Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    smokethedays's Avatar
    smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In The Kitchen :)
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    1

    Chemistry Problem, Help!!

    Ok i have this Chem. problem it sound easy but for some reason i can't get it, it says:
    A flask holds a total of 402.5 Grams of water at 293.4 K. What is the volume of the flask?!
    P.S. using the Ideal gas law PV=nRT would result in a big unrealistic #.
    if you gonna try to convert the 402.5 Grams to moles then here is the molar mass for the water 18.02 g/mol.
    thanx in advace

  2. #2
    Keyser Sozey is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    2,847
    LOL...I couldn't do that for you now if I tried....Fvkkin Horny Goat Weed.
    Anyway, just postin' cause it's your thread.
    <--How I look right now

  3. #3
    smokethedays's Avatar
    smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In The Kitchen :)
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sozey
    LOL...I couldn't do that for you now if I tried....Fvkkin Horny Goat Weed.
    Anyway, just postin' cause it's your thread.
    <--How I look right now
    lucky ass bastard

  4. #4
    kloter1's Avatar
    kloter1 is offline Southern Steel Bodybuilding
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bubba Army
    Posts
    5,821
    a+b=c duh!

  5. #5
    symatech's Avatar
    symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    not where I want to be
    Posts
    7,546
    1g is by definition the amount that 1 cubic centimeter of water weighs. your flask is 402.5mL

    EDIT: curiously, why were you using the ideal gas law for liquid water?
    Last edited by symatech; 10-04-2005 at 11:57 PM. Reason: i can't spell

  6. #6
    smokethedays's Avatar
    smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In The Kitchen :)
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    1g is by definition the amount that 1 cubic centimeter of water weighs. your flask is 402.5mL

    EDIT: curiously, why were you using the ideal gas law for liquid water?
    oh shit i'm so dump

  7. #7
    smokethedays's Avatar
    smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In The Kitchen :)
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    1g is by definition the amount that 1 cubic centimeter of water weighs. your flask is 402.5mL

    EDIT: curiously, why were you using the ideal gas law for liquid water?
    is that conversion possible?!

  8. #8
    Billy_Bathgate's Avatar
    Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    4,463
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    1g is by definition the amount that 1 cubic centimeter of water weighs. your flask is 402.5mL

    EDIT: curiously, why were you using the ideal gas law for liquid water?

    actually no, at ~20C not 4C so its 0.9982g/ml

    so it would be 401.8ml

    small, but enough to get the problem wrong

  9. #9
    symatech's Avatar
    symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    not where I want to be
    Posts
    7,546
    I stand corrected

  10. #10
    IronReload04's Avatar
    IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    5,640
    Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays
    Ok i have this Chem. problem it sound easy but for some reason i can't get it, it says:
    A flask holds a total of 402.5 Grams of water at 293.4 K. What is the volume of the flask?!
    P.S. using the Ideal gas law PV=nRT would result in a big unrealistic #.
    if you gonna try to convert the 402.5 Grams to moles then here is the molar mass for the water 18.02 g/mol.
    thanx in advace
    is it an online assignment? if it is, i can assure you it is satan himself in disguise of chemistry. fucking bastards

  11. #11
    decadbal's Avatar
    decadbal is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North Charlotte
    Posts
    11,924
    yea, what syma said

  12. #12
    Billy_Bathgate's Avatar
    Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    4,463
    Quote Originally Posted by symatech
    I stand corrected
    ya its like..just a small amount, but i would have to think since he gave you a temp that it must be the point of the problem

    thats actualy why water is so special, its density is highest at 4C where as most liquids density increases with temp decrease to a solid max

    thats why ice floats

    good thing or we would have like frozen oceans and shit and it would be a mess

  13. #13
    smokethedays's Avatar
    smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In The Kitchen :)
    Posts
    4,548
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    actually no, at ~20C not 4C so its 0.9982g/ml

    so it would be 401.8ml

    small, but enough to get the problem wrong
    you got it right, u gotta use the Water's Density which is the # you gave at the Equation:
    D=M/V

  14. #14
    symatech's Avatar
    symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    not where I want to be
    Posts
    7,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate
    ya its like..just a small amount, but i would have to think since he gave you a temp that it must be the point of the problem

    thats actualy why water is so special, its density is highest at 4C where as most liquids density increases with temp decrease to a solid max

    thats why ice floats

    good thing or we would have like frozen oceans and shit and it would be a mess
    it had crossed my mind that I was probably off a bit b/c he had listed a temp, but to be perfectly honest, I wasn't about to look up nor did I recall waters density at a given temp. I like to round things sometimes. But water is cool like that, gotta love the H-bonds and whatnot.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •