*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

Thumbs down **Rant: The 'Bro' phenomenom

Before i start...i should state, the use of 'everyone' in this instant is a gross-exagerration. i.e. it does not include every single member. I state this for the simple reason that...if i don't, i perceive a ton of fire descending on this thread. That being said:

I've come accross a startling trend over these boards.

It's characterised by over-zealous misrepresentation of a member's physique...by another member.

This anomoly is most apparent in the member's pic forum. Whereas, a member posts his pic...and asks for an honest critique. To follow up...NO ONE offers said critique.

Everyone says... "ripped and shredded" when's he obviously not... "huge" when he's obviously not.. "thick" when he's obviously not.

Why?

Is everyone afraid of hurting anyone else's feelings?

Is honesty over-rated?

Is everyone insecure? Whereas, they're hoping that if they comment positive...in return hoping they themselves'll get the same reception when they post THEIR pics?

Can anyone honestly tell me?

How can someone progress without an honest critique?

Would YOU want someone telling you look like hercules when you actually look like bill gates minus the money?

Personally i find it partronising.

This thread: "the straw that broke the camel's back":

http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sh...ad.php?t=199835

I'm not condoning flaming...but ass-kissing for the sake of it is out!

If i post pics, it's for the express purpose of getting suggestions; questions; critiques etc. ..accepting compliments as they come...or don't.

Why do YOU post pics? What's the point? If you want someone to kiss your ass... as your mum how you look. You'll always be perfect in mum's eyes.

I post pics cus i want to improve.

What about gear use?

Why's gear-use now a pre-requisite: a hugedom precipitate?

What happened to 'eating' and 'training' and 'resting'?

It's like now the advice is..."hm you look good, i think you should run 500 mg of test."

"Your chick left you? Run 500 mg of test"

"Wow bro that sucks... Run 500 mg of test"

Where did it start?

How do we end it?

Do we WANT to end it?

/end rant

~Narkissos

C_Bino is offline $BAM-7246~AR-Hall of Famer
    Yo is that u in ur avatar? You look thich and shredded bro. LOL jus kidding man. I know what u mean, I hear it too much as well and I think its kinda stupid so I stopped posting in the picture forum unless somethin funny comes up. Good post.

-Bino

GotMilk? is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    This thread: "the straw that broke the camel's back":

http://forums.anabolicreview.com/sh...ad.php?t=199835

LMAO LOLOLOL SAD BUT TRUE....I see the HUGE people on the board here get the same responses as the AVERAGE people. When I first saw that thread in the picture I was thinking AVERAGE ... NOT to be mean but its kinda pointless posting up pictures when everyones going to tell you that you look good !!! when you obviously dont ... I was bigger than that guy when I was 17 ... b4 I even started juicing...let alone him taking GH !!! ROFL !!!

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    I thought this was ANOTHER thread bashing the use of the word bro ... glad its not

As for the pic comments, I don't post there, because I don't want to put anyone down even if they look like sh!t, so I generally don't post there at all. I always said the happiest people look like fat/skinny fvcks but THINK they look great, bastards

Oh, and I couldn't agree more on the juice use subject...

"No really, I've been training long, for the past year, xcept spring break, but I really hit it hard last month"

SMYL_GR8 is offline Senior Member
    I think most people are afraid to constructively criticize b/c the response will be "Who are YOU to tell me, where are YOUR pics?!" I do see this trend, but even in that thread you referred to, there were a few trying to tell hem some truth. It's always a mix. There's a thin line between being supportive and being a YES-MAN.

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I agree.............. There are ways to critique someone without hurting thier feelings. But this is where the problem starts a lot of the guys don't know how to be tactful while critiquing a person.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    welcome to spending too much time on the boards,

your starting to see posting pattern's , and the best was to cope with this is to run 500mg of test! bro

ok-u-got-me is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsDeity
    welcome to spending too much time on the boards,

your starting to see posting pattern's , and the best was to cope with this is to run 500mg of test! bro
    I agree 100% +14 weeks

Puffader is offline Senior Member
    Turn me loose. I've been nice. I'll speak my mind.

Yo Nark (Not sure if I like that name) "Got Slin"

BTW, You need some Nolvadex . ha!

How's that?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    That thread is laughs.

Dude is NO WHERE NEAR ready for exogenous substances.

Eat/lift/sleep.........you're lacking a solidified base. Gotta have the car before you paint it.

There, honest flame-free advice.

My custom title says it all.

~SC~

CRUISECONTROL is offline Post Whore Extraordinaire Cruising On Autopilot
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    That thread is laughs.

Eat/lift/sleep.........you're lacking a solidified base. Gotta have the car before you paint it.

~SC~
    Yep that about sums it up

Smak is offline AR's Midget Beater
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    That thread is laughs.

~SC~
    LOL. Very true. It really irritates me when I see guys do this without even acquiring a solid base to begin with. A basic workout routine with compound lifts with a good diet and some cardio would do this man far better then hopping on the HGH wagon. Even a simple test cycle, but HGH no fukin way!!!

decadbal is offline Banned
    i always lie.. its like when all the hot girls have left the bar, and you have to flirt with the semi ugly ones, bc no one wants to go home alone.. same thing here, any one of those guys could end up the next cutler.. so u have to be nice, plus, they look like shiit already, no reason for them to cry about hearing it

Why do YOU post pics? What's the point? If you want someone to kiss your ass...

Some people just post them to show people what they look like. People (MassJunkie, specifically) has been asking me for awhile what I look like (body-wise), so I posted a training pic:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=151787

I mean...some people just do it so everyone knows who their talking to, sorta...put a body with the advice, I guess (for credibility). In the BB4L mod forum, I recently posted a face pic from my modeling shoot, just so the mods that I've been working with for the last 2 years have a face to go with the "voice" I guess...

Think about how many people give advice thats questionable, and we don't even know what they look like (or it's worked for them)....

But I agree, the "bro" thing, and "Im nice ergo I give good advice/am respected" is a bit over the top...I think I've never used the word "bro" in a post or "lol"...

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    lookin thick bro keep it up

Pinkvelvet is offline Female Member
    Nark....I think you need a hug!

Last edited by Pinkvelvet; 10-14-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMYL_GR8
    I think most people are afraid to constructively criticize b/c the response will be "Who are YOU to tell me, where are YOUR pics?!" I do see this trend, but even in that thread you referred to, there were a few trying to tell hem some truth. It's always a mix. There's a thin line between being supportive and being a YES-MAN.
    Agreed...

People do that in all of the forums though, not just the pics forum...like...someone will give AAS advice, and then someone else will say "hey man....if you know so much, post pics..." or something like that...

Just because you give good advice doens't mean you take it...my doctor tells me not to smoke, but he's a smoker, etc...

It's still good advice....

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    nark, you think to much. did you think this up sitting on the toilet?

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Dude, nark, this is an awesome post! I have been thinking this for a while, but jsut havent posted it. I posted my pics over ehre a couple months ago and very few critiques critiques, eventhough i asked for them. Hell, I didnt even get that many "your huge" comments (not that i wanted them) but i am jsut saying there are guys going on ppl's pic threads who post pics of a "beginners physique". I am not saying i look great or anythign at all, but i mean, i cant even get a coupel critiques (you gave me soem nark and i appreciate it) I jsut want to get better, and know what i need to work on to compete successfully eventually. I think it is like soemone else on this thread, that many of the people here are not at a level to be able to accurately "critique" soemone's physique other than from the level of your "above average" person.

Unoid is offline Member
    Didn't I tell ya'll the use of the word Bro has become a mental disorder!!

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoid
    Didn't I tell ya'll the use of the word Bro has become a mental disorder!!

call me bro.

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    Try to remember: It's not just where you are now, but where you started from, that matters. I think some guys, like SwoleCat, do take a guy's genetic starting point into consideration when offering critique, maybe due to being a trainer himself.

Some posters may not look impressive compared to SOME other guys' physiques, but if you were starting from string-bean or lard-butt, these posts do show a remarkable transformation.

The Jay Cutlers of the world already know they're huge; they don't need you or me to tell them.

BigLittleTim

spound is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLittleTim
    Try to remember: It's not just where you are now, but where you started from, that matters. I think some guys, like SwoleCat, do take a guy's genetic starting point into consideration when offering critique, maybe due to being a trainer himself.

Some posters may not look impressive compared to SOME other guys' physiques, but if you were starting from string-bean or lard-butt, these posts do show a remarkable transformation.

The Jay Cutlers of the world already know they're huge; they don't need you or me to tell them.

BigLittleTim

Yea, but just because they are 6 feet tall and started out at 120lbs and are now at 165 doesnt mean they did the right thing by taking juice, even if they have gained 45 lbs.

decadbal is offline Banned
    racist.. he is making a racist thread

BigLittleTim
    Great Point. This is why I trust guys like JuicyR6, over the 260lb monsters on the net, for training advice (*hypertrophy). Juicy gained 100(!) pounds from training over the last four years. Is he the biggest guy on the net? Hardly. But I can't name anyone else who's had the same gains as him.

BigLittleTim
    while i respect all opinions that've been voiced (even Deca 's)...I think some perspective was lost.

What was my point?

well, in the context of the thread i highlighted:

The guy has two previous cycles under his belt... 4 years ago he was 129 lbs. He's only been training 2 years. Only been consistent for 6 months. During this time he gained 25 lbs...didn't say if naturally or not.During the 6 months...he hopped on gear. Now he's using more gear than someone twice his size...AND he's giving gear advice.

This sort of shit makes my blood boil.

Quote Originally Posted by hooker
    Some people just post them to show people what they look like. People (MassJunkie, specifically) has been asking me for awhile what I look like (body-wise), so I posted a training pic:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread.php?t=151787

I mean...some people just do it so everyone knows who their talking to, sorta...put a body with the advice, I guess (for credibility). In the BB4L mod forum, I recently posted a face pic from my modeling shoot, just so the mods that I've been working with for the last 2 years have a face to go with the "voice" I guess...

Think about how many people give advice thats questionable, and we don't even know what they look like (or it's worked for them)....

But I agree, the "bro" thing, and "Im nice ergo I give good advice/am respected" is a bit over the top...I think I've never used the word "bro" in a post or "lol"...

Understood...and agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Puffader
    Turn me loose. I've been nice. I'll speak my mind.

Yo Nark (Not sure if I like that name) "Got Slin"

BTW, You need some Nolvadex . ha!

How's that?
    lmao! Thanks man

mass junkie is offline banned
    I got me an honorable mention

BigLittleTim is offline Senior Member
    The guy has two previous cycles under his belt... 4 years ago he was 129 lbs. He's only been training 2 years. Only been consistent for 6 months. During this time he gained 25 lbs...didn't say if naturally or not.During the 6 months...he hopped on gear. Now he's using more gear than someone twice his size...AND he's giving gear advice.

Well, yes, you're right.

It is a bit embarassing when someone posts their pics and you can't tell which are the 'before' and which are the 'after' shots.

Even if he was huge, his giving shitty advice should make your blood boil...even if he were ...an Smod/Mod/Vet, and not just a regular member, shitty advice is shitty advice, and it should offend you regardless.

chest6 is offline Banned
    i posted in his thread in the members pics....the reason i havent posted in there is because i didnt wanna be like oh you are huge..and i didnt feel like getting on him cuz he'll do what he'll do

Thread Information