Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WildCh1ld is offline Banned

Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?

Hey guys I'm looking into getting a new toy since I just paid of my truck. I'm debating over getting a street bike or a quad for the dunes.

My GF is cool with the street bike but is probably going to push more for the quad since it's more family oreinted. Which I'm totally down with because I want my girls to get into riding too.

So does anyone know what the fastest quad is out there right now? Is it the Raptor 700r? Or which is a good choice since the 2006 bikes are coming out?

This is the new Raptor 700r..........Bitchin....

But also Bitchin......Honda's new TRX 250R...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?-06_raptor700_blue_3.jpg   Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?-06_raptor700_white_4.jpg   Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?-trx450r_large_01.jpg  

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    I love the ds650 man!!

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    I say the Raptor, alot more versitile anywhere any season.

Or if you really want to get serious...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?-b00004txm7.16._aa260_sclzzzzzzz_.jpeg  

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    go with a banshee!!! fukin awesome 2 strokes beast!!
    i miss my good ol 87' POS

Captain_test is offline Associate Member
    Banshee's are sick...

Don't get a bullet bike, friend just died on one.....

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    banshees and blasters are two mean two stroke quads. I'm more of a dirtbike guy myself, but sold my cr250 to get my audi. They are all fun though, enjoy the dunes!

kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    streetbike

Quote Originally Posted by SHAOKAHN
    I say the Raptor, alot more versitile anywhere any season.

Or if you really want to get serious...

I'm swinging towards the Raptor too only because of the extra's and power.

Sorry bro I think this one is a little to hardcore for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TRLS63
    go with a banshee!!! fukin awesome 2 strokes beast!!
    i miss my good ol 87' POS

Banshee's are sweet, I got a buddy that runs his on jet ski fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_test
    Banshee's are sick...

Don't get a bullet bike, friend just died on one.....

Ya my girls worried about me getting out of control on a streeybike.

Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    I love the ds650 man!!

I'm lookin into it NMS, It's been a while see I read anything about the Bomber...

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    the Ds 650 looks fvcking good!!!

Quick Q: can you drive quads on the street in the US or only on off road terrain?

BeerBaron is offline Senior Member
    off road only

Definetly offroad bro...

Though I'll admit I'm more into the workhorse ATV and less into the racing quad, but I sure wouldn't mind a wicked nice one like that bon-bon up there (bon-bon is the nickname for Bombardier up here, bonbon means candy in french).

I went on an industrial visit of the plant where Bombardier make Seadoos, SkiDoos and their workhorse ATV's.... can you say "drool a gallon a minute in there"?

This is my ATV:

Yeah, it's pretty utilitarian!

Thats a winch in front with a hitch, another hitch on the back, racks back and front, milk crate in front with an axe, machete, rifle targets, stapler, 4 rifles on the back rack (12ga, .410, Ruger 10/22, Cooey .22 repeater)... and of course an empty protein jug for my boys frog catching (If you're wondering "why the windshield?", it may look dumb, but I guarantee it's awesome when you're hunting in november in 10F weather with snow and sleet)

We went shooting at a sand-pit yesterday and just had to stop in a swamp to catch frogs. I don't think there is anything more fun that catching frogs with yer boy!

Red
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?-red_atv.jpg  

Thats sound like a shit load of fun Red, the only thing is there's not much to shoot at or frogs to catch where I live. I'd be riding mostly near the border of Mexicali in Glamis or baja Mexico, Glamis is known as the sand toy capital of Southern California. Great place to ride and meet chicks, it's like Havasu on sand.

Here's a couple Glamis pics...

On any good holiday, Halloween, New Years, Thanksgiving or President's Day it's a mad house out there.......Anything goes...

It's looking like the BON BON or the RAPTOR.........

Holy crap Wild, that looks AMAZING!!!!!

I'm in deep fir/maple/birch forest so a racing quad would be useless here, trees are packed so tight you can't ride off a trail (old logging trails here).

I really wish I could do some desert riding though I would have kept my Bronco, chopped the top, jacked up the suspention and supercharged the motor!

But now that my kid is finally big enough to ride the ATV on his own, I'll probably hand the honda down to him and will be treating myself to this toy for next summer:

A nice bonbon outlander 400...

Red
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?-bkg_03_medium.jpg  

FCECC2 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WILDCH1LD
    Thats sound like a shit load of fun Red, the only thing is there's not much to shoot at or frogs to catch where I live. I'd be riding mostly near the border of Mexicali in Glamis or baja Mexico, Glamis is known as the sand toy capital of Southern California. Great place to ride and meet chicks, it's like Havasu on sand.

On any good holiday, Halloween, New Years, Thanksgiving or President's Day it's a mad house out there.......Anything goes...

glamis fukin rock!!! i looove the US dune scene!!! im currently in the process of building a long travel 2 seater with CBR929RR engine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Holy crap Wild, that looks AMAZING!!!!!

I'm in deep fir/maple/birch forest so a racing quad would be useless here, trees are packed so tight you can't ride off a trail (old logging trails here).

I really wish I could do some desert riding though I would have kept my Bronco, chopped the top, jacked up the suspention and supercharged the motor!

But now that my kid is finally big enough to ride the ATV on his own, I'll probably hand the honda down to him and will be treating myself to this toy for next summer:

A nice bonbon outlander 400...

Red
    Red that outlander looks like a beast that could take on any tree on it's back...Very nice piece of machinery. I bet your sons going to love the idea he's inheriting a new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by TRLS63
    glamis fukin rock!!! i looove the US dune scene!!! im currently in the process of building a long travel 2 seater with CBR929RR engine!!!

That sounds fvckin crazy......I would totally invest my money into a sand rail
    but the only problem is it's to big to keep where I live right now.
    But fawk as soon as I buy a house I'm getting more toys......

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    Man Those dunes look unbelievable!!!! Sleds, Sea-doos, 4 wheelers.. the Bombi's rock!

Glamis is a must to ride if you live in Southern California, even if you don't have a bike it's all good as long as your with someone that has 4x on there truck to get you to all the hot spots it's fvcken awesome....Here's a picture of my 4x out there on a dune...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Getting a new toy! Street bike or Dirt bike?-glamisdunes01a.jpg  

SinCityMan is offline Junior Member
    Have you ever riden a motorcycle seriously? if you have not a big street bike is not where to start. I have had an XR400, 2001 R6, and 2004 SV1000S all of which were the most fun thing for me to do in the world, however I have known too many people that think they know what they are doing and within a few months they have crashed burned and in some cases died. Be careful in chosing a streetbike they are not a toy to be taken lightly (0-120-0 in less than the time it takes a vette to do the quarter mile).

jasper1968 is offline Associate Member
    I ve been to Glamas many many times...You outhta see it over Thanksgiving weekend, now that is the shit.. Your right it is Havasu on the Sand.. Some serious money shows up in Glamis on TG weekend! I'd go with the Banshee

Quote Originally Posted by WILDCH1LD

BigMatt is offline Junior Member

Your choice

Sorry Matt, I'll take my ATV over that thing any day

I never understood people who get street bikes in Montreal... they are insanely expensive to buy, to license and insure... all that for a 3-4 months riding season. And with the roads here I'd be afraid to kill myself on a pothole the size of a toyota!

Red

Jerzey is offline Member
    I would definitely go street bike, why can't your girls learn to ride a sportbike I have a lot of friends that ride in NY and NJ. I wish I never sold my bike

They are so much more fun IMO if you have nice roads with twisties to ride... yamaha blue is hot, but I love gixxers
    Last edited by Jerzey; 09-06-2005 at 11:13 AM.

gixxer600 is offline Member
    Definatley go crotch rocket! Good times. You WILL eventually go crazy on it though. Its not so much the bikes that are dangerous but the dumbass drivers on the road! Allthough I should warn you about the insurance. Sometimes more than the bike is worth!

Jerzey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer600
    Definatley go crotch rocket! Good times. You WILL eventually go crazy on it though. Its not so much the bikes that are dangerous but the dumbass drivers on the road! Allthough I should warn you about the insurance. Sometimes more than the bike is worth!
    So true, I've lost one too many friends over the past few years.... Although, you do have to learn control which is difficult with that kind of power at your fingertips...

SinCityMan is offline Junior Member
    A lot of times it is also stupid riders out riding their own abilities. Everything cant be blamed on a car just because it is involved in an accident. I have riden for years and been cut off and pushed and whatever, but everytime that has happened i probably have scared the sh*t out of a few drivers that didn't want to hit me. Just be careful know your limits and expect every driver to try and hit you.

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member
    IMO,ATV is so much more fun.

Well, if you drive a street-bike like a maniac, chances are at some point you'll kill yourself... which is fine and dandy with me. No seriously... I don't care, it's your life to do with as you please.

Where I have a problem (and have been a witness to it happening) is when you drive your pocket-rocket like a maniac, lose control and take other people out with you. Thats NOT COOL in my book.

(many years ago, some kid on his rice-rocket plowed out of control into these 2 girls right next to me... the bike was passing slow traffic on the right shoulder (illegal), accelerating all out when this car turned right (legally) into a shops parking lot and clipped the bike. The bike went careening right into these 2 girls at the bus stop. They were in BAD shape. Traumatized the heck out of my boy as he saw it all, AND had to sit in the car while I did my best to save the girls until EMS showed up.

At least with an ATV, the worse that will happed if you drive like a maniac is that you'll hit a tree... (and you'll find out maple or walnut is a LOT stronger than any part of your body or your ATV! you ain't gonna hurt a tree!)

Sorry for the rant, not a fan of street bikes... now gimme a harley on the other hand and I'll putt-putt nice and slow around the country side and will be happy as a pig in shît!

Red

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I had the chance to get a 2004 Honda CBR600RR for $3,000 but I think i blew it, plus i dont think i got the money. only had 650miles on it and is in mint condition lol

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SinCityMan
    A lot of times it is also stupid riders out riding their own abilities. Everything cant be blamed on a car just because it is involved in an accident. I have riden for years and been cut off and pushed and whatever, but everytime that has happened i probably have scared the sh*t out of a few drivers that didn't want to hit me. Just be careful know your limits and expect every driver to try and hit you.
    Agreed...if you've never been on a bike - I say go dirt - teaches you a lot about what you can, or cannot, do on a bike.
    And...you have a lot more "bike" options as far as size and speed for the family members - just in case they get tired of sharing yours.

Jerzey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup

Where I have a problem (and have been a witness to it happening) is when you drive your pocket-rocket like a maniac, lose control and take other people out with you. Thats NOT COOL in my book.

Red
    I agree with you 100%.. pisses me off when people screw off in traffic, etc. If you want to screw around on an open road, etc. be my guest....some people just have no control

I won't like, I love speed, but I never messed around in traffic, etc. I actually sold my bike when I moved to north jersey because I didn't want to ride in that kind of traffic and on those streets. I liked riding in Hunterdon/Warren/Sussex where it's open country roads, not pot holes and bumper to bumper traffic..

Rant on, you have good reason... it takes a few jerks putting others at risk to give sportbike riders a bad name and it's a shame....

Jerzey is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    I had the chance to get a 2004 Honda CBR600RR for $3,000 but I think i blew it, plus i dont think i got the money. only had 650miles on it and is in mint condition lol
    That is a sick price for that bike with 650 miles...

klubhead is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMatt

Your choice

ill take the r1 over a quad \ FOR SURE =)

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    I've had both, well, I had 3 bikes at once for a little while, a 2001 cr125, and 2003 CBR600RR and a 2004 CRF250. Now the street bike is fun but it sucks to ride it year round. I would Iron man it and take it out in the dead of winter with a couple layers of clothes on and you could only last 20-30 minutes till you had to stop. With a dirtbike, or a quad, you can ride year round. In the winter time, they have ice races on frozen lakes where you stud your tires. Snow with a quad is even more fun, I see them ripping down the roads when it snows here.

Also, if you fall on a quad, you might get hurt and brake a lever or something, if you fall on a streetbike, it's alot riskier and alot more $$$$. I looked it up, if I just knocked over my bike, like off it's stand, it would cost about $800 to replace the plastics. One last thing, you don't need insurance on a dirtbike or a quad, unlike a street bike which was costing me $1,300 a year untill I turned 25, then it droped to $380. Just something to think about.

MotoXracer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron

I sold my 2003 CBR600RR with 4,000 miles on it for $6k in June. You should have taken out a cash advance on your credit card for that kind of deal! You never know, motor could have been shot or something. When something is to good to be true, it's usually not.

Quote Originally Posted by SinCityMan
    Have you ever riden a motorcycle seriously? if you have not a big street bike is not where to start. I have had an XR400, 2001 R6, and 2004 SV1000S all of which were the most fun thing for me to do in the world, however I have known too many people that think they know what they are doing and within a few months they have crashed burned and in some cases died. Be careful in chosing a streetbike they are not a toy to be taken lightly (0-120-0 in less than the time it takes a vette to do the quarter mile).

It's been a while since I ride a sportbike Sin, probably about 5 years. I wouldn't get a extreme with the stunts and shit, i've learned my lesson pleanty of times that the older you get the harder it is to heal....

Also if I got a sport bike it would probably be used and I'd shoot more for a cbr600 or something.........

I've been looking at quads for the last few days and there's a new Honda 06 coming out that they say is going to be up with the fastest out there, YFZ450 and Raptor700R.........but I also heard it's going to be impossible to get as soon as they come out because they'll be selling like pancakes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information