifying to me and is why I work there w/out any commission!
    The whole point of this thread to get across to anyone who reads this the importance of essential fatty acids (omega 3 -most important b/c it's not found in abundance in foods as the other two, omega-6 and omega-9). The importance of taking methyl donors like methyl B-12 and trimethylglycine as they reduce the toxic amino acid homocysteine to an essential amino acid methionine. Also, that foods like oat bran, wheat germ, and flax meal work wonders on your arteries and will keep your cholesterol in check (I guess that old timer knows what's up!). Another good thing to always be aware of, which also has benefits for aesthetic reasons, is to try and keep your potassium to sodium ratio at 3:1. So much of our food has hidden sodium in it to make it taste better, so supplementing w/ potassium is never a bad idea....the bonus is it helps bring water into the muscle for a fuller appearance, and better recovery.
    I hope this post wasn't too long for some to read and that some of you less studied guys got something out of it, b/c, as always, I'm here to share what knowledge I've gained and learn as much from others as I can. Til' next time.
    - J

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Neat.

I'll move this to the Lounge now, as this is the steroid forum.

~SC~

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Nice post dude, thanks! How would you check your potassium to sodium level? urine test at doctors?

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    does the b-12 have to be methylated? what's trimethylglycine? Is that what it's sold as? Can I get in foods like brocolli and col***our? I was taking a b-12 on days after drinking (mostly weekends) just to get over the hang over faster. I don't think there is any in my multi. Not sure if it's methylated. Woulda B-comlex with all the B's be good 'nuff to git-r-done?

decadbal is offline Banned
    to sweet... will u put my cart away for me at the grocery store next time plz

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    nice info bro good to some someone else realising the importance of micro's

btw b12 doesnt have to be metylathed. Best "stack" to lower homocyste is

folic acid 1-5mg, b12 100-400mcg this lowers homocystein for 80% of people, the reamining 20% needs b6 100-200mg/day.

what is MOST important to keep blood vessels happy is good old vitamin c in big dosages and vitamin e. They prevent LDL oxidation and regular LDL isnt that dangerous its oxidised LDL that do the damage.

Vitamin c also keeps collage production in blood vessels high and that is crucial.
    It also negates any negative effects on the edothelium(inner linings of blood vessels) produced by hyperglycemia for instance by increaseing nitric oxide syntesis and protecting nitric oxide from getting destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Can I get in foods like brocolli and col***our? I was taking a b-12 on days after drinking (mostly weekends) just to get over the hang over faster.
    Veggies nowdays are CRAP if you dont buy organicly grown. They contain something like 1/8 of the vitamins and minerals they used to do thanks to artificial fertilizers

Quote Originally Posted by 63190
    Woulda B-comlex with all the B's be good 'nuff to git-r-done?
    B vitamin complex contains way to little of the crucial ones(b12, b6, folic acid)to lower homocystein.

Jsik98 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    It also negates any negative effects on the edothelium(inner linings of blood vessels) produced by hyperglycemia for instance by increaseing nitric oxide syntesis and protecting nitric oxide from getting destroyed.
    Yeah, I've read that the production of nitric oxide protects against arterial imflammation, which may make it a beneficial addition to a combination of substances like a cycle of steroids. Due to the fact that steroids contribute to high blood pressure and can cause arterial imflammation, one would think adding pde-5 inhibitors or arginine-akg or di-arginine malate to a cycle would protect the arteries from becoming imflamed.
    Do you think high doses of vitamin c would be as effective at protecting arteries as the previously mentioned nitric oxide inducers?

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    nice info bro good to some someone else realising the importance of micro's

btw b12 doesnt have to be metylathed. Best "stack" to lower homocyste is

folic acid 1-5mg, b12 100-400mcg this lowers homocystein for 80% of people, the reamining 20% needs b6 100-200mg/day.

what is MOST important to keep blood vessels happy is good old vitamin c in big dosages and vitamin e. They prevent LDL oxidation and regular LDL isnt that dangerous its oxidised LDL that do the damage.

Vitamin c also keeps collage production in blood vessels high and that is crucial.

good ol' Johan
    he knows his vits

I dont know about those nitric oxide inducers but vitamin c is very effective from everything I have read. In one study it increases nitric oxide synthesis with 100%.

Along with protecting LDL from oxidation I think its just as good as any medication out there.

steroids worst effect imo is from the radical increase in homocystein.

hypertension could be lowered with magnesium and potassium aswell. To bad most resort to meds before trying the natural remidies.

Now Im speculting here but steroids hypertension is most probably caused by the sodium retention from excess estrogen(atleast in the bloating roids) right??

In that case vitamin c should be great in lowering that kind of hypertension aswell(Vitamin C lowers blood pressure and alters vascular responsiveness in salt-induced hypertension. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2002 Dec;80(12):1199-202.)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    good ol' Johan
    he knows his vits
    learning as we speak Love to read about this stuff. Gonna try and catch enough biochem and physiology to get a firm grip on orthomedicine but it will take a great while

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    learning as we speak Love to read about this stuff. Gonna try and catch enough biochem and physiology to get a firm grip on orthomedicine but it will take a great while

hopefully u can summarise it in laymans terms do i can understand it

Thread Information