Dome is offline Junior Member

Deadlifts WITHOUT a belt????

I have always used a weightlifting belt while doing deads,i put up a Poll on another site and i got alot of replies from people that don't use belts.Whats your view?

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    When I was younger, my h.s football coach made us use a belt with squats and deadlifts...I personally think it did us an injustice. Using a belt weakens the midsection. I only use one on very heavy lifts.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Right on. I'd recommend using a weight belt if you're going to be throwing around a lot of weight. If it's nothing that's going to put undue stress on your lower back, then give it a whirl.

Well at the moment,i'm doing 225lbs for 8 reps at 3 sets and i was thinking about lowing the weight and not using a belt..What weight would you suggest? 100lbs?

broncojosh is offline Senior Member
    all depends on how strong you are. I don't reach for a belt until the 500lb mark. I feel completely comfortable reping without a belt until I get up there. It is a personal thing. If you feel a little unstable, then put it on

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I don't use a belt for anything except on my jeans/shorts. I don't feel that it works that well until you are really throwing up some heavy shit like bronco said.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Hey dome, im just curios as to how long you been hittin the iron?

Mallet is offline Anabolic Member
    I never use a weight belt on Deadlifts, or stiff legged deadlifts...and I do reps with 5 plates a side...Unfortunately the belt interferes with the lift in my case, or I would probably wear it! I do use a belt on heavy squats, other than that I never use a weight belt!

chris245 is offline Junior Member
    i only use it for my really heavy sets of squats and deadlifts,otherwise its a waste of time,imo.
    Last edited by chris245; 05-01-2002 at 04:56 PM.

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    No belt. I need to use straps for heavy weight on deads, but never do I use a belt.

I have a bad back and I don't do stiff legged deads, but I do romanian deads every leg day.
    One today is worth two tomorrows.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by broncojosh
    When I was younger, my h.s football coach made us use a belt with squats and deadlifts...I personally think it did us an injustice. Using a belt weakens the midsection. I only use one on very heavy lifts.

BroncoJ I am with ya on this one. Only on my last set of deads do I even go as far as to use chalk. No straps and no belt. If I am doing a 1 rep max day, then yes but when I only go up to 285 for my max set, no need for any extra pansy stuff.

I may have a bit of fat on my waist but one thing I do have is killer obliques and that is courtesy of squats and deads without a belt.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Mallet
    I never use a weight belt on Deadlifts, or stiff legged deadlifts...and I do reps with 5 plates a side

5 plates a side ??????? REPS !!!!!

<--- faints !!!

All silliness aside, I have only ever seen one person do 5 plates a side and that is some accomplishment. Man would I like to workout with you once and see that in person. I swear I'd get past my 1 rep max of 1 x 385 with that kind of inspiration !

Originally posted by BigMike J
    Hey dome, im just curios as to how long you been hittin the iron?
    10 months.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Tigress, what are romanian deads?

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I stoped wearing and belt and wraps and quite frankly think my abs and tendons are stronger for it. Unless your going for personal best or in comp, i don't see the need. Still use strapes for back work, but that is it.

Originally posted by Babyweight
    Tigress, what are romanian deads?
    A weight thats over 100kgs

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Thanks Dome...

tigress is offline Retired Female Moderator
    Babyw, I posted a link to a great article about rdl's in the women's forum. Romanian deads have different posture than stiff legged deads. The most important difference is the neutral spine position, it is maintained through the entire movement, so the range of movement is smaller. I would type a longer description, but most run off to work.

kingjmack is offline Junior Member
    Never have used a belt for deadlifts. I'm fortunate to have strong lower back muscles. I used to use a belt on squats until my back strength started to increase. I do have to use knee wraps when doing HEAVY squats.

Thread Information