3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Seriously need help!

Wello guys!

You all know I coach football, one of my coaches came to me today and said "dodoo we need to do something about this"

See I coach in a football club where we have about 400 players, we have levels from players aged 6 up to 17, I have the 16-17(equivalent to US AAAAA schools).

He told me that, Atom (8-9), mosquitoes(10-11) and pee wee (12-13) are using Red bull supplements and similar crap, we knew the bantam (14-15) and midget (16-17) were drinking that shit but we told the warning to players first.

Now, imagine 10 years old players drinking a ton of caffeines sport drinks before, a game, so they ask me to write a memo to the coaches to tell them the bad effects to these players, so I request your help...

tell me what kind of effects these energy boosting drinks can have on youth!

thanx

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    Damn, thats odd.. That kids that young are looking for an edge...

http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutriti.../caffeine.html

What's Caffeine and How Does It Affect Kids?
    A stimulant that affects children and adults similarly, caffeine is a drug that's naturally produced in the leaves and seeds of many plants. Caffeine is also made artificially and added to certain foods. Caffeine is defined as a drug because it stimulates the central nervous system. At lower levels, caffeine can make people feel more alert and like they have more energy.

In both kids and adults, too much caffeine can cause:
    jitteriness and nervousness
    upset stomach
    headaches
    difficulty concentrating
    difficulty sleeping
    increased heart rate
    increased blood pressure

Especially in young children, it doesn't take a lot of caffeine to produce these effects.

Other reasons to limit kids' caffeine consumption include:
    Consuming one 12-ounce (355-milliliter) sweetened soft drink per day increases a child's risk of obesity by 60%.
    Not only does caffeine contain empty calories (calories that don't provide any nutrients), kids who fill up on caffeinated beverages don't get the vitamins and minerals they need from healthy sources, putting them at risk for developing nutritional deficiencies. In particular, children who drink too much soda (which usually starts between the third and eighth grades) may miss getting the calcium they need from milk to build strong bones and teeth.
    Drinking too many sweetened caffeinated drinks could lead to dental cavities (or caries) from the high sugar content and the erosion of the enamel of the teeth from the acidity. Not convinced that sodas can wreak that much havoc on kids' teeth? Consider this: One 12-ounce (355-milliliter) nondiet, carbonated soft drink contains the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar (49 milliliters) and 150 calories.
    Caffeine is a diuretic that causes the body to eliminate water (through urinating), which may contribute to dehydration. Caffeine may be an especially poor choice in hot weather, when children need to replace water lost through perspiration.
    Abruptly stopping caffeine may cause withdrawal symptoms (headaches, muscle aches, temporary depression, and irritability), especially for those who are used to consuming a lot.
    Caffeine can aggravate heart problems or nervous disorders, and some children may not be aware that they're at risk.

One thing that caffeine doesn't do is stunt growth. Although scientists once worried that caffeine could hinder a child's growth, this concern isn't supported by research.

Red

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/...rgy.drinks.02/

By Elizabeth Cohen
    CNN Medical Unit

ATLANTA (CNN) -- So-called "energy drinks" with names like Red Bull, Adrenaline Rush, and 180 have become big hits in bars, dance clubs and even Wal-Mart. But critics worry the drinks can cause problems both for athletes and for people who mix them with alcohol.

Tracie Rosado, managing partner of The Martini Club in Atlanta, said it is no mystery why "energy drinks" are best sellers. "If I'm tired I just grab a can and I'm good to go," she said. "It just makes me feel alert, awake."

The drinks contain vitamins, amino acids, a large dose of sugar and about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. It's a formula that concerns people like Liz Applegate, a sports nutritionist at the University of California at Davis.

"These cans of energy drinks have some enticing, very sexy-sounding claims -- that they lift you up, that they give you more energy," Applegate said. "Frankly, they're nothing much more than caffeine in a can with a lot of sugar."

Kim Peterson, a spokeswoman for Red Bull, said the beverage is uplifting because it contains vitamins and amino acids, such as taurine. On its Web site, the company says taurine "acts as a metabolic transmitter and additionally has a detoxifying effect and strengthens cardiac contractility." However, its effects are disputed in the scientific community.

Applegate maintains the boost comes mainly from caffeine. And that, she says makes energy drinks a bad idea for athletes.

"Even though they're labeled 'energy drinks,' they should not be consumed during exercise," she said. "They have caffeine, and they're too concentrated in sugar. That's going to slow the body's ability to absorb water."

In a prepared statement, Peterson said the beverage "vitalizes body and mind" but "is not a 'thirst quencher' or fluid replenishment drink."

The company's Web site, however, recommends Red Bull as an "ideal energy drink ... prior to demanding athletic activities, or in a performance drop during a game."

At the Martini Club, the patrons didn't seem to care much about athletic performance. They mixed their Red Bull with vodka, sometimes downing one drink after another. This worries some cardiologists, who say large amounts of either caffeine or alcohol could be dangerous to the heart.

"If they were to drink multiple glasses of this mixture or concoction, I think there'd be a potential for significant danger -- danger such as a racing heart beat, elevation of blood pressure and even potentially a heart attack," said Dr. Laurence Sperling, a cardiologist at the Emory University School of Medicine.

In her statement, Peterson said that "Red Bull does not actively market itself as a mixer for alcohol drinks."

But on the question-and-answer page on its Web site, the company gives that practice a whole-hearted endorsement: "Can you mix Red Bull with alcohol? Yes!"

The Web site states that a "medical report by the 'Institute for Legal Medicine' of the University of Munich" confirms that Red Bull has no effect on the alcohol metabolism."

But Applegate said she is worried that people who ingest a lot of caffeine, a stimulant, along with a lot of alcohol, which has a tranquilizing effect, won't realize how drunk they really are.

"I'm concerned that they may drink more than they would have without the caffeine, because of that alert feeling, and perhaps go out and drive a car," she said.

Still, Applegate added that she doesn't think the drinks are necessarily unhealthy, so long as they are consumed without alcohol. But she also said that while they might be energizing, they are no more so than anything else with the same amount of caffeine

Red

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    i agrea with red..
    red bull has to be dangerous, my football coach used to yell at us for just drinking cokes before a game because of the heat, and all the sugar and caffine.. with red bull your heart gets stimulated, a fourteen year old football player died from a heart attack last week here in texas, it was in nacogdoches, tx if you wanna look it up.

http://medialit.med.sc.edu/kids_and_caffeine.htm

Kids and caffeine: How much is too much?
    BY ERIN ANDERSEN / Lincoln Journal Star

Many of our kids are buzzed before they get to school. Throughout the day they feed the buzz— at lunch, between classes, after school, at dinner and maybe a pick-me-up before homework or sports. Yet most parents don't bat an eye.

Photo illustration by Ted Kirk

Caffeine is the socially accepted drug of choice when it comes to youth of all ages — toddler to teen. Most parents figure a couple of cans of pop, a candy bar or even an iced cappuccino in moderation can't hurt a kid.

That's true. But our notion of "moderation" is growing as companies sell pop in 20-ounce bottles instead of 12-ounce cans, as restaurants encourage people to supersize for a better deal, as schools and recreation centers install vending machines for added revenue, and as wanna-be superstars, youths emulate their role models by downing energy drinks for that extra boost in performance.

Yet, doctors and nutritionists say "moderation" for kids and caffeine means about two 6-ounce cups of coffee a day for teens, and less than one 12-ounce can of Mountain Dew for younger kids.

Although there is no agreement on just how much caffeine is acceptable, some experts suggest no more than 100 mg a day, depending upon the age of the child. The younger the child, the less caffeine should be allowed. According to health and fitness guru Bob Greene's Web site —www.getwiththeprogram.org — daily caffeine limits by age should be 45 mg for 4-to 6-year-olds; 63 mg for 7- to 9- year-olds and 85 mg for 10- to 12- year-olds. Adults should limit themselves to 300 mg a day — about the amount in three cups of coffee, according to Greene's Web site.

Many pediatricians and dietitians will tell you the best amount of caffeine for kids is none at all.

Kids don't need caffeine to function — what they need is adequate sleep, good nutrition and plenty of milk and water, said Anne Widga, dietitian with BryanLGH Medical Center's Diabetes Center.

But try convincing our kids of that.

The problem is no one really knows just how much caffeine our kids are consuming, said Dr. Stephen Daniels, professor and associate chairman of the department of pediatrics at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.

A decade-old study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's research service found a threefold increase in soda consumption among teen boys from 1974 to 1994. Among 6- to 11-year-olds, soda consumption doubled between 1974 and 1994.

Virtually everyone agrees that soda consumption among kids has skyrocketed since then.

"It does seem that because children are consuming more soft drinks, that they are getting more added sugar and more caffeine," Daniels said.

He blames vending machines in schools as well as larger portion sizes for some of that increase.

The problems created by all this caffeine consumption are multiple.

First, there are the normal effects of caffeine. It's a mild stimulant that affects the central nervous system, which is why so many adults drink coffee to wake up or become alert.

But too much caffeine can cause nervousness, irritability, insomnia, headaches and dizziness, according to Eric Chudler Neuroscience for Kids, a Washington State University-based Web site. Too much caffeine can reduce attention spans and decrease a child's ability to perform tasks requiring fine motor coordination, arithmetic skills or accurate timing.

Caffeine is quick-acting. Often people feel its effects within 15 minutes. Once in the body, it takes about six hours to eliminate just half of the caffeine.

For kids — whose bodies are smaller and weigh less — the effects are increased.

In addition to the stimulant effects, caffeine also is a diuretic, which means it increases urination. That can lead to dehydration — particularly on hot summer days — if people drink excess amounts of caffeinated beverages without replenishing themselves with water, according to the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.

As with adults, kids can become dependent on caffeine — needing more and more of it to get the same desired effects.

Although much research has been done on caffeine's effects on adults, particularly in fertility, pregnancy and heart issues, few studies have looked at the effects of caffeine on growing bodies of children and teens, Widga said.

What is known is that too much caffeine can cause a loss of calcium and magnesium from the body — both are vital for bone development, Widga said.

And often, if kids are drinking pop or coffee, it means they are drinking less milk, as well as filling up on sugar and "empty calories" as opposed to nutritional foods, such as fruits and vegetables.

"If they are drinking pops and other things instead of milk, it doubles their issue for bone loss," Widga said.

It also increases their risk of obesity. According to the Nemours Foundation, a child who drinks just one 12-ounce sweetened soft drink per day, increases his or her risk of obesity by 60 percent.

"Another thing doctors are wondering about is the possibility that excess caffeine consumption problems may not reveal themselves until these kids are adults," Widga said.

She wonders if doctors will see increasing incidents of osteoporosis and high blood pressure at younger ages because of all the caffeine kids are consuming at younger ages.

New evidence indicates caffeine consumption may actually be the cause of high blood pressure in kids, according to Daniels.

Which is one reason why doctors and even marketers say the new drinks charged with caffeine, sugar and taurine are not appropriate for children. The drinks are targeted to a young adult male crowd, but their cool cans and even cooler advertising make them an irresistible temptation to younger kids who want to excel in the physical activities of their choice. Pop singer Britney Spears likes to mix Red Bull and apple juice to pump her up before concerts.

France has banned some energy drinks. Other European countries require warning labels on the drinks telling people about the caffeine content.

Currently there are no rules or labeling requirements in the United States, and any kid can buy a can of Red Bull, Amp or Monster as long as he or she has enough pocket change for these pricey but alluring energy drinks.

Officially, U.S. pediatricians have not taken a uniform stand on kids' caffeine consumption. But more and more they are recommending kids avoid it or, at the very least, that parents restrict it in their diets — especially in light of new studies of kids, caffeine and sleep.

One study found "detectable ill effects on health" after monitoring the sleep patterns of seventh-, eighth-, and ninth-graders and their caffeine consumption. The study found that teens tended to increase their caffeine use after Wednesday and continued to peak through Saturday, then declined — which according to the American Academy of Pediatrics partially supports the hypothesis that teens sometimes use caffeine to counteract daytime sleepiness from sleep lost on school nights.

Other studies have found that caffeine intake can delay sleep. Or perhaps worse, allows young drinkers to fall asleep but not sleep soundly.

"Over time that lack of sleep will have a downside for sure," Widga said.

Said Daniels, "The best approach is to try to avoid caffeine. If it is consumed by children, it should be in moderation."

Reach Erin Andersen at 473-7217 or [email protected].

Red

Alex2 is offline Senior Member
    I have started drinking coffee when I was like 12 or 13 y.o. to help me in swimming competitions. Currently, I drink at least 6 cups of strong black instant coffee (no sugar, no milk or cream at all) every day and, honestly, I never had any kind of health problems so far.

Vandoo, j'espere que tu vas trouver de quois d'utile la dedans...

If it's possible, I'd advise the coached to BAN energy drinks and let the kids (and their parents) know they'll be suspended if they are caught using them.

Red

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex2
    I have started drinking coffee when I was like 12 or 13 y.o. to help me in swimming competitions. Currently, I drink at least 6 cups of strong black instant coffee (no sugar, no milk or cream at all) every day and, honestly, I never had any kind of health problems so far.

coffee is better, I think that in red bull there soemthing like 6 cup of coffee in a can, these kids drinks like 4 of them before a game!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I agree little kids should shy away from it.

However, I believe Red Bull is some weak ass shit.

@250ml a can of red bull:

32mg of caffeine per 100ml

That's not even 100 mgs. of caffeine. A typical Vivarin tablet or No Doz is 200 per tablet.

A big strong cup of french roast will get you more hyped than that cough syrup shit.

~SC~

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    coffee is better, I think that in red bull there soemthing like 6 cup of coffee in a can, these kids drinks like 4 of them before a game!
    This has to be dangerous. I drink one of those things and I feel like I'm on clen . I can't imagine what 4 would do (especially to a kid), over a period of time.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    I never drink coffee and have no tolerance to it. When I have 1/2 aspirin and drink a Red Bull, I'm stoked for a while

I also get buzzed on only four beers, so...
    Last edited by Keyser Sozey; 08-21-2005 at 09:50 PM.

Yeah but swole dont't forget... 32mg of caffeine may not be much to a 250 lbs man with a lifetime of drinking coffee caffeine tolerance... but in a 65 lbs boy it's another story... specially if he smacks down a few cans... thats a lot of caffeine and raw sugar for an 11yo

Red

Thread Information