Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    symatech is offline Retired Moderator

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

Has anyone read this book? I started reading it recently and have not been able to put it down. It is without a doubt one of the most interesting -although depressing- books I have ever read. If you have any interest in WWII or Nazi Germany and how it became one of the most powerfull nations in the world I highly suggest you pick up a copy. I got one for $4.95 on amazon.

peace

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    i did not read that one, but im a WWII buff. Ill look that one up

definately do, it is predominately a first hand account of Hiters rise to power, and the rest is all based on secret nazi documents which were confiscated after the war and shown to only a select few before their return to Germany. Everything the author says in the book is backed by hard documents which he refrences relentlessly. It is a MUST if you are a WWII buff. enjoy

juicehoe is offline Anabolic Member
    Sweet... i mean i already know all about the rise and fall, but i love a good read about it. Those specials on the history channel are great too
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    definately do, it is predominately a first hand account of Hiters rise to power, and the rest is all based on secret nazi documents which were confiscated after the war and shown to only a select few before their return to Germany. Everything the author says in the book is backed by hard documents which he refrences relentlessly. It is a MUST if you are a WWII buff. enjoy

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm watching the Band of Brothers series right now...

Band of Brothers rocks. Go Screaming Eagles!!
    Last edited by symatech; 09-12-2004 at 06:27 PM.

decadbal is offline Banned
    Rangers Lead the Way.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Isnt that book over 1000 pages? I think I took one look at it in the library and immediately picked something shorter.

decadbal is offline Banned
    1000pages eh..any book that requires effort to carry, isnt what u need in your life

Iowa is offline Banned
    i started reading it about a year ago, but had to stop with school and all. I got to the chapter on the Beer Hall Putsch then quit, but Im going to pick it up again shortly. And B.O.B. does kick ass. Ive got in on DVD and ive watched the whole thing about 6 times. Best thing ive ever seen by far.

Bro after the beer hall putsch it just takes off. when you get to the chapter called "the nazification of germany" its just incredible how fast and dilligently he conquered germany, then the border nations. then their bordering nations etc.

Iowa is offline Banned
    Bro after the beer hall putsch it just takes off. when you get to the chapter called "the nazification of germany" its just incredible how fast and dilligently he conquered germany, then the border nations. then their bordering nations etc.
    What page you on bro?

400 something, i read about 50 pages a day +/- sometimes im too busy to read it but i usually make time.

400 something, i read about 50 pages a day +/- sometimes im too busy to read it but i usually make time.

I'm thinking of another one then.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member

Great Book!

The author of the book is William Shirer. He was an American news correspondent living in Berlin when Hitler came to power. I think he left in late 1940. Great book. It is a must read for any WW2 buff. That book alone gives one a solid foundation to the history of Nazi Germany. Including Hitlers childhood and what shaped his personality to become the tyrant he was. Shirer calls Hitler, and I quote, "an undoubted but evil genius" He also states the reason Germany lost the war was because they had to delay attacking Russia by three months because Mussollini invaded Greece and was being routed, so they diverted several divisions to Yugoslavia and Greece to bail him out. According to Shirer, this cost the Germans three valuable months of good weather, and they were unable to capture Moscow even though they were close enough to see the downtown sphires, it dropped to 60 degrees below zero and they simply could not advance. Reading Shirer's book gives one a feeling of how it would have been to live during those days in Europe. A Great read.

Quote Originally Posted by inheritmylife
    no your not, its something like 1200 pages if i recall -dont have it in front of me- i dont know if you were joking in your first post but for the sake of argument, to decline a book based on its thickness is just as ridiculous as turning it down because of its cover.

Iowa is offline Banned
    No, youre right bro. its over 1100 pgs. I just asked him what page he was on.

no your not, its something like 1200 pages if i recall -dont have it in front of me- i dont know if you were joking in your first post but for the sake of argument, to decline a book based on its thickness is just as ridiculous as turning it down because of its cover.

Yeah, thanks. I was joking. I usually read about four or five books at once, cycling between them depending upon my interest in them. I put everything else aside when I'm going to get into a longer book, or one that requires more attention and concentration in order to stay interested. I just finished The History of the Pelaponnesian(sp.) War. That was pretty dry.

I'm reading the 9/11 commision Report, Founding Brothers, The 3rd Chimpanzee, and 1984 right now. I just picked up Guns, Germs, and Steel and really want to get into that. The 3rd Chimpanzee is great, and GG&S is also by Jared Diamond. It won the Pulitzer Prize.

cool beans, i was pretty sure you were joking and didnt want to make an ass out of myself by jumping on your back n what not

peace

cool beans, i was pretty sure you were joking and didnt want to make an ass out of myself by jumping on your back n what not

peace

I understand, you long-book reading douche-bag.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    Has anyone read this book? I started reading it recently and have not been able to put it down. It is without a doubt one of the most interesting -although depressing- books I have ever read. If you have any interest in WWII or Nazi Germany and how it became one of the most powerfull nations in the world I highly suggest you pick up a copy. I got one for $4.95 on amazon.

peace

Any politician who shows signs of testicular fortitude (like adolf) will rise to power. Today we vote for the lesser of two panzies.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Gonna have to get my hands on that book. Good read while at work I bet

thanks for the tip

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juicehoe
    Sweet... i mean i already know all about the rise and fall, but i love a good read about it. Those specials on the history channel are great too
    HELL YEAH!! i really enjoy civil war stuff also

Quote Originally Posted by hung-solo
    HELL YEAH!! i really enjoy civil war stuff also

If you want a cool perspective on the Civil War, read The Killer Angels.

If you want a cool perspective on the Civil War, read The Killer Angels.
    No doubt about that. The Killer Angels is a very interesting book.

No doubt about that. The Killer Angels is a very interesting book.

After reading it, I felt compelled to go see the battlegrounds at Gettysburg. It's just how I had imagined it. Looking at the geography and terrain, its amazing Lee did as well as he did.

Yeah, when I was in junior high my mother and I drove all over the country over a period of 3 summers, one summer we went up (and down) the east coast and hit every civil war battlesight that we could. Gettysburg is a very emotional place. Standing where the rock wall remains are, looking over the open field where Lee's army marched under barrage of constant cannon/shot fire is incredible. You look at how warfare has changed in the past few hundred years and its shocking. Nowadays, I would say who in his right mind would send his men walking over a mile long open field knowing **** well most of them would be killed before they even got to the objective.

Yeah, when I was in junior high my mother and I drove all over the country over a period of 3 summers, one summer we went up (and down) the east coast and hit every civil war battlesight that we could. Gettysburg is a very emotional place. Standing where the rock wall remains are, looking over the open field where Lee's army marched under barrage of constant cannon/shot fire is incredible. You look at how warfare has changed in the past few hundred years and its shocking. Nowadays, I would say who in his right mind would send his men walking over a mile long open field knowing **** well most of them would be killed before they even got to the objective.

Very soon after that, armies adopted trench warfare. Longstreet was actually very imfluential in this as he was an advocate of a more defensively oriented battlefield and loathed the high casualty rates.

really? longstreet was an advocate of defensive combat? I know he was opposed to attacking on the 3rd day of gettysburg but had to follow lee's orders. Good for him. You would have thought that both Union and Confederacy would have learned from the success of the swamp fox against the british armies in the rev. war.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    really? longstreet was an advocate of defensive combat? I know he was opposed to attacking on the 3rd day of gettysburg but had to follow lee's orders. Good for him. You would have thought that both Union and Confederacy would have learned from the success of the swamp fox against the british armies in the rev. war.
    that really wasnt trench warfare though (swamp fox) more like gorilla warfare and yes the civil war had quite a few groups that practiced that..

Yup. This is part of the reason I liked the guy so much in the book. Of course, defensive combat didnt really turn out to be any better for casualty numbers as we can see from WW1, but it did plant the seeds for maneuver warfare, which does get much more accomplished with limited loss of lives.

We can thank the, that's right, Germans for maneuver warfare.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

i'll pick it up next time i'm in the city..

purplelaceteddy is offline Female Member
    I took a course my senior year in college called the

Rise and Fall of Communism........

the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was one of the required texts......

but has communisum really FELL?????
    At a bookstore the other day, I saw a book entitled "Sex for Dummies." Why would someone want to teach dumb people how to reproduce? Aren't there enough of them now?

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Read it, it was very good.

il Duce is offline Banned
    Read all you can about WW 2, you can never learn enough. Imagine the power and careful planning it took Hitler to devise and carry out all of his brainwashing of German political powers and German citizens in general, and how he somehow managed to rise from an artist to Fuhrer...

although, I must admit, he did gain a lot of clout by using loyal members of his GWP to attack and destroy any political opposition, and the fact that he took advantage of Deutshland's dire financial situation to gain clout

Quote Originally Posted by purplelaceteddy
    I took a course my senior year in college called the

Rise and Fall of Communism........

the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich was one of the required texts......

but has communisum really FELL?????
    Communism, much like any other form of political power, will never completely be absolved. You can silence thousands of Communists, and only strengthen their resolve, and or push them into a defensive mode which may lead to war. Nazism and communism are primarily influenced and kept going by extreme national loyalists who still believe in the power of the past and know all about the successes of their regimes and worship the "war heroes" of the past in a vain attempt to try and reachieve historical greatness.

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member

We can thank the, that's right, Germans for maneuver warfare.

Actually, maneuver warfare was invented and mastered originally by Ghengis Khan and the Mongolians. The Germans brought it into the modern era. Substitute horses for tanks, light cavalry for mechanized infantry, and you can see where I'm going. If you read a book on Rommels military stratagies and how they were formed he states he based his concept of mobile warfare and constantly moving on the military philosophy of Ghengis Khan and the mongolians. Ghengis Khans son, Ogadei, further mastered the mobile war concept. By breaking up large units into small mobile ones he would attack from all angles and it would seem to the ones being attacked that the enemy was coming from everywhere. This disoriented and confused the ones being attacked causing disruption and panic. Most all of the victories the Mongolians, and the Germans won were accomplished with much smaller forces than their enemies.

Is this the best military strategy of modern times, probably. It is the stategy our military(United States), has adopted.

With this military strategy Mongolia established the largest land empire in history, and a country the size of Oregon(Germany) conquered all of Europe(excluding England) and almost won World War Two. Of course many other factors were involved but military philosophy certainly was a very important reason.

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

peace
    is it a hollywood type book or it is a pure political non biased book ?

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    I did bro, for me, it is one of the best books I ever read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information