j martini is offline Member

Close call on Bench Press

Just back from the gym, it was chest day and i came very close to tearing a pec on the incline barbell press.

I started benching again about 6 weeks ago because the dumbells at the gym are now too light. I alternate each week between flat and incline press, this week was incline.

I warmed up with 135 pounds for 2 sets and another warm up set at 225 this is not a challenging weight, came down on the forth rep and felt a slight twinge, on the 5th rep it got tighter again so i racked the weight right away i knew something was not right and after reading Swolecats experience a few weeks back decided to go home.

I think it is a very minor tear on the right upper pec just an inch or so inside my armpit it is still tight and sore to lift anyhing with my right arm.

I was getting good results since i started benching but will be pre exhausting my chest from now on and pressing on a smith machine. Simply not worth tearing a pec, i think when you have a certain amount of muscle mass the joints and ligaments just are not strong enough to cope for some people while benching.

I count myself lucky especially as i will be competing next march and certainly do not need a pec tear at this stage.

chest6 is offline Banned
    hm i have that little tweak time to time..i hope it never gets worse..good thing to hear u didnt actually tear it

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Good to hear you avoided injury! Isn't it weird how even at 225, you can F yourself up? It's the f*cking barbell man, it's a horrible movement for chest development. You soon get to a point of "no positive return" where you risk injury for literally NO MORE development at all! All of the pressure is placed on the pec/delt tie in, because the arms cannot move together in a natural range of motion. The purpose OF THE PECS is to bring the arms ACROSS THE BODY, not push them out in front of the body. That is what the triceps do.

So, pre-exhaust w/flyes on a pec deck, then use d-bells with a 2-2 or 3-2 cadence and squeeze at the top of the movement. Very low risk of injury as the shoulders/pecs track at a normal position, and you can really isolate the pec muscles themselves which is the entire point of working chest.

Really, beacuse one "SNAP" and you're f*cked for over a year!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by j martini
    Just back from the gym, it was chest day and i came very close to tearing a pec on the incline barbell press.

I started benching again about 6 weeks ago because the dumbells at the gym are now too light. I alternate each week between flat and incline press, this week was incline.

I warmed up with 135 pounds for 2 sets and another warm up set at 225 this is not a challenging weight, came down on the forth rep and felt a slight twinge, on the 5th rep it got tighter again so i racked the weight right away i knew something was not right and after reading Swolecats experience a few weeks back decided to go home.

I think it is a very minor tear on the right upper pec just an inch or so inside my armpit it is still tight and sore to lift anyhing with my right arm.

I was getting good results since i started benching but will be pre exhausting my chest from now on and pressing on a smith machine. Simply not worth tearing a pec, i think when you have a certain amount of muscle mass the joints and ligaments just are not strong enough to cope for some people while benching.

I count myself lucky especially as i will be competing next march and certainly do not need a pec tear at this stage.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Yesterday I was doing incline smith machine, light 190 or so for 15 -20 reps. Sic pump, but today have pain from shoulder down Bi, weird pain to never felt it before, what the hell are we supposed to do for upper chest ?? I thought that SC said he was doing dumbbells when he hurt himself so I changed to smith machine!! Is it just the motion???Suc's anyway, hope you heal quickly!

j martini is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Good to hear you avoided injury! Isn't it weird how even at 225, you can F yourself up? It's the f*cking barbell man, it's a horrible movement for chest development. You soon get to a point of "no positive return" where you risk injury for literally NO MORE development at all! All of the pressure is placed on the pec/delt tie in, because the arms cannot move together in a natural range of motion. The purpose OF THE PECS is to bring the arms ACROSS THE BODY, not push them out in front of the body. That is what the triceps do.

So, pre-exhaust w/flyes on a pec deck, then use d-bells with a 2-2 or 3-2 cadence and squeeze at the top of the movement. Very low risk of injury as the shoulders/pecs track at a normal position, and you can really isolate the pec muscles themselves which is the entire point of working chest.

~SC~
    Yeah. I will be pre exhausting from now on. My chest is my lagging bodypart so the last thing i need is a pec tear.

Development will probably improve as well as my shoulders and arms are dominant. So having my chest pre exhausted with flyes before moving to presses should help.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuns101
    I thought that SC said he was doing dumbbells when he hurt himself so I changed to smith machine!!
    Nah man he was doing regular flat bench with a barbell

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Nah man he was doing regular flat bench with a barbell
    Correct! I was repping out 315 and riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip.

I was like WTF???????????

~SC~

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member

~SC~
    Actually, the recovery time for a pec tear (not partial), is usually 3-6 months.
    I was recommended 6 months off by my surgeon. After 4 1/2 months, I began training chest again.
    In this article, we describe complete pectoralis major muscle injuries in three patients, two of whom were treated operatively and one of whom was treated nonoperatively.

Case 1
    A 42-year-old right-handed acupuncturist was manipulating a patient with a twisting internal rotation of his left upper arm when he felt a sudden snap and marked pain in his left axilla. He presented to our office several hours after the injury, supporting his left arm with his uninjured hand.

On examination the skin was intact, and a moderate degree of swelling with some ecchymosis had developed around the shoulder area. He reported tenderness on palpation over the anterior aspect of the proximal humerus and the entire axillary area. There was a suggestion of a loss of the anterior axillary contour that was best visualized when the patient's arm was in a passively abducted position, but this was difficult to fully appreciate because of the edema. All ranges of active motion were painful and weak relative to the opposite side, but pain and weakness were greatest during adduction and internal rotation.

A detailed neurocirculatory exam was normal, and a radiographic trauma series, consisting of an anteroposterior view in the scapular plane, a lateral scapular Y-view, and an axillary view, showed no bony abnormalities. A presumptive diagnosis of complete distal rupture or avulsion of the pectoralis major was confirmed by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI, figure 1a).

The patient's arm was immobilized with a sling until operative treatment was given. With a standard deltopectoral approach to the shoulder, a complete rupture of the distal tendon was identified. The tendon was mobilized and secured with five suture anchors (figures 1b and 1c). Postoperatively, he advanced in a physical therapy program and returned to his profession in 4 months.

Case 2
    A 25-year-old right-handed National Basketball Association player was playing basketball on vacation when he fell, pinning his left arm behind his body and injuring his left shoulder. The local emergency department diagnosed a shoulder sprain.

On examination several days later, he reported significant loss of motion and weakness on adduction. No deformity existed along the axilla, but there was moderate bruising. X-rays were unremarkable. The patient's MRI revealed extensive tearing of the pectoralis major muscle near the musculotendinous junction, with a large amount of fluid collecting in the tissue planes within the muscle and spreading distally to the tendinous insertion.

The operative procedure and findings were similar to those in case 1, with a deltopectoral surgical approach, and repair of the ruptured distal tendon with suture anchors.

Postoperative care included immobilization of the patient's arm in a sling for 4 weeks, followed by an aggressive rehabilitation program. Isokinetic strength testing done 3 months after surgery demonstrated only a 12% deficit with both external and internal rotation of the injured side. The patient returned to full competition at that point (figure 2). He completed the season without difficulties, and continues as a starting player 3 1/2 years postoperatively.

Case 3
    A 31-year-old right-handed professional jai alai player reported a popping sensation and immediate, severe pain after releasing the ball at high speed from his cesta basket. The pain was mainly in the right anterior chest wall. He denied having dyspnea.

One day after the injury, physical examination revealed a fullness in the right pectoral region along with ecchymosis along the chest wall. There was no tenderness at the distal insertion of the tendon on the humerus. Radiographs were unremarkable. An MRI (figure 3) demonstrated a large pectoralis major tear in the muscle belly with no involvement of the tendon or musculotendinous junction.

Because there was no gross displacement and the patient desired nonoperative care, he was treated conservatively. His arm was immobilized for 10 days, after which a physical therapy program was initiated. He returned to full pain-free competition at 3 months.

Diagnosis
    The histories in these three cases are typical for this injury. The majority of ruptures occur in the third and fourth decades (4). The patient often describes an audible pop, snap, or tearing sensation, which is usually accompanied by immediate, marked pain and weakness. The role of anabolic steroid use in this condition is unknown, and none of the patients in our series admitted steroid use.

Mechanism of injury. The most common mechanism of injury occurs when excessive force is brought to bear on the pectoralis major muscle complex indirectly through the arm. An attempt to break a fall with an outstretched hand can apply this type of indirect force to the muscle-tendon unit, resulting in a rupture (1).

Physical findings. With these injuries, the physical examination will likely reveal a painful limitation of motion, swelling and ecchymosis, and weakness, especially in adduction and internal rotation.

Findings vary depending on the site of the rupture. If the muscle is injured at or near its origin, the swelling and ecchymosis will be along the anterior chest wall. The injured muscle belly may retract toward the axillary fold, causing the fold to be enlarged (5). A distal avulsion often disrupts the normal contour of the anterior axillary area. A thin or absent axillary fold may be obvious, but a large hematoma, some retained fibers, or fascia may mask the defect of the anterior axillary wall (4). An effort to contract the muscle against resistance will accentuate the deformity.

In chronic cases of pectoralis major rupture, the defect will be more prominent, with obvious asymmetry as compared with the opposite side. Without treatment, weakness in adduction and internal rotation will persist.

Imaging studies. The diagnosis can usually be made after a complete and careful history and exam. Radiographs are unremarkable in most circumstances. Occasionally, other tests and imaging modalities can be used, especially for differentiating partial from complete ruptures. MRI provides excellent detail and clarity, giving important information regarding the specific location of the injury (muscle substance, musculotendinous junction, or tendon insertion). Liu et al (2) used isokinetic muscle testing, computed tomography scanning, and ultrasonography to delineate a chronic injury.

Treatment
    Conservative treatment. Nonoperative treatment is the preferred choice for partial tears and consists of immobilization, rest, cryotherapy, compression for control of the hematoma, and analgesia. Progressive Codman pendulum exercises can be initiated at 1 to 2 weeks postinjury, followed by active and active assisted range-of-motion exercises at 4 to 6 weeks. A strengthening program can be started once full pain-free motion has returned. This usually requires 6 to 8 weeks from the time of the injury.

Surgical approaches. Multiple surgical procedures have been described, including direct end-to-end repair at the musculotendinous junction or muscle substance and stabilization of the tendon to the bone through drill holes or suture anchors.

Complete tears can be treated surgically or nonsurgically, but some authors feel that for complete ruptures surgical repair is essential to restore complete function and contour, especially in young, active patients (2). In one of the largest series reported in the literature, Park and Espiniella (6) reported that only 58% of patients who had nonoperative treatment for complete ruptures showed good results. In the same series, 90% of the surgically treated patients had excellent or good results. Wolfe et al (7) reported a 26% peak torque deficit and 40% work deficit on isokinetic testing in a conservatively treated patient. In a bilateral injury the surgically repaired side had one third more peak torque. According to Kretzler and Richardson (8), the majority of reports in the literature showed that full strength was achieved only with operative repair.

Postoperative management consists of sling immobilization for 4 weeks, with pendulum exercises allowed immediately. After the period of immobilization, range-of-motion exercises can be started, followed by a progression to strengthening similar to the conservative treatment program described above. Return to competition or unrestricted sports participation is usually possible 3 to 6 months postsurgery, when the patient's full range of motion and normal strength have returned.
    The Physician and Sports Medicine: Rupture of the Pectoralis Major
    author: F. Harlan Selesnick

Muskeln zu zerreißen ist schmerzlich! Manometer!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thReichFuhrer
    Muskeln zu zerreißen ist schmerzlich! Manometer!
    who are you

Michael...my name is Michael, bro. Who are you? Big Ron Coleman?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yea my name is Ronnie Coleman. Whats with the user name and pic

Hitler and the history of Germany's Three Great Reichs (Kingdoms) is an important and intriging part of world history...ignoring warning signs like Hitler's autobiography, Mein Kampf can have devastating results...I simply enjoy Germany's history (it's successes as well as downfalls) and enjoy reading about Hitler objectively, with no feeling or political sidings towards Nazism.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thReichFuhrer
    Hitler and the history of Germany's Three Great Reichs (Kingdoms) is an important and intriging part of world history...ignoring warning signs like Hitler's autobiography, Mein Kampf can have devastating results...I simply enjoy Germany's history (it's successes as well as downfalls) and enjoy reading about Hitler objectively, with no feeling or political sidings towards Nazism.
    excellent, I agree, thats what i was looking for..along those lines
    just makin sure u didnt want to start another holocaust..

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    ~SC~

SC, may sound a little dumb..but what is a 2-2 or 3-2 cadence with dumbells? Thanks!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gymnutt
    SC, may sound a little dumb..but what is a 2-2 or 3-2 cadence with dumbells? Thanks!
    first number eccentric part of lift (the downward movement) 2 or 3 seconds down
    second number concentric part of lift (the upward movement) 2 seconds up

sorry if i stole ur thunder swole

schico28 is offline Junior Member
    If any body knows what is the recovering time for a tear hamstring.

Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schico28
    I had the pec tear article for my reference. However, I found this for you...

Hamstring Tears
    Symptoms
    You feel sudden pain when the muscle is over-stretched – for example, when hurdling an obstacle or sprinting at the end of a race. It then hurts when you straighten the knee, and running will be slow, if not impossible.

Signs
    The professional can usually put a finger on the site of a tear and induce appropriate discomfort. There may be a gap within the muscle, or hardened bruising, but it is encouraging if there is visible bleeding under the skin and tracking of the blood flow towards the knee. This indicates that the sheath of muscle has been breached, blood has escaped and healing will therefore be more rapid. Pain occurs if bending the knee is resisted, or if the patient attempts to stretch the muscle.

What else could it be?
    Damage to the sciatic nerve by a lumbar disc is a well-recognised red herring which causes pain in the back of the thigh. The doctor will also wish to exclude those infections, tumours and bone and muscle disease which strike these areas once in his professional lifetime.

Self-treatment
    You cannot go wrong with RICE, always remembering that this should be continued through rehabilitation, as the muscle is stretched and power is regained. Not only is the commonest cause of hamstring injury an unrehabilitated prior tear, but a weak hamstring muscle also predisposes to knee injury.

Can you run through it?/Recovery time
    Recovery time may be days, weeks or months, depending on the severity of the tear and how rapidly you treat it. Running through it is unwise, but that is unlikely to stop the masochists among you.
    Bodyworks: Hamstring Injuries
    author: Patrick Milroy

G-13 is offline Member
    Yea my name is Ronnie Coleman. Whats with the user name and pic
    lmao...i dont know why but that is some funny shit.....i need to stop smoking so much pot before i go to bed

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schico28

Benches505 is offline 75% HGH 25% Testosterone
    You guys are scaring me

That's all good, I still have my lightning

~SC~

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    first number eccentric part of lift (the downward movement) 2 or 3 seconds down
    second number concentric part of lift (the upward movement) 2 seconds up

Thanks chest6! Smarter = Bigger in my book

Thread Information