Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Annoying problem advice needed

On lectures I CONSTANTLY struggle not to fall asleep. If Im like reading on my own or working with physics problems I have endless energy.

But the moment I sit down on a lecture and start taking notes and listening to the different professors I fall asleep. Even when they talk about stuff that fascinates me. No matter how much I sleep during the night.

This is getting to the point that it seriously hinders my ability to learn. I constantly doze off and then wake up and have to try and catch up on the notes and on the lecture and then I drift away again. No matter how hard I strain agains the sleep I fall asleep and when I manage to stay awake I cant focuse on anything else then staying awake. Its ****ing hopeless.

Does anyone else have this problem? what the hell can I do to get energy? It cant be lack of carbs, it cant be any mineral or vitamin deficiency, like I mentioned earlier it doesnt seem to be because of lack of sleep. Especialy not considering I never get sleepy when I read on my own.

and plz dont suggest ephedra or coffein. My stomach cant handle coffein and I get anxious from it and ephedra screws with my heart so they are out of the picture.

I need to fix this soon god damn it

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    But the moment I sit down on a lecture and start taking notes and listening to the different professors I fall asleep. Even when they talk about stuff that fascinates me. No matter how much I sleep during the night.
    I dunno bro, but I can tell you I have the SAME problem...

I could be in a huge lecture hall, or a tiny classroom with 10 students, the minute the teacher starts to lecture, I am battling to stay awake.

Sorry I can't suggest anything... I still haven't found a way to stay awake. Even ephedra and caffeine doesn't help me, they just mess me up more.

Red

I tried taking ephedra in 2003 first year I was studying and I noticed the same. I fell asleep just as quickly

Glad to know Im not the only one. But damn I need to get this sorted out somehow.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    I have a similar problem, but not with falling asleep. I have a terrible attention span in lectures. I find that I constantly wonder off in my mind and start thinking of other things, personal, work, family, friends, almost anything. I don't think it's because I'm not interested in the subject, because I usually am, and take courses I at least have some interest in. I really don't think I have ADD or anything serious like that, when it comes to things outside of lecture, I can sit and listen for hours and actually remember most of it.

How do you just maintain your attention on the PROF. and what he/she is saying. Thankfully I don't just doze off into sleep, I just start day dreaming like crazy

And Johan, can't think of anything for you're problem. I would have just said caffiene but you say that's out of the question. What about pain? Pinching yourself really hard? Obviously making it discreet so people around you don't think you're crazy. Pulling your hair out on your arms, legs, etc, to cause pain and alertness...not sure if that would work, I've tried it a couple times myself

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    as a licenced doctor (in mexico), it is my medical recommendation that you snort ritalin b4 lecture ED.

glad to se you back terinox has been a long time!!

I have tried the pinching aswell but it doesnt seem to help all that much and I pinch damn hard Odd

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    get there early, and sit in the first row.

chest6 is offline Banned
    It is really bad with me too. I did it in hs...and as expected I still do it now. I have two big classes where the professor just lectures the entire hour and 15 mins and pretty much immediately i will fall asleep. When I wake up periodically I get my bottled water I have and put some into my hand and rub it in my eyes for awhile but it doesnt really work.
    Sometimes I even try to get pumped up (silently of course) like u would before a heavy set, and that it will help for a short while.
    If you find anything that works, let me know, I'm in need too...I need to make good grades

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell
    Definately sit up front. If I have a female teacher, which most are, I try to throw her off with subdued flirtation, kind of keeps a more intense mood in the class, keeps me more focused, and interested. Ginseng perks me up and doesn't get me to jittery. Good luck.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell
    I do the same, still fall asleep. The only thing that has helped so far was the teacher calling me out being asleep in front of everyone..so i got embarrassed and didnt fall asleep the rest of the period.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    dont go to lecture or class...
    problem solved...

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by collar
    dont go to lecture or class...
    problem solved...
    haha i wish man

G-13 is offline Member
    workout before class..

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-13
    workout before class..
    if they did that
    they would defently fall asleep hahaha/...........

doghunter is offline Member
    dip, anyone who has played college football or wrestling will tell u thats how and the reason why they chew dip it works really well it will keep u awake as long as u need

chino777 is offline Junior Member
    But the moment I sit down on a lecture and start taking notes and listening to the different professors I fall asleep. Even when they talk about stuff that fascinates me.
    .. it may sounds strange but the symptoms you described are the same that make hypnosis work. When i was sitting in an auditorium some professor make me feel excatly like you feel. Its mainly a mental issue in combination with a relaxed mental health (slow pulse rate, comfort feeling, etc).
    I read a lot about hypnosis and all i can say is that it is your mind that causes feelings like that.
    That implies that you can change it if you want by training yourself (autosuggestion).
    The easiest way to prevent that feeling would be keeping your heart rate up somehow. (you said you don't want to take coffein or ephedrine so you have to find other ways. Black tea for example (ok, it has coffein in it too but it's meeker to your belly). Autosuggestion can do that too, it would be the "master way")

If i find a good side about hypnosis in english i will post it ...

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chino777
    .. it may sounds strange but the symptoms you described are the same that make hypnosis work. When i was sitting in an auditorium some professor make me feel excatly like you feel. Its mainly a mental issue in combination with a relaxed mental health (slow pulse rate, comfort feeling, etc).
    I read a lot about hypnosis and all i can say is that it is your mind that causes feelings like that.
    That implies that you can change it if you want by training yourself (autosuggestion).
    The easiest way to prevent that feeling would be keeping your heart rate up somehow. (you said you don't want to take coffein or ephedrine so you have to find other ways. Black tea for example (ok, it has coffein in it too but it's meeker to your belly). Autosuggestion can do that too, it would be the "master way")

If i find a good side about hypnosis in english i will post it ...
    No thanks! Last time I did hypnotherapy I woke up and my pants were unzipped!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Well today in class I was either daydreaming or nodding off the entire time. I told this girl next to me I have problems and I always fall asleep and I had her wake me up everytime I started nodding off. That helped a lil bit..but i would still go right back to sleep.

decadbal is offline Banned
    if u werent up on here all night, u could stay awake..duh

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    stand up?

sit in the back, bring a mini disc recorder, fall asleep, record everything listen to it while you drive or something??

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Decadbal
    if u werent up on here all night, u could stay awake..duh
    haha well ya..but my class starts at 11 and Im asleep by 2 so I get plenty of sleep..

bigJJ is offline Member
    Cheque Drops ?

Seriously though, as simple as it sounds, I find that a few deep and deliberate breaths every now and again works well. Working on the theory that you're seated, you're relaxed, you're thinking that you're going to get tired... naturally your breathing will be slowing down and becoming more shallow. The occasional rush of oxygen will help keep your body from thinking that it's sleepy-time.

I learned that from a long haul truck driver. I was complaining that coffee didn't really help me when I felt sleepy. He overheard and said "well hell boy, it's your brain that's falling asleep, not your ass". Crude, but true nonetheless.

thanks for the suggestions. Il defenetly try them all.

I can drink black tea by the gallons without a problem. Same with green tea but green tea does nothing to keep me awake.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    i got the same problem, id say take some sleeping pills at night to get a full night of rest

edmen2 is offline Anabolic Member
    try an eca stack. and this little trick worked for me i would look around the classroom for other people that are fighting to stay awake if u have ever seen this it is some funny $hit and helped me stay awake. especially the droolers.

Quote Originally Posted by diezell
    i got the same problem, id say take some sleeping pills at night to get a full night of rest
    I always get a good night sleep. Or almost always. I used to have sleep problems and was on sleep meds but they make me very drowsy the day after.

Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    try an eca stack. and this little trick worked for me i would look around the classroom for other people that are fighting to stay awake if u have ever seen this it is some funny $hit and helped me stay awake. especially the droolers.
    Unfortunlay eca is out of the question. Its hard on my stomach and I get anxious from it and get alot of heart palpations

Unfortunlay eca is out of the question. Its hard on my stomach and I get anxious from it and get alot of heart palpations [/QUOTE]
    damn that sucks bro eca got me thru nursing school maybe u can try the little trick i tod u about. its hard to sleep when ur laughing at someone drooloing all over the desk especially when its a chick.

Quote Originally Posted by edmen2
    damn that sucks bro eca got me thru nursing school maybe u can try the little trick i tod u about. its hard to sleep when ur laughing at someone drooloing all over the desk especially when its a chick.
    lol Il try. But the courses I take have very few people in them. Like 12 or so and I seem to be the only one sleeping. They are laughing at me

it sounds like ur fooked bro!

yeah the odds seems stacked against me. Maby speed would be the solution

yeah the odds seems stacked against me. Maby speed would be the solution
    ahh what the hell! thats how doctors made it thru med school anyway!

I know this is contrary to most of our diet mantras here, but have you tried munching on sweets during class?

When I fall asleep at work, I'll often have some trail-mix (peanuts, various nuts, dried raisins and chocolate M&M's) and a bottle of coke.

I don't eat and drink it all in one shot, I just munch on it over 1-2 hours... just enough to elevate my sugar levels but not enough to give me a big spike. It seems to help.

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I know this is contrary to most of our diet mantras here, but have you tried munching on sweets during class?

When I fall asleep at work, I'll often have some trail-mix (peanuts, various nuts, dried raisins and chocolate M&M's) and a bottle of coke.

I don't eat and drink it all in one shot, I just munch on it over 1-2 hours... just enough to elevate my sugar levels but not enough to give me a big spike. It seems to help.

Red
    Well I could give it a try. A little fat gain is better than low grades thats for sure. and eating keeps me occupied and keeps me awake I bet. good idea bro

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    I have the same problem too Johan. I find drinking black coffee helps me, but not that much. Can you not drink any of the energy drinks bro? One product i found that helped was BSN "No Explode" Made me feel a little "hyper" though. My sleep/tired issues are from depression.

Well I could give it a try. A little fat gain is better than low grades thats for sure. and eating keeps me occupied and keeps me awake I bet. good idea bro
    I would be curious to test my blood sugar levels during one of those lectures where I constantly fall asleep. I predict my levels are too low. (I think I'll borrow a tester off a diabetic friend and check it out, I got a few lectures coming with the fall session starting)

Red

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    I have the same problem too Johan. I find drinking black coffee helps me, but not that much. Can you not drink any of the energy drinks bro? One product i found that helped was BSN "No Explode" Made me feel a little "hyper" though. My sleep/tired issues are from depression.
    I can drink the energydrinks yeah. But the problem would be cash I recon. I couldnt afford drinking one before each lecture and if I drink one in the morning I get horribly tired when it wears of. But if I find no other solution Il start drinking no sugar red bull like water. Funny that coffe uppsets my stomach and makes me anxious but red bull does not. It cant be strictly the coffein that ****s with me.

Maby guarana pills would be a valid solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I would be curious to test my blood sugar levels during one of those lectures where I constantly fall asleep. I predict my levels are too low. (I think I'll borrow a tester off a diabetic friend and check it out, I got a few lectures coming with the fall session starting)

Red
    Let me know what reading you get. What are you studying btw`??

I doubt however that energy drinks would be that effective since not even very strong ephedra caps helped that much.

Have you ever tried Phenibut powder bro? Heard good stuff about it.

nah never heard of it. Is it some kind of herbal thing? got any link?

Can't show the link bro. But i know ******** sell it. Its under "Mood enhancers"

Not sure if it will help bro but the reviews seem fairly good for our case!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information