Silverbackgorilla is offline Junior Member

Any teachers here?

My girlfriend is very interested in becoming a teacher.. She said probably high school social sciences.. Anyone here a teacher? We live in Georgia, so any insight would be great..

What you like?
    What you dont like?
    Best degree for most possible money and advancement?
    How many hours you actually work? I know kids leave around 4:00 or something, how long after that?
    Anything else would be great..

Seems like a pretty cool job-- You are always home for holiday, you get summer off, and you have good benefits.. Pay is not the best, but its not the worst either..

Thanks from my girlfriend and myself.

freakintraining is offline Associate Member
    my wife is going for specail ed teaching...bless her soul....i could never do that

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    Im not sure about Goergia, but in Texas there is a major shortage in teachers, so they are offering to pay for someone to get their certification, and are even hiring teachers without them and allowing a grace period to get it.

If this is offered where your from this is the best idea. This way she can get in and out of school faster and have time to get the feel for if she really likes teaching before she invests even more money into her college education.

Honestly to teach she can have a degree in anything, with a minor in education. I would also suggest taking elective hours in the same field, such as all englishes or histories, in texas if you have 18 hours in something that is not your declaired major or minor you are qualified to teach that as well, which will make her more of an asset to the school since they will be paying only 1 teacher instead of 2

hope some of that is helpful

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    Two years ago I was a Math teacher in a school then I quit because its not my type of jobs

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd love to teach, but I think I'd need to deal drugs to my students on the side to make ends meet.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    I'd love to teach, but I think I'd need to deal drugs to my students on the side to make ends meet.

Dont know about your area, but in mine the start out at $38K yearly.. Its not alot but you get great benefits, and you can make more with further education and you have tons of vacation time. The way I see it

Good----------------
    Benefits
    Retirement
    Hours
    Never work holidays
    lots of vacation
    feel good about what you do(some people)
    You get a break every 50 minutes, so eating or downing a protein/meal replacement shake is easy
    you work around alot of women(great if your a man)

Bad------------------
    Pay
    S*it head kids that have attitudes
    Cant really think of many other negatives
    Could be boring teaching the same thing ED

Any other opinions?

Well, I have to admit I love teaching... but I do it part time at the Fire College here. My students are all adults who want to advance their carreers so most are really driven to learn and achieve.

Pay is good, but honestly neither pay nor "good working hours" and "summers off" are what keep people in education. You really have to love it or leave it.

I can't give your gf any advice on making it a carreer as it's VERY different in every area, but it may be a smart move to "try it out" first be getting involved with the school district as a volunteer with her target age group for at least a session. Would definetly help focus her studies in the right direction

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I can't give your gf any advice on making it a carreer as it's VERY different in every area, but it may be a smart move to "try it out" first be getting involved with the school district as a volunteer with her target age group for at least a session. Would definetly help focus her studies in the right direction

Red
    Thanks for the advice, she really enjoys teaching--she use to work at a day car that taught also, but she wants to teach high or middle school..

As far as your suggestion of volunteering..do you mean being a substitute? Or something else?
    Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackgorilla
    Thanks for the advice, she really enjoys teaching--she use to work at a day car that taught also, but she wants to teach high or middle school..

As far as your suggestion of volunteering..do you mean being a substitute? Or something else?
    Thanks again
    Well, like I said it's really different in all areas so I am not sure what opportunities are available where you are...

But there are all sorts of programs to get adults involved in the schools... I know around here they have mentoring programs where people who have something to offer can go into certain schools and work with the kids (from simple tutoring all the way to teaching special classes).

Her best bet would be to get in touch with the school district, let them know of her plans and areas of studies she's interested in and they'll probably tell her what her options are and what their needs are.

I guess the important thing for her is to make sure she knows what she's getting into before investing a lot of time and hard work getting there. There is a world of a difference between working with pre-schoolers and teens...

Red

Thread Information