Raven8264 is offline Junior Member

Just bought my first bike

That bike vid thread got me inspired, so I thought I'd share with ya. I just bought my very first motorcycle, a 2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Raven Midnight Custom. Thought about a Harley Sportster, but the thing was too damn small on me. I looked like a freakin' circus bear on one of those little tricycles.

Never even sat on a bike before I found the V-Star, but my sister got an Iron Horse (paid 23g's..1600cc), so I figured I better get a move on. Took the Motorcycle Safety course (3-days) last week and just started riding it. Before the course I was scared to even touch one. After I passed the course I couldn't wait to get to the dealer to drive my baby home. Anyway, here's some pics. The last one is my sis on her Iron Horse (she's the one in front sitting on it).

All I can say is, people can tell you what it's like to ride, but you just can't truly know until you actually experience it. On the ride home I had to hit the interstate and my God. Never having ridden before then, it was just an unbelievable experience. It was like...well, I had to work in a couple hours, and I was half-tempted to say screw it and ride until the gas tank dried up. Now I know why some people are so hard-core about their bikes. I've definitely got the bug now

nickm748 is offline Associate Member
    nice bike man, Good luck with everything and ride safe.

I also took the 3day course and it was real informative. Just remember to look out for OTHER drives. All that aside im either getting a gsxr-600 or r6 within the next year.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Damn.,..you learned to drive in 3 days only??..I hope it takes the same here..gonna get a small 400-600cc Sports bike for college...

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Not my kinda bike, but if your happy thats the main thing.

sngleguyinmo31 is offline Junior Member
    Im gettin a new bike in Jan. Cannot wait! I have been riding for several years now and have had several bike. My next bike is the Suzuki GSX1300RZK5 Hiabushi Limited Edition. Freaking Sweat Bike.
    Nice Bike Gachamann!! Good Luck and Ride Safe

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sngleguyinmo31
    Im gettin a new bike in Jan. Cannot wait! I have been riding for several years now and have had several bike. My next bike is the Suzuki GSX1300RZK5 Hiabushi Limited Edition. Freaking Sweat Bike.
    Nice Bike Gachamann!! Good Luck and Ride Safe
    ummm... that would be a gsx1300r (k5 is for the model year, meaning 2005, their is no z in there) Hayabusa(not hiabushi)..

Ive got an rc51, a honda hawk(oldie but goodie), and an old 900rr street fightered stunt bike.

sngleguyinmo31 is offline Junior Member
    I know its a 2005 and i also know that its a gsx1300r and the z i have no clue why it was there...LOL i have a brochure that list it as gsx1300rzk5 and as for the spelling sorry bro best subject wasnt my spelling. matter fact it wasnt school at all....i did what it took to get by. I have a yamaha yz250f dirt bike also. its a blast and the damn thing is very fast.

Raven8264 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys. Green I know what ya mean, some are just more into sports bikes versus cruisers and vice versa. Sports bikes are fun as hell to watch, but I wouldn't be happy owning one..would be fun to ride through a few curves, though!

IronFreak yeah, only 3 days. I told everyone I would be the "special project" since everyone else in the class had at least some riding experience. Out of 12 I ended up getting 3rd highest grade on the final driving evaluations. Reason is a lot of people go in with years of experience, and bad habits ingrained into them, and it's either hard to change, or they have the attitude that they're right and the instructor's wrong.

You take a few classes, watch a few videos, then go out to the range and train on their bikes (I used a Honda Shadow 250, I think it was). They start you slow, just learning how to shift into 1st gear without stalling, nice and easy, and eventually you ride in 1st..learn how to brake..learn how to turn, and it gets more advanced as you keep going. By the end, you're ready to hit traffic.

As nickm said though, it's usually not you, it's the other drivers. The statistic they gave me was 60% of accidents involving motorcycles happen in intersections. Also, 70% of all accidents involving motorcycles are NOT the biker's fault. The one thing they drilled into our head, assume everyone on the road is an idiot LOL. You'll live longer.

Evil Predator is offline Senior Member
    shoulda got a sportbike and took it to the track... An addiction worse than the gym it is...

Thread Information