Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Why rebuild new orleans?

I mean what is the ****ing point? Since the climate isnt getting better this disaster will get repeated over and over and rebuilding a city in such a incredibly stupid location is just not a resonable thing to waste billions on

Am I the only one that feels this way?

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Mardi Gras.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfactory
    Mardi Gras.
    what does that mean?

well the fact of the matter is that its peoples home. Im sure youd feel diffrently if you had lived there. I mean also its the 35th biggest city in the US and tourism is big there.

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    what does that mean?
    http://www.mardigras.com/

oldandgrim is offline Associate Member
    I think that it should be rebuilt; however the water defenses and drainage should be considerably up graded. Loads of history in this region.

what does that mean?
    its a big festival and the perfect excuse to get drunk as hell

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatural3456
    well the fact of the matter is that its peoples home. Im sure youd feel diffrently if you had lived there. I mean also its the 35th biggest city in the US and tourism is big there.
    Well to be honest I would not. If I lived in a town that got ****ed majorly by a natural disaster bound to happen again I wouldnt move back for all the money in the world. Why would I risk my life just to live in one specific town?

Its the same with LA and San fran. Everyone knows the big earthquake will come soon but everyone pretends it never will happen.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    if it does get rebuilt its going to take some serious time

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Even if it's rebuilt unless they do some serious engineering the city will be destroyed for sure by the year 2080 or something. It's sinking at a rate of 3ft/century.

Anna Bollick is offline Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker
    Darling, New Orleans is the Best Place to Live in the WORLD! You just can't appreciate it until you have spent a few years here. It is an amazing place and it still amazes me. We will rebuild. It isn't tore up that bad. It is home, and it is so much more to its citizens.

Anna Bollick
    Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker and Proud Yat

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    blame the french!

allsaucedup is offline Member
    there are so many reasons. here are a few
    1. it is a very important port for the gulf coast as and more 10% of north americas oil is refined here
    2. number jobs you eliminate if you just leave it you will put about 1 million people out of work
    3. the history of the city
    these are just a few reasons of the top of my head you cant truly appreciate New Orleans unless you have been there, and if you were lucky enough to experience mardi gras on bourbon street or in the quarter or have been to a sugar bowl there or for jazz fest. between New Orleans and Vegas there are no better party places on earth

mardi gras in NO aren't all that special, I've been and it's really the same everywhere. But the jazz fests/music scene/food is fantastic. I could sit in a jazz bar all night in NO and be happy. But mardi gras is the same no matter where you are, at least that's been my experience.

allsaucedup is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    mardi gras in NO aren't all that special, I've been and it's really the same everywhere. But the jazz fests/music scene/food is fantastic. I could sit in a jazz bar all night in NO and be happy. But mardi gras is the same no matter where you are, at least that's been my experience.
    maybe being on the street catching beads is the same but you have to get into on of the partys or ride a float into the superdome and party there. Plus NO is were mardi gras started

Quote Originally Posted by allsaucedup
    there are so many reasons. here are a few
    1. it is a very important port for the gulf coast as and more 10% of north americas oil is refined here
    2. number jobs you eliminate if you just leave it you will put about 1 million people out of work
    3. the history of the city
    these are just a few reasons of the top of my head you cant truly appreciate New Orleans unless you have been there, and if you were lucky enough to experience mardi gras on bourbon street or in the quarter or have been to a sugar bowl there or for jazz fest. between New Orleans and Vegas there are no better party places on earth
    Maby build up a new city in a safer location? If its sinking at that rate the city is doomed anyway so why waste countless billions now on a city that wont survive more then 80 more years max and that will probably be devestated a few more times...

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    Mardi gras in NO is sick trust me i have been the past 6 years......other reasons to rebuild so the people of new orleans dont come to florida

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    what does that mean?
    out of all ppl
    you should know what mardi gras is lol

RONINASAUNA is offline Associate Member
    rebuild just so they can get the dang refugees out of Texas imo

or its bye bye Texas

SwoleDave is offline Associate Member
    New Orleans is one of the oldest city in the country. It's managed to last this long, so Johan, why do you think it will only last 80 more years?

One disasterous hurricane in 400 years, and all of a sudden it's not worth living there anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleDave
    New Orleans is one of the oldest city in the country. It's managed to last this long, so Johan, why do you think it will only last 80 more years?

One disasterous hurricane in 400 years, and all of a sudden it's not worth living there anymore?
    Since new orleans is under sea level, levies as well as an intricite network of pumps etc keep the city dry. However, these pumps are actually causing the city to sink at a rate of about 3ft per century. Scientists have concluded that by the year 2080 or 2100 or something, new orleans will be too far under sea level for the levies or pumps to be effective and it will be washed off the face of the planet. Unless there is some remarkable changes in the engineering of the city, it is inevitable that it will be destroyed.

SwoleDave is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    Since new orleans is under sea level, levies as well as an intricite network of pumps etc keep the city dry. However, these pumps are actually causing the city to sink at a rate of about 3ft per century. Scientists have concluded that by the year 2080 or 2100 or something, new orleans will be too far under sea level for the levies or pumps to be effective and it will be washed off the face of the planet. Unless there is some remarkable changes in the engineering of the city, it is inevitable that it will be destroyed.
    Those claims are made on some serious assumptions, such as the rate of sinking being constant...

and just fyi, the city is sinking do to the diverted water from the Mississippi River, not the pumps.

Do you really think that an entire city can continue to sink forever with a layer of hard bedrock under it?

They probably said the same thing about Venice. Italy, not California. I think having canals instead of streets would be so romantic! I will fall in love with Mr Right on a gondola ride around St Louis Cathedral, and we will have a lovely home on the Grand Canal and live happily ever after.

Smelling and admiring fresh roses cut just this afternoon
    Anna Bollick
    Juiced Shemale Rescue Hooker

http://www.time.com/time/reports/mis...i/orleans.html
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0121071306.htm
    http://ask.yahoo.com/20041005.html

there's more i just posted the first couple.

Ironically, all the pumps, canals, and levees that work so hard to keep New Orleans above water are actually causing the city to sink at a rate of three feet per century. Some scientists predict that by the year 2100, the "City That Care Forgot" will be under water. Does New Orleans have a deep-sea Mardi Gras in its future? Scuba gear or not, it's interesting to ponder.
    By the year 2100, the city of New Orleans may be extinct, submerged in water. A future akin to the fabled sunken city of Atlantis? Yes, according to Dr. Chip Groat, Director of the United States Geological Survey (USGS) in Washington, D.C., "With the projected rate of subsidence (the natural sinking of land), wetland loss, and sea level rise," he said, "New Orleans will likely be on the verge of extinction by this time next century."
    New Orleans is sinking three feet per century--eight times faster than the worldwide rate of only 0.4 feet per century. Currently, New Orleans, on average, is eight feet below sea level--11 feet in some places.
    The upshot is that New Orleans has been sinking as much as 3 ft. a century. That's bad news for a city that is already an average of 8 ft. below sea level. Making things worse: sea levels worldwide are rising as much as 3 ft. a century on account of global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Bollick
    They probably said the same thing about Venice. Italy, not California. I think having canals instead of streets would be so romantic! I will fall in love with Mr Right on a gondola ride around St Louis Cathedral, and we will have a lovely home on the Grand Canal and live happily ever after.

Anna Bollick
    It is romantic except the canals are filthy and last I was there smelled horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I mean what is the ****ing point? Since the climate isnt getting better this disaster will get repeated over and over and rebuilding a city in such a incredibly stupid location is just not a resonable thing to waste billions on

At first thought I agree with you... but then when you think of all the stupid places we have cities and towns you sort of think of it again...

I mean look at Venice (in the water), Los Angeles (on the fault line), Amsterdam (way under sea level), Hawaii (right on volcanos), Iceland (permanenty frozen AND on volcanos!)... all major accidents waiting to happen!

I think it's probably one of those needs of man to go and colonise the wildest weirdest places "just because it's there"... I mean face it... were it not for that need, who in their right mind would have colonised Canada??? (Where we got 4 seasons... Cold, Dämm Cold, God Dämm Fûcking Cold and July... )

Red

here is a brilliant idea. Lets relocate all of the New Orleans people to Texas and parts of southern california. Then we'll start a new Trail of Tears with all of the wetbacks in Texas and Cali and plop them down in New Orleans in it's current state. They are used to swimming around to get where they need to go, and if they dont want to live there then they can get their illegal asses back on to their own country. Louisianna should be an illegal immigrant wildlife refugee. We'll make 100 billion back in no time if we can get half these god damn foreigners out of here.

God that sounded so redneck, I've lived down south for too long

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bignatt
    other reasons to rebuild so the people of new orleans dont come to florida
    at least your honest

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    I dont think it should be rebuilt, it's so stupid, its like the people who build their houses on the flood plains and when their house washes away they ask why. I meen its ****ing 20 feet below sea level surrounded by water.

Blog Entries
    One of the strongest reasons I agree on not rebuilding the entire city is that it affects MY wallet in the long run, the citizens of the united states are subsidizing these rescue and rebuild efforts whether we know it or not.

The port can be rebuilt with a minimum of money and be functional without rebuilding the entire filthy city.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    Iceland (permanenty frozen AND on volcanos!)... all major accidents waiting to happen!

Red
    I believe that's Greenland, damn tricky vikings.

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    At first thought I agree with you... but then when you think of all the stupid places we have cities and towns you sort of think of it again...

I mean look at Venice (in the water), Los Angeles (on the fault line), Amsterdam (way under sea level), Hawaii (right on volcanos), Iceland (permanenty frozen AND on volcanos!)... all major accidents waiting to happen!

I think it's probably one of those needs of man to go and colonise the wildest weirdest places "just because it's there"... I mean face it... were it not for that need, who in their right mind would have colonised Canada??? (Where we got 4 seasons... Cold, Dämm Cold, God Dämm Fûcking Cold and July... )

Red

I agree, the fact of the matter is, there are KNOWN risks involved in living in these places period.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Bollick

Anna Bollick
    venice will need some serious money and work to survive aswell.

Red
    People are stupid yeah. I could understand iceland though because its a incredibly pretty place. I dont think there is any risk of a big eruption on the island itself?? Not that I have heard of. Not to forget the towns in greece(or is it italy) that is close to volcanoes.
    LA that is just plain stupid. When the big one hits and LA and San fran is gone the world economy will go down the ****ing drain.

I could use the same argument for northern sweden as canada We have the same seasons but july gets ruined by the damn mosquitos

Heracles74 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan

Bro, a while back you could barely make the months rent. what if you lived in a flood district, would you like people saying they just say F it and not rebuild it? That is not cool man. Most of those people can't afford to go anywhere, there is more poverty in New Orleans than most people in the states even realize. That was a dispointing view to hear ... especially from you who got to experience first hand the genorisity of mankind. To have that view is pretty rotten bro. I would think you would have more compassion for those struggling in poverty

Quote Originally Posted by Heracles74
    Bro, a while back you could barely make the months rent. what if you lived in a flood district, would you like people saying they just say F it and not rebuild it? That is not cool man. Most of those people can't afford to go anywhere, there is more poverty in New Orleans than most people in the states even realize. That was a dispointing view to hear ... especially from you who got to experience first hand the genorisity of mankind. To have that view is pretty rotten bro. I would think you would have more compassion for those struggling in poverty
    I should have specified my point a bit more. I dont want all those people to be homeless, but why not build a brand new city in a more safe location. Its the people that make a city not the location. So it could be new new orleans
    that would mean ALOT less suffering in the long run since this disaster is bound to repeate itself and the city cant survive more then 80 years longer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heracles74
    Johan didn't give a view of the struggling poor people at all. He gave a view of rebuilding a city that's sinking. Since none of the poor people live there anymore anyway, I don't see what's wrong with his opinion.

Heracles74 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majorpecs
    Johan didn't give a view of the struggling poor people at all. He gave a view of rebuilding a city that's sinking. Since none of the poor people live there anymore anyway, I don't see what's wrong with his opinion.
    I understand what he was trying to say as well as what you are trying to say. I respect all opinions, my response was an opinion as well. There will styill be poor there, Cities can't be just moved. I just heard on 60 minutes the other night that the US has nearly 40 million people living on coast lines...
    I just don't agree with the view of stupid places cities are. They are where they are. Some have more choices than others, but to say that the government should cross their arms and not rebuild is irresponsible is all. We have a more obligation to help those in need.

BoL0 is offline Junior Member
    Im weighting the options and really haven't come to a decision about it.

But some of the questions i ask myself are:

Was Florida ever considered not to be rebuilt after massive hurricane damages.

Just because a large percentage of the poor would have to relocate doesn't mean they will have a better life elsewhere.

One Massive Storm come through and wipes out many homes and now the city is not worth rebuilding?

Would the question on rebuilding be different if economic conditions in the area were higher?

Can we place a value on these victims heritage, livelyhoods,culture etc.

What about all the jobs that just living on the coast provided, will we be able to give jobs (atleast to the ones that had them)if all citizens do decide to evacuate permenatly?

Like i said, its a hard decision that cant be weighted with just things of monetary value.

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    They should probably bury the city and bring it back up to sea level

Girlfriend, I will get nosebleeds and altitude sickness! I like my city nice and low, thank you very much!

Anna Bollick
    Swamp Queen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information