Beat Down Wrinkles is offline New Member

Funniest Gym Horror Moment

Sure, it sounds like an oxymoron but hear me out. I want to know what the funniest and yet sad or horrific thing you ever saw at the gym was. Mine is a fairly horrifying ordeal that unfortunately I could not stop laughing at. I went to the gym and was doing my normal routine when I just finish up on the incline dumb bell's and my partner taps me on the should and gives a nod to two young gentlemen who were on a chair a little ways down from me. These two gentlemen could not have weighed more than 120 pounds the each of them. They were attempting to do shoulder press with two 85 pound weights, one in each hand. I saw that a couple of people were staring at them but I don't think they wanted to embarass the two guys or themselves (I am sure there are 120 pounders who can do that and it would suck to tell them not to try it and have them shove it in your face.) So no one said anything to them. When I saw the one guy barely lift the one weight with both hands, then release it and ask his friend to place th eother in his hand I calmly said, "Hey bud, you look a little tuckered out and that weight seem ssomewhat unbalanced maybe you should go a little lighter today and not overtrain." He looked at me with a really bizzare twisted face and told me to, "Shut the hell up and mind my own business." So I did. I then watched his friend place the other weight in his hand, as he went down to complete a press, he couldn't control the weight and it came crashing down onto his forehead. Blood went everywhere and he was knocked unconcious for about 8 minutes. An EMT arrived and everything. The sad part of it was that most general onlookers who saw it were in shock and horror but the 7 or so guys who had witnessed the whole ordeal could not stop laughing. I know it sounds sick but I was wondering if there were other people in the world who may have seen suomething similar from people who may be trying to do too much too soon.

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Thats actually pretty gross, bro. People stood around laughing instead of helping the kid? That's kinda disturbing in itself. I've witnessed some stupid shit in the gym before, but if the kid's gushing blood and unconcious then he's learned his mistake the hard way. No flame intended here bro.

As for lifting too much before you're ready, I was working out one night and a kid (yep, one of those 120 pounders) tried to lift 225lbs on decline bench press by himself. I asked him if he needed a spot and he said no. Needless to say, the weight came crashing down and he broke his collar bone and bruised his larynx. (he was fortunate that I have emergency medical training) I finally saw him the other day at the gym after several months. And it appears that he now has learned to ask for help when it's needed.

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    People are stupid! BDW, I would have laughed my ass off right there with you bro. You guys must workout at some weird gyms cuz everybody in mine is friendly. If some fuck (I don't care how big he is) told me to shut up when I'm just trying to help out, I'd fucking kick his face in and made sure that everybody saw it to teach him a lesson. I usually don't say anything to people cuz it ain't none of my business in the first place. Served that goofy bastard right.

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    You must have some pretty big balls Vegas to take on a huge MFer. lol!!

I have seen some people do some funny shit. Just inexperience.

latman49 is offline Member
    The funniest thing I ever saw didn't happen in a gym, it happed on a weight bench on dislay and Champs sporting goods in a mall. A friend of mine(who doesn't even work out) was going to be mr. macho and disregard the sign that said "Do not use this equipment". He jumps on and grabs the bar which probably only had about 150 lbs on it and pumps out a few reps and then trys to rack it. Somehow, he missed the rack and it bent his hand all the way back and shattered his wrist. He let go of the weights and the fell on the floor just barely missing his head. He was screaming and yelling and we had to pretend like we didn't even know him. The manager ran over and started yelling at him for using the weight and he started cussing out the manager and said he was going to sue because they had faulty equipment on display. He had to spend 4 months in a cast. What an idiot!!!

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    bump..this is some entertaining shit

TheGame826 is offline Member
    kid at my school had way to much weight on the bar he was squatting... dropped the bar down to the support bars and smashed his finger in the process. poor kid lost that finger... wasnt funny at all and man was he screaming..

the stupidest thing i did was bout 2 years ago, i was doing lat pullups and i was going to fast and i hit my chin on the bar. and my teeth made that clinging noise, man did it hurt but i laughed it off

G Child is offline Anabolic Member
    Some kind of padded room...wearing some kinda white jacket...can't move...help!
    OMG this chit is just too funny! I'm sorry to say but I would have been too busy laughing my @ss off to help that poor bastard...

Kasushi sakuraba is offline Junior Member
    Wow Those are some weird and stupid stories! You think some of those people would take the advice insted of being all hard ass weight masters eh? I once saw this kid at my school rack the whole bar with 45 lb plates on the squat matchine he had his two freinds hold all the weight on insted of using the clamps. The weight went down and didn't come up for like 2 minutes. The time it took his freinds to take every plate of one at a time! My teacher laughed his ass of at the jerk. Then yelled at him when he was done for being so dumb! 2 plates probaly would have been to much for him but he was trying to look cool. Lmao

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    Heavy deads - love 'em or hate 'em lots of us do them anyway.

Here I am in the gym on day, finished warming up and Im going to start with a measly 120. As I finish this guy comes over and asks to join in - Well deads are no race to get the next set in so I says sure.

His form is bad - I mean really f*ucking bad so I says to him about it and hes all indignant and says its always been fine before and I should drop it!

Anyway we keep adding plates and everytime he lifts the bar I whince cos his back is badly rounded, hes looking at the floor, twisting his neck etc etc.

We get to 245 and I say to him that he really doesnt want to lift this with bad form or hes in trouble (hes been struggling for the last few lifts anyway) but he ignores me and gives me that "f*uck you" look and gets on with it.

Hes halfway up when I hear the crack - Hell everyone heard the crack! He pitches forwards still holding the bar, which throws him teeth first into the floor and there he lays, over the bar, screaming through broken teeth.

First reaction took over and I made sure he stayed still and stuff, and I knew someone had run to get the ambulance guys. He was carted out about 5 mins later, still screaming. I found out later that he had crushed 2 vertibra in his lower back, smashed 4 teeth out of the gums at the front, shattered 2 back teeth and dislocated a vertibra in his neck.

He was lucky he didnt kill himself when the bar dragged him into the floor. Oh yeah - it was the first time he had ever done a deadlift!

Now that is one stupid guy!

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    This one time...at band camp...

Why does nobody do anything stupid at my gym? I'm there 5 days a week, and I never see any of this shit. Some of it I would not want to. . .I woulda loved being at champs sports when that happened tho.

Keep em coming guys...Maybe I will see something funny tomorrow, but I doubt it.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    About two years ago I saw a guy do the "big dumbells to impress his gal" thing. She is sitting there all smiley and googly-eyed watching him pump out his reps on his shoulder presses.

55's for 10, then 65's for 8 and then.....jumps it up to 130's ????? WTF ?

Well needless to say, he couldn't even get up one and the poor bastard broke his wrist as he couldn't control the weight as it came crashing down to the floor. Oh yeah, where did it smash into before the gym pad ? On his girlypoo's right big toe and broke it.

Paramedics came, blood from her, and you could see the bone broken in his arm and trying to break the skin. That was GROSS.

I'm with you PaPa, nothing too exciting happens at the gym. I'm waiting too see somebody fall on the treadmill but it never happens.
    Small gym=common sense
    Last edited by Vegas Kid; 05-02-2002 at 11:23 AM.

Wow

After reading some of those stories, I think my guy got off light. I am no Gym guru or anything. Hell, most of the time all I do is ask fo radvice from the people on this web site. But at least I know enough not to be stupid about it. Especially considering the consequences for people who decide to tempt their fates with the "lifting God's". Almost all of these stories are pretty horrifying, I do think the one I would liek to see the most so far was the guy who fucked around with the weight set at thet department store. You just gotta love people like that. Vegas Kid reminded me of the lady I saw fall on the treadmill, that was pretty funny, I wish he could have seen it with me. I am just pretty happy to know that I am not the only one with stupid people at their Gym. I used to go to a World's Gym way back when and I never saw anything weird there but when I moved the only Gym in proxmity to me was this "California Fitness" place and man, it is a veritable cournicopia of mayhem sometimes with the people in there. Everyday I hear soap operas of the people there hooking up, see men doing weights they shouldn't be doing (Case in point being the guy who puts about 365 on the bench bar and then piles 5 towels on his chest. Lifts the weight, DROPS it on his chest, racks it and then sits up. Repeat 5X) women falling off treadmills, employees asking you everyday if you have any friends who would like a "free 2 week membership" for trial purposes. Then the same jackass will ask you the same question the next day. If it wasn't 40 minutes to the next gym I would be out of there in a heart beat. But at any rate, if any of you guys are ever in Columbus and you need some free entertainment as you are passign through, my gym is the place to go for non-stop shenanigans and dipshit tomfoolery.
    Keep 'em coming fellas, some of your stories are making my gym almost seem normal.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    these guys have to learn...you have to check the ego at the door.

the deserve what they get. IMO.

shonuff is offline Associate Member
    da funniest thing i have seen is one guy who was on da treadmill and he would speed up really fast like he was sprinting and then slow down to a jog and keep doin this, well while he was doin this he thought he was da coolest guy in da world,when he was slow jogging he would pretend he was boxin,he had just got threw liftin and he thought he was swole cause he would try and flex in da mirror whata idiot, anywayz he starts to speed up and he gets to his max speed and then trips while hes fallin he trys to grab the handles on da treadmill but he went down to fast hit the treadmill it spit him out on da floor and he trys to pop up real fast like nothin happened everyone who saw it laughed there butts off...if he had stayed on da ground for a few seconds i wouldnt have laughed cause he could have hurt himself but since he poped up we knew he was ok...whata idiot.
    Last edited by shonuff; 05-02-2002 at 08:28 AM.

Mrs. T is offline Female Member
    One night a guy in my gym was doing bench presses with 360 and he had his back arched so much that I thought it might snap. As I walked by, I asked if he needed a spot and he blew me off (women can't spot), then I said, be careful with your back and he blew me off (what do women know). So I went on. Just as I got to the other end of the room, he dropped the bar on his chest, dumped the weights all over everything and let out a yell. He had torn his rotator cuff really bad and was out of the gym for about 6 months. The VERY SAME NIGHT, I was teaching a taekwondo sparring class, and one of my students, who is over 45, was trying to kick his taller partner in the head. I said, "We just started class, man. You should wait till your muscles are warmer before you try to kick that high." He rolled his eyes at me, so I turned to walk away. Just as I finished my turn, he kicked again and fell on the floor and broke his collar bone. Later that night, a friend who works in the ER called and told me to quit beating up all my clients - they had enough business for the night!
    Mrs. T
    "We can change the world when we change ourselves. And the energy of our consciousness, like the energy of all light, continues into the eternity. When there is light in the soul there will be beauty in the person. When there is beauty in the person there will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home there will order in the nation. When there is order in the nation there will be peace in the world."
    - Chinese Proverb

Geesh.

You sound like a dangerous woman to know! Remind me to run for cover whenever you turn your back on someone near me.

Mrs. T is offline Female Member
    I SWEAR, I was FRAMED!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mrs. T
    "We can change the world when we change ourselves. And the energy of our consciousness, like the energy of all light, continues into the eternity. When there is light in the soul there will be beauty in the person. When there is beauty in the person there will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home there will order in the nation. When there is order in the nation there will be peace in the world."
    - Chinese Proverb

Butch is offline Anabolic Member
    KAZ, the is the funniest story I have heard. What a dumbass. How the hell did you not fall next to him laughing your ass off. What a f*cking moron.

These are all great stories please keep them going. I wish I had some to contribute. However, I will leave that up top the rest of you all.

Shonuff, you reminded me of something. There's this guy who puts the treadmill on full blast and then sprints for 15 secs and jumps to the side to rest. Then he goes back on and repeats the same shit over and over again. I don't know what the hell he is trying to accomplish, but being somebody who ran x-country and track in HS, the track is where you should be doing sprint training, not the treadmill. If he didn't put all his weight on the arm rests he would fall for sure. When he falls, I'll be there laughing at his stupid ass.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    This one was a long time ago (college days, ancient history!):

A guy was doing bench presses, too much weight for him. His arm goes out and the plates spill off one side. His buddy runs over to grab the heavy side and just as he gets there, the plates on that side spill off (no weight ot balance it) and they drop on his toe. Bloody mess!

Thread Information