Papi93 is offline AR VET

Strength & Conditioning for My Dog

I was watching the news and they were talking about busting a dog-fighting owner. He had treadmills for conditioning and ropes for neck strengthening in his apartment. I would never have my dog fight but I found this strength & conditioning interesting. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping me whip my german shepherd - hound mix into pitbull shape?

1badcamaro is offline Anabolic Member
    find stairs and hills, or just take him on runs with you

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    The hills sound like a good idea. Toss a toy to the bottom and have him bring it back to me at top speed.

G-13 is offline Member
    Dude does your German shepard have an obsessive compulsive disorder? mine does, she is obsessed with balls,tennis balls etc..any way im in my truck driving down the road and this guy on a motorcycle goes buy with a red helmet on, and my dog bites at the guys helmet when we pull up next to him,i grab her and pull her back in the truck and when this guy drives off she is just steadily tracking him and wining jumping all over the place, like when i take her balls from her...crazy ass dog

Quote Originally Posted by G-13
    Dude does your German shepard have an obsessive compulsive disorder? mine does, she is obsessed with balls,tennis balls etc..any way im in my truck driving down the road and this guy on a motorcycle goes buy with a red helmet on, and my dog bites at the guys helmet when we pull up next to him,i grab her and pull her back in the truck and when this guy drives off she is just steadily tracking him and wining jumping all over the place, like when i take her balls from her...crazy ass dog
    my pit it addicted to balls and bouncy chew toys, and trying to eat the water being shot out of a sprinkler.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badcamaro
    That's what I do. 30 minute run around the block a few times. It's like a 13 minute mile. The next day a mile and 3/4 or what ever. Just until I get tired. I know it's bad, but I let him run with out a leash. I go at nights when no one else is around, so it's pretty cool. He stops and pees on things after sniffing, then sprints to catch up. Often passes me for a bit. He's a pretty good looking dog for being 11 or so years old. He was a stray that we took in so, I'm not sure how old he is exactly.
    Here's a pic of my bro and Wu-tang the dog. My brother named him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strength & Conditioning for My Dog-juan-wu-tang.jpg  

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by G-13
    Bear was much more aggressive and liked to scrap with other dogs before we got him fixed (apartment complex required it). I always wonder if he would have been more protective if he hadn't gotten fixed. Now is more of a goofy and playful dog. He loves his toys: balls, small toy tires, pull ropes, etc. He plays with other dogs much better now but seems to drive them crazy because he has so much energy. Old dogs sometimes get irritated by that. Once my girlfriend and I get our own house, we'll probably look into a getting a rottweiler for home security purposes (when my girlfriend is home alone).

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    It sounds like everyone gets their dog plenty of cardiovascular activity. What about strengthening exercises for the neck, etc.?

Thread Information