Cycleon is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired

Anyone else play chess???

just wanting to know who enjoys the game of kings - anyone got a rating? - any masters here?

I used ot be a good A player when I played in tournaments - quite some time ago - my guess is that I could get to about Jr Master in a few months if I worked on it, maybe top out at master level - I have beaten a masters and one GM before in speed chess. - favorite game is 3/0 minutes.

Anyone know some other good places online besides yahoo?

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    I love chess, used to play a few years ago. I was never a chess master though...LOL

Peace

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I play for fun but I'm not bad. I've studied the game a lot and I know a little about the game. I hate yahoo, people always quit 1 move before I put them in mate. I get so pissed.

latman49 is offline Member
    Originally posted by RON
    I play for fun but I'm not bad. I've studied the game a lot and I know a little about the game. I hate yahoo, people always quit 1 move before I put them in mate. I get so pissed.
    I hate when they do that!!! People do that on Yahoo pool too. If you are playing a time game, they request a cancel so the clock runs out while you answer the request. I used to have an advanced rating but got tired of playing, haven't played in several months.

By the way, CYCLEON, it took me 3 weeks to figure out your avatar, but I finally recognized the Balrog's shadow. It's the bridge of Khazad-Dum in Moria. Have you read the LOTR books? If not, I highly recommend them, they are awesome!!!!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Have played for fun but never anything serious. Would like to get into it again once BigGunz and I are together permanently.

Kaz
    Kaz is offline Member
    I was an area champ when I was in school, but since I have not played really at all since then I doubt that I would beat a 10 yr old now!

Mind you, its the playing I enjoy - The winning is secondary.

Hmmm - Good observation on the balrog shadow. LOTR is my fave read of all time closely followed by Dune. Both excellent but on slightly different levels.

DC24 is offline Junior Member
    Just played for fun, nothing to serious.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I used to play with my father up to about age 15. Switched to cards.
    Wouldn't mind picking it up again

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I played a hell of alot in jail.But i would not go near the game again.....

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I play on the World Chess Network.

http://www.worldchessnetwork.com/

I'm pretty good... but nowhere near master.

If someone would like a game... let me know.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    I am the same as pheedno. Use to play with my pops when I was younger, before I found out what women and partying was. Have only played a few times in last ten years. Definitely wish I had the time to pick it up again. The mental challenge of chess is entirely different than any other game in my opinion!

I need to email diesel. He had on his list that us "southern boys" weren't of the intellectual level to pertake in a good game of chess! lol

peace,

ttgb

Mrs. T is offline Female Member
    I used to play tournaments in high school, but that was a thousand years ago. I've never played on line. My husband won't play me because he can't beat me. Not a brag - he's not that good (shhh).
    Mrs. T
    "We can change the world when we change ourselves. And the energy of our consciousness, like the energy of all light, continues into the eternity. When there is light in the soul there will be beauty in the person. When there is beauty in the person there will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home there will order in the nation. When there is order in the nation there will be peace in the world."
    - Chinese Proverb

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Besides yahoo, another place you can try is www.zone.com, i think it's part of MS. But it's an okay place to play. I used to play there b4. But I would think that the site arthur999 gave is prbbly much better, cause it seems like it's only made for chess.

Originally posted by latman49

By the way, CYCLEON, it took me 3 weeks to figure out your avatar, but I finally recognized the Balrog's shadow. It's the bridge of Khazad-Dum in Moria. Have you read the LOTR books? If not, I highly recommend them, they are awesome!!!!
    You are the first person who has said they recognise it - I thought it would be more obvios, considering my signature

I dont think I would be much effort for a master right now - I would have to get the books out and polish up on my openings I was state champion in jr high school one year and second the next but I am pretty sure i would suck at a tourney right now.

Nice thing about NYC is that there are some killer chess players here! Guy I used to play with, used to be the prime enemy of bobby fisher - I have also gotten to spend a little time with Kasparov's coach!! - I was desperately trying to arrange a game - Look Garry!!! Watch out behind you!! (as I take his queen off the board) - hmm............ maybe with a queen odds I could......... - nahhhhh, maybe.

KunipshunFit is offline Lounge Lizard
    Hey, I play Chess, around 1200 rating, Have not played in awhile....My roomate is 1350 and use to go to many many tournaments.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Love to play Chess, but it's hard to find anybody to play with--Thais dont' like any recreation that requires a lot of mental effort--they like to relax when they relax!

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Like Chess, but no master. I perfer not to play speed chess, my brain doesn't work that fast.

Great Chess movies: Knight moves, Searching for Bobby Fisher

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEON
    You are the first person who has said they recognise it - I thought it would be more obvios, considering my signature

I dont think I would be much effort for a master right now - I would have to get the books out and polish up on my openings I was state champion in jr high school one year and second the next but I am pretty sure i would suck at a tourney right now.

Nice thing about NYC is that there are some killer chess players here! Guy I used to play with, used to be the prime enemy of bobby fisher - I have also gotten to spend a little time with Kasparov's coach!! - I was desperately trying to arrange a game - Look Garry!!! Watch out behind you!! (as I take his queen off the board) - hmm............ maybe with a queen odds I could......... - nahhhhh, maybe.
    Hey cycleon ,
    My bestfriends little brother is the youngest person to ever be deemed a Chessmaster......maybe youve heard of him........... heres a link http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=959 and I thought i was a pretty good chess player untill I met this kid..........Says he can see about 25 moves ahead

That is a scary kid! beat an IM at 10 yo! I could beat masters if I just polished up a bit but an GM or an IM I dont think so

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Now we know who where the cool kids in high school and who werent

I used to play chess.

yes, I was state champion in jr high - I was definitely probably thought of as a bookish type untill I discovered lifting and wrestling later in high school

yes, I was state champion in jr high - I was definitely probably thought of as a bookish type untill I discovered lifting and wrestling later in high school
    I see a chess competition of all the AR members in the making.......sign me up

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Haven't played in a looong time but I do love the game. My grandfather taught me the game when I was a kid and I've read a few books...............I think I could hold my own against you CYC............but I've never played timed games. When I say I can hold my own it means you'll not get the queens gambit past me but it doesn't mean I'll win.

Im fond of kings gambit but it is very hard against master level players - but exciting for sure - those who think they are good enough can always challenge me on yahoo

and timed games make a big difference - especially short games - very hard to think both well and fast

Im fond of kings gambit but it is very hard against master level players - but exciting for sure - those who think they are good enough can always challenge me on yahoo

and timed games make a big difference - especially short games - very hard to think both well and fast
    ok cool whats your screen name?

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    man there have been some old threads dug up here lately!! I wonder what happened to some of the bros that posted on this thread a long time ago??? a lot of names I hadn't seen around in a llloooonnnnggg time!

oh yeah...regarding chess...let me know how that site works out...and when one of you is ready for an ass-whooping!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mass junkie
    ok cool whats your screen name?
    check your PMs and Im on advanced blitz area now - so come on you wuss

check your PMs and Im on advanced blitz area now - so come on you wuss
    oh your lucky I didnt see this untill just now.................dont think I wussed out.......ill be looking for you

Thread Information