EmptyWallet is offline Junior Member

Is it really bad to drink while taking antibiotics?

Ok, last night while working on my case for my computer, I drilled a nice size whole in my finger thanks to my own laziness of not wanting to drill a pilot hole. So, I went to the emergency room and they fixed it all up and gave me what I think is a pretty strong antibiotic, Cypro, to take. Its 500mg strength and I take it twice a day. I don't think its the same thing they give the Anthrax people as that is spelled Cipro? I dunno. Problem is, this weekend is my good friends wedding and at the reception I'm planning on getting completely trashed. I NEVER drink except for special occasions and Ive prolly only been shit faced twice in the past two years. This weekend I plan on getting really plastered since all of my old buddies will be there. Only problem is I'm not sure how well that will go over with this antibiotic I'm taking. Of course I would not be making a habit of this at all, I hardly ever drink. What I'm looking for here is would drinking while taking the antibiotics produce any bad effects. Its only going to be this one time. Anyone have any input?

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Call and ask your physician. Then you'll know for sure!

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    CAN I DRINK ALCOHOL WHEN ON AN ANTIBIOTIC?
    Alcohol is a drug and in combination with other drugs including antibiotics, can cause an interaction with undesirable results. Ask your clinician about your specific medication, but in general, you should avoid combining alcohol with any medication.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Avoid at all cost. A friend of a friend ignored those guidlines and the antibiotics reacted with the alcohol and his liver shut down.Fortunately he made to the hospital in time. I'm sure it depends on the antibiotics but damn. Better sober than sorry.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Be very careful as Pheedno said....Also, If I'm not mistaken...that the antibiotics won't work at all while drinking. Your just wasting them and your body will not recouperate (?sp)

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Meds and booze don't mix too well , was on demerole for my foot when it was broken and decided to go on benders.. well i only lasted until about 8pm... was bad mix

Beefeater is offline New Member
    cant recomend it ,,, ive done it and ended up completely bonkers ..... starkraving mad and couldnt remember anything

peacem beef

ripped4fsu is offline Anabolic Member
    it's not a good idea to drink on ANY meds...

BimBamBoom is offline Associate Member
    ^^^^^^^^This is about a year old...^^^^^^^

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Fuck, throw caution to the wind buddy. Drink and be merry, and as we say here in Ireland "Fuck the begrudgers".
    I've drank on all sorts of meds and it never caused me any harm yet, but then I'm Irish

Enjoy the wedding, now go and get trashed.

Thread Information