Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member

If you live in Galveston TX... You might want read this....

This time people have no excuse... There are buses everywhere to take people out. If you stay you are a moron.
    Good luck to TX!

Hurricane RITA Public Advisory

WTNT33 KNHC 220008
    TCPAT3
    BULLETIN
    HURRICANE RITA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 17A...CORRECTED
    NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
    7 PM CDT WED SEP 21 2005

CORRECTED PRESSURE CONVERSION TO 26.52 INCHES

...CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE RITA CONTINUING TO DEEPEN...
    ...NOW THE THIRD MOST INTENSE HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN
    ON RECORD...

A HURRICANE WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR GULF OF MEXICO COAST FROM PORT
    MANSFIELD TEXAS TO CAMERON LOUISIANA.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR EAST OF CAMERON TO GRAND
    ISLE LOUISIANA AND FROM SOUTH OF PORT MANSFIELD TO BROWNSVILLE.

THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO HAS ISSUED A TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR THE
    NORTHEAST COAST OF MEXICO FROM RIO SAN FERNANDO NORTHWARD.

A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE
    WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS. A TROPICAL STORM
    WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE
    WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

INTERESTS IN THE NORTHWESTERN GULF OF MEXICO SHOULD MONITOR THE
    PROGRESS OF DANGEROUS HURRICANE RITA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE
    INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED
    BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 7 PM CDT...0000Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE RITA WAS LOCATED NEAR
    LATITUDE 24.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 86.8 WEST OR ABOUT 580 MILES
    EAST-SOUTHEAST OF GALVESTON TEXAS AND ABOUT 680 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST
    OF CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS.

RITA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 13 MPH AND THIS MOTION IS
    EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 165 MPH...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. RITA
    IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE ON THE
    SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE LIKELY
    DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES FROM THE
    CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 175
    MILES.

THE PRESSURE HAS BEEN FALLING RAPIDLY DURING THE DAY AND THE LATEST
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE RECENTLY REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE RESERVE
    UNIT RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT WAS 898 MB...26.52 INCHES. THIS MAKES
    RITA THE THIRD MOST INTENSE HURRICANE IN TERMS OF PRESSURE IN THE
    ATLANTIC BASIN.

TIDES ARE CURRENTLY RUNNING NEAR NORMAL ALONG THE MISSISSIPPI AND
    LOUISIANA COASTS IN THE AREAS AFFECTED BY KATRINA. TIDES IN THOSE
    AREAS WILL INCREASE UP TO 3 TO 4 FEET OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS WITH
    LARGE WAVES ON TOP AND RESIDENTS THERE COULD EXPERIENCE FLOODING.

REPEATING THE 7 PM CDT POSITION...24.5 N... 86.8 W. MOVEMENT
    TOWARD...WEST NEAR 13 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH.
    MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...898 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER
    AT 10 PM CDT.

FORECASTER STEWART

This is one big ass bitch on her way.........

$$
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you live in Galveston TX... You might want read this....-isese.jpg  

Rita Unleashes Category 5 Fury Over Gulf

By PAM EASTON
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, September 21, 2005; 8:15 PM

GALVESTON, Texas -- Gaining strength with frightening speed, Hurricane Rita swirled toward the Gulf Coast a Category 5, 165-mph monster Wednesday as more than 1.3 million people in Texas and Louisiana were sent packing on orders from authorities who learned a bitter lesson from Katrina.

"It's scary. It's really scary," Shalonda Dunn said as she and her 5- and 9-year-old daughters waited to board a bus arranged by emergency authorities in Galveston. "I'm glad we've got the opportunity to leave. ... You never know what can happen."

With Rita projected to hit Texas by Saturday, Gov. Rick Perry urged residents along the state's entire coast to begin evacuating. And New Orleans braced for the possibility that the storm could swamp the misery-stricken city all over again.

Galveston, low-lying parts of Corpus Christi and Houston, and mostly emptied-out New Orleans were under mandatory evacuation orders as Rita sideswiped the Florida Keys and began drawing energy with terrifying efficiency from the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Between 2 a.m. and 4 p.m., it went from a 115-mph Category 2 to a 165-mph Category 5.

Forecasters said Rita could be the most intense hurricane on record ever to hit Texas, and easily one of the most powerful ever to plow into the U.S. mainland. Category 5 is the highest on the scale, and only three Category 5 hurricanes are known to have hit the U.S. mainland _ most recently, Andrew, which smashed South Florida in 1992.

Government officials eager to show they had learned their lessons from the sluggish response to Katrina sent in hundreds of buses to evacuate the poor, moved out hospital and nursing home patients, dispatched truckloads of water, ice and ready-made meals, and put rescue and medical teams on standby. An Army general in Texas was told to be ready to assume control of a military task force in Rita's wake.

"We hope and pray that Hurricane Rita will not be a devastating storm, but we got to be ready for the worst," President Bush said in Washington.

By late afternoon, Rita was centered more than 700 miles southeast of Corpus Christi. Forecasters predicted it would come ashore along the central Texas coast between Galveston and Corpus Christi.

But with its breathtaking size _ tropical storm-force winds extending 350 miles across _ practically the entire western end of the U.S. Gulf Coast was in peril, and even a slight rightward turn could prove devastating to the fractured levees protecting New Orleans.

In the Galveston-Houston-Corpus Christi area, about 1.3 million people were under orders to get out, in addition to 20,000 or more along with the Louisiana coast. Special attention was given to hospitals and nursing homes, three weeks after scores of sick and elderly patients in the New Orleans area drowned in Katrina's floodwaters or died in the stifling heat while waiting to be rescued.

Military personnel in South Texas started moving north, too. Schools, businesses and universities were also shut down.

Galveston was a virtual ghost town by mid-afternoon Wednesday. In neighborhoods throughout the island city, the few people left were packing the last of their valuables and getting ready to head north.

Helicopters, ambulances and buses were used to evacuate 200 patients from Galveston's only hospital. And at the Edgewater Retirement Community, a six-story building near the city's seawall, 200 elderly residents were not given a choice.

"They either go with a family member or they go with us, but this building is not safe sitting on the seawall with a major hurricane coming," said David Hastings, executive director. "I have had several say, `I don't want to go,' and I said, `I'm sorry, you're going.'"

Galveston, a city of 58,000 on a coastal island 8 feet above sea level, was the site of one of the deadliest natural disasters in U.S. history: an unnamed hurricane in 1900 that killed between 6,000 and 12,000 people and practically wiped the city off the map.

The last major hurricane to strike the Houston area was Category-3 Alicia in 1983. It flooded downtown Houston, spawned 22 tornadoes and left 21 people dead.

In Houston, the state's largest city and home to the highest concentration of Katrina refugees, the area's geography makes evacuation particularly tricky. While many hurricane-prone cities are right on the coast, Houston is 60 miles inland, so a coastal suburban area of 2 million people must evacuate through a metropolitan area of 4 million people where the freeways are often clogged under the best of circumstances.

Mayor Bill White urged residents to look out for more than themselves.

"There will not be enough government vehicles to go and evacuate everybody in every area," he said. "We need neighbor caring for neighbor."

At the Galveston Community Center, where 1,500 evacuees had been put on school buses to points inland, another lesson from Katrina was put into practice: To overcome the reluctance of people to evacuate without their pets, they were allowed to bring them along in crates.

"It was quite a sight," Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas said. "We were able to put people on with their dog crates, their cat crates, their shopping carts. It went very well."

But Thomas warned late Wednesday that the city was nearly out of buses. She said those left on the island will have to find a way off or face riding out a storm that is "big enough to destroy part of the island, if not a great part of the county."

City Manager Steve LeBlanc said the storm surge could reach 50 feet. Galveston is protected by a seawall that is only 17 feet tall.

Rita approached as the death toll from Katrina passed the 1,000 mark _ to 1,036 _ in five Gulf Coast states. The body count in Louisiana alone was put at 799, most found in the receding floodwaters of New Orleans.

The Army Corps of Engineers raced to fortify the city's patched-up levees for fear the additional rain could swamp the walls and flood the city all over again. The Corps said New Orleans' levees can only handle up to 6 inches of rain and a storm surge of 10 to 12 feet.

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin estimated only 400 to 500 people remained in the vulnerable east bank areas of the city. They, too, were ordered to evacuate. But only a few people lined up for the evacuation buses provided. Most of the people still in the city were believed to have their own cars.

"I don't think I can stay for another storm," said Keith Price, a nurse at New Orleans' University Hospital who stayed through Katrina and had to wade to safety through chest-deep water. "Until you are actually in that water, you really don't know how frightening it is."

Rita also forced some Katrina refugees to flee a hurricane for the second time in 3 1/2 weeks. More than 1,000 refugees who had been living in the civic center in Lake Charles, near the Texas state line, were being bused to shelters farther north.

"We all have to go along with the system right now, until things get better," said Ralph Russell of the New Orleans suburb of Harvey. "I just hope it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing."

Crude oil prices rose again on fears that Rita would smash into key oil installations in Texas and the gulf. Hundreds of workers were evacuated from offshore oil rigs. Texas, the heart of U.S. crude production, accounts for 25 percent of the nation's total oil output.

Rita is the 17th named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, making this the fourth-busiest season since record-keeping started in 1851. The record is 21 tropical storms in 1933. The hurricane season is not over until Nov. 30.

___

Associated Press Writers Lynn Brezosky in Corpus Christi, Alicia Caldwell in Galveston and Juan A. Lozano in Houston contributed to this report.

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    its looking pretty bad.. my parents have already left corpus... I hope everyone is safe and gets out in time

chest6 is offline Banned
    What the hell? 2 Catagory 5's within 2 states within 2 weeks? What are the odds?

longhorn814 is offline Anabolic Member
    it will weaken a little as it get closer to land b/c it wont have the deep warm water to fuel it. Still get out of the way!!

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by longhorn814
    it will weaken a little as it get closer to land b/c it wont have the deep warm water to fuel it. Still get out of the way!!
    well ya..but not much itll prolly still be a 3 or 4

and still have a storm surge of around 30 feet!! One way or another, Im not gonna be around!

PaRiS2005 is offline Female Member
    I'm just waiting for my parents to get home!!

im going to the bar tonight!!!!!!!

TUnit is offline Associate Member
    have you guys heard anything about houston needing to evacuate? i live just like 15 miles north of houston around conroe. how far inland is this going to be?

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    If you live in Galveston come to Misery I mean Missouri and I'll let you stay with me in my basement

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Support The DrudgeReport; Visit Our Advertisers

165 MPH!... CAT 5... TRACK... COMPUTER MODS... ADVISORY... SATELLITE... LOOP... HOUSTON EVACUATIONS... BUSH: WE HAVE TO BE READY...

Quote Originally Posted by TUnit
    have you guys heard anything about houston needing to evacuate? i live just like 15 miles north of houston around conroe. how far inland is this going to be?
    no nothing about evacuations around the Conroe area. If I cant make my flight out friday morning, I'll be staying up there

HOUSTON (Reuters) - Houston Mayor Bill White on Wednesday called for residents in low-lying, flood-prone areas of the city to evacuate beginning on Thursday in anticipation of Hurricane Rita, which is approaching across the Gulf of Mexico.

Emergency officials said evacuation in those areas would mean as many as 1 million people may attempt to leave.

The hurricane is expected to make landfall in the Galveston area, just to the southeast of Houston, the scene of America's worst hurricane disaster in 1900, when at least 8,000 people died.

"Hurricane Rita on its present course poses a risk to Houston and the whole Houston region," White told reporters.

"We are asking all residents in the greater Houston area that are in the storm surge area for a hurricane of this force and above to begin making their evacuation plans," he said.

Rita is now a Category 4 hurricane and the U.S. Hurricane Centre said it could become Category 5, the maximum, as it crosses the Gulf.

White called for residents in low-lying areas on the east side of Houston to leave the city on Thursday. He said schools should close on Thursday and Friday and employers should give their workers those two days off.

If Rita makes landfall where expected it could cause significant flooding in areas up to 35 miles inland when the anticipated storm surge rushes through Galveston Bay and along the Houston Ship Channel, emergency officials said.

White urged those who did not have the means to evacuate themselves to arrange with friends or neighbours to get out. He said if that was not possible, people should contact emergency numbers to get help from the authorities.

But he warned: "There will not be enough government vehicles to go and evacuate people in all the areas."

HOV lanes appear to be moving faster than the rest of the roads so if your coming up 45 south get off at downtown and take Louisiana St to the 45N HOV lane, might save u a little time

CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    This will end up being the biggest storm ever!!!!!!!!!

YOu aint kiddin.. check out these pics

Quote Originally Posted by CRUISECONTROL
    This will end up being the biggest storm ever!!!!!!!!!

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/...t_loop-12.html

Wow........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If you live in Galveston TX... You might want read this....-20.jpg   If you live in Galveston TX... You might want read this....-storm-pic.jpg  

Tazwell is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TUnit
    it is a voluntary evacuation, unless you have to pay flood insurance.. if you have to pay flood insurance that means you're in one of the areas that has to evacuate..

decadbal is offline Banned
    god be with all the ppl this phuckin thing is gonna effect

TUnit is offline Associate Member
    oh well i aint worried at all, im just worried about a tree blowing over on my house. we are surrounded by old tall trees! im gona be sitting in my garage drinking beer and checking out the winds since there will be nothing else to do. there is absolutely nothing left around here except beer...funny i thought that would go first

Thread Information