Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Papi93 is offline AR VET

Learning Spanish.

I'm trying to learn spanish. I've already graduated from college so I'd rather learn through book, cd, etc. or by speaking it with others. I started with the Complete Idiot's Guide to Spanish. It really helped me with learning the proper pronuciation (spelling is off). It was taking too long so a Mexican co-worker said that I should learn as many key phrases as possible. After that, go back and study the book. What do you guys think?

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    best thing you could do is find a spanish speaker and just ask them if they'll converse with you. this person will need lots of patience, and a desire to teach, but you'll learn so much faster than from a book or cd. best of luck!

MoneyAddyct is offline Member
    Try to immerse yourself in the language as much as possible. I went to Spain on vacation and I'll probably go again for study abroad. It's helped tremendously. (I'm a Spanish minor.)

Youngbuckk is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    best thing you could do is find a spanish speaker and just ask them if they'll converse with you. this person will need lots of patience, and a desire to teach, but you'll learn so much faster than from a book or cd. best of luck!
    I agree totally with symatech, when i was a freshmen in high school I took a couple of spanish classes, but being that i was in norfolk virgina and knowbody speaks spanish fluintly, I forgot most of it after the classes was over. Then for my Senior year, I moved to south texas with my dad(the population is like 89% hispanic), and to be honest with ya I learned faster and better trying to comunicate with the locals, also my fathers new wife was also mexican and did not know a word of English.
    Last edited by Youngbuckk; 09-15-2005 at 07:45 PM.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngbuckk
    I agree totally with symatech, when i was a freshmen in high school I took a couple of spanish classes, but being that i was in norfolk virgina, after the class was over I forgot it compleatly, Then for my Senior year, I moved to south texas with my dad(the population is like 89% hispanic), and to be honest with ya I learned faster and better trying to comunicate with the locals, also my fathers new wife was also mexican and did not know a word of English.
    I've had a similar experience. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school. I've learned more Spanish working with my Mexican co-worker.
    You're dad must have been pretty good at speaking spanish.

Youngbuckk is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by striker93
    I've had a similar experience. I took 2 years of Spanish in high school. I've learned more Spanish working with my Mexican co-worker.
    You're dad must have been pretty good at speaking spanish.
    ya, he is mexican too, i wish he would have tought it too me when i was younger, because i had a hell of a time learing it, still dont really know it. I can understand it, but cant speak it all that great.

cb25 is offline Banned
    lol, i'm in a similar predicament. i know quite a bit, but have a problem using it in conversation. i especially have a hard time hearing it. i can speak it, and read/write better than i can hear it.

anyways, i'm really focusing on learning it now -- took a few years in HS, but now i have spanish speaking patients that i'm trying to treat, plus my gf is mexican (she's american, her parents were born in Mexico) -- so i've got them as resources as well.

if you need any help...let me know. or if you find anything that's really useful/helpful, i'd appreciate you passing it on.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    To all of AR's spanish speakers, "Podrias ayudarme por favor?". Muchas gracias!

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    piense de una pelicua que te gusta mucho, y estas muy familiar con.. luego compralo en dvd, y pon lo en espanol con letras de engles.. si sirve, haslo con otras peliculas.

(translation)

think of a movie that you really like, and are very familiar with.. then buy it on dvd, and put it on spanish subtitles with english captions.. if it works, do it with more movies.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazwell
    piense de una pelicua que te gusta mucho, y estas muy familiar con.. luego compralo en dvd, y pon lo en espanol con letras de engles.. si sirve, haslo con otras peliculas.

(translation)

think of a movie that you really like, and are very familiar with.. then buy it on dvd, and put it on spanish subtitles with english captions.. if it works, do it with more movies.
    I know I should be responding in Spanish but I'm not that far yet . Thank you for the spanish lesson. A Mexican woman, at work, and I trade phrases. I give her a english phrase that she has to learn and she does the opposite with me. Today I learned: ?Por que no trabajas en medicina deportiva, que es tu profession?.

chest6 is offline Banned
    i aint helpin you! damn i have been out of spanish and havent spoke it in 3 years

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    hola pendejo chihuaha taco bella un taco y burritos por favor chica chico gringo taco

Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    hola pendejo chihuaha taco bella un taco y burritos por favor chica chico gringo taco
    biblioteca!

dirtyvegas is offline Senior Member
    Date a fine ass spanish woman bro,,thats what i did to learn a bit, and im still learning .

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    biblioteca!
    ?Como se dice biblioteca, en ingles?

?Como se dice biblioteca, en ingles?
    library

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    library
    Lo siento, Senor Tazwell.

chest6 is offline Banned
    you better be sorry

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    library

LOL....

I grew up on the outskirts of the hispanic ghetto area of my city.... so I sorta ended up knowing alittle spanish just from some of my friends growing up..... but when I took spanish in school, it sucked, cause all my friends and their families speak alotta spanish slang, so it wasnt the same and even though I already knew some spanish, I got yelled at by the teacher for not speaking correctly...

And my friends would laugh at me for speakin spanish the way I was taught in class.... they said no one talks like that...

So you if you find someone who helps you on your spanish, make sure they help you understand slang and such...

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    This is a great idea that i did. Also, try it with Telemundo. The soap operas are good because they speak slowly and clearly. . . .and the chicks are really hot which helps.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    This is a great idea that i did. Also, try it with Telemundo. The soap operas are good because they speak slowly and clearly. . . .and the chicks are really hot which helps.
    yea man, it's all about the Novelas!

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I would like to ask the Mexican woman these questions, next week:

Do you have another job?
    What do you like to do when you're not working?

Could someone translate these for me, please?

cb25 is offline Banned
    I would like to ask the Mexican woman these questions, next week:

Do you have another job?
    What do you like to do when you're not working?

Could someone translate these for me, please?
    ?Tienes una otra trabaja? (i'm not sure on this one)
    ?Que le gusta hacer cuando no estas trabajando?

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by cb25
    Did you have any assistance with these sentences? If not, you're way past my level of Spanish. Thanks for your help. There is a Puerto Rican woman working in the other building. I'll ask her what she thinks about the first translation and I'll let you know.
    Last edited by striker93; 09-17-2005 at 03:19 PM.

chest6 is offline Banned
    looks corrent from over here

cb25 is offline Banned
    Did you have any assistance with these sentences? If not, you're way past my level of Spanish. Thanks for your help. There is a Puerto Rican woman working in the other building. I'll ask her what she thinks about the first translation and I'll let you know.
    nah, no help, that's just me. i'm pretty good with basic stuff...it's when i get into conversations that i get lost.

i was looking through one of my spanish books the other day...did you know that english has 6 tenses of verbs, while Spanish has 14! freaking 14!! i don't even understand all of them.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    looks corrent from over here
    Yeah, I checked it out with the Puerto Rican woman she said that it was fine.

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    i took 3 years of spanish in high school and somehow don't know a word of spanish. i didn't then either but somehow i passed with a d- all 3 years.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    i would enroll in some spanish night classes at a local community college. there's pretty much no way you're going to learn much from a book unless you already speak many languages fluently.

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by punchrf
    i took 3 years of spanish in high school and somehow don't know a word of spanish. i didn't then either but somehow i passed with a d- all 3 years.
    lol...i took 4 years, had like a 99% every year...and yet still somehow couldn't speak a lick.

it wasn't until i started going down to mexico that i was able to actually use it. and i'm far from fluent...but i can get by. sometimes you just have to immerse yourself to be successful.

cb25 is offline Banned
    FYI...there are some good audio books on Limewire for download to help with it. pretty basic, but has some good reminders for my level...would be great for someone starting out.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I can listen and understand all I want but when it comes time to speak..Im no good

cb25 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I can listen and understand all I want but when it comes time to speak..Im no good
    i'm the exact opposite...i can talk myself blue in the freaking face. but i can't hear it to understand it a bit. very frustrating.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    I spoke with the Puerto Rican woman again and she said that "?Tienes otro trabajo?" would be a better statement.

cb25 is offline Banned
    I spoke with the Puerto Rican woman again and she said that "?Tienes otro trabajo?" would be a better statement.
    sonofab*tch. i knew that.

it's the little mistakes that really piss me off.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Me no hablo espanol

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    A Mexican woman keeps complaining she needs to gain weight. I would like to her she looks fine. How would I say this in Spanish:

You do not need to gain weight, you look fine.

Papi93 is offline AR VET
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuns101
    Me no hablo espanol
    Yo hablo un poco de espanol.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    My mom is fluent in Spanish. She is a college Spanish professor. I pretty much learned from her. I didn't learn any Spanish in school.

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    If you really need all these translations, just go here. This will help.

www.freetranslation.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information