Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Now this would be a uncomfterable scenario

This site is pretty fascinating. Deals with the proability of a new ice age within like 10-20 years and the author makes a pretty good case for it. So if anyone else besides me has a morbid fascination for end of the world scenarios read on

http://www.iceagenow.com

decadbal is offline Banned
    yes. no. maybe

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    No don't want to see it happen in my life time.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    i know that the earth goes through a natural ice age every 10,000 years and its been happening for millions of years, the last ice age we had was 10,000 years ago> right now the earth is supposed to be cooling when in fact its getting warmer and warmer. I heard this all on the Discovery Channel and now nobody knows what the long term effects of this will be, and many scientists concluded this will be catastophic; while other scientists say this is a natural occurence.
    Last edited by USfighterFC; 10-17-2005 at 01:31 PM.

the dude on the site goes against everyone and saying the earth is cooling now and he has alot of evidence to back up what he says. So Im not so sure that earth is acctualy warming now as the global warming fanatics are claming left and right.

The earths glaciers seems to be acctualy growing!

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    the dude on the site goes against everyone and saying the earth is cooling now and he has alot of evidence to back up what he says. So Im not so sure that earth is acctualy warming now as the global warming fanatics are claming left and right.

The earths glaciers seems to be acctualy growing!

I dont understand where he says the glaciers are growing when its a proven fact that they actually DISAPPEARING at an alarming rate.......maybe a handful are actually pressing forward but so what? I dont think it means that the earth is cooling significantly and the glaciers are advancing at some geometric rate. The Earth's oceanic temperature has risen 1 degree in 50 years and the average air temperature has raised 2 degrees in the last 100 years. Where he gets his facts from, I dont have a clue but I will tell you one thing, he's selling books and making millions by peeking interests in people like ourselves, whereas I am sitting here doing nothing.

decadbal is offline Banned
    yea i saw a statistic somewhere of how the average temps now are about the same as they were 100 years ago.. no increase

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    I dont understand where he says the glaciers are growing when its a proven fact that they actually DISAPPEARING at an alarming rate.......maybe a handful are actually pressing forward but so what? I dont think it means that the earth is cooling significantly and the glaciers are advancing at some geometric rate. The Earth's oceanic temperature has risen 1 degree in 50 years and the average air temperature has raised 2 degrees in the last 100 years. Where he gets his facts from, I dont have a clue but I will tell you one thing, he's selling books and making millions by peeking interests in people like ourselves, whereas I am sitting here doing nothing.

read this section on the site
    http://www.iceagenow.com/Growing_Glaciers.htm

Im not saying I buy into all hes saying but I dont belive in the global warming one bit and I think most of the global warming news are twisted to hell and back. A new ice age seems alot more logical considering that every peak in sea temperature is always followed by a quick and dramatic drop and we are at suck a peak now, the largest peak recorded. I hope its not true though. But a interesting scenario.

someday when I have more time like after the examns I will try and verify his claims on geological sites ect. Some of them should be easy to check like growing ammounts of ice on antartica and growing glaciers in norway and greenland.

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    There is always some idiot claiming the sky is falling or its going to fall soon. When these ppl walked around with signs on their necks saying the world is coming to an end we called them kooks. Now they all have their own website.

lol well the thing with most of the doomsday scenarios isnt if they are gonna happen but when. We all know the big quake will hit california, we all know yellowstone is the place for a future MASSIVE vulcano eruption that can cause nuclera winter, we all know a meteorite or comet will hit the earth and iceages surely comes in very regular intervalls and the time is now. I guess we can just hope it wont happen during the coming 2-300 years or so.

RA
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    lol well the thing with most of the doomsday scenarios isnt if they are gonna happen but when. We all know the big quake will hit california, we all know yellowstone is the place for a future MASSIVE vulcano eruption that can cause nuclera winter, we all know a meteorite or comet will hit the earth and iceages surely comes in very regular intervalls and the time is now. I guess we can just hope it wont happen during the coming 2-300 years or so.

Yes, something could happen but the problem is that scientists really dont know when. 5 years, 500 years, 5000 years, who knows? We havent been recording the climate long enough to make accurate predictions. People dig up samples then draw a conclusion which may be wrong. Sometimes it makes for interesting reading or even a movie but I've never put much stock in it.

yeah that is a good point. But Il rather se the world prepared and not taken by suprise. WHEN the big disaster happens we need to be prepared no matter if it is a ice age, meteorite, vulcano or quake. Just look at what happend from the tsunami or the new orleans hurricane and that is just miniscules childsplay compared to what might happen tomorrow(or in a 100 years).

RA
    It would be nice but take a meteorite for example. We are only watching 10% of the sky so if one was to hit, we wouldnt see it until we were being cooked.

even if we did se it coming we would have no way at all to stop it. But if it isnt to big we could be prepared for the effects. If its not a planet killer "just" a large muther****er that will alter the climate for a decade or so we could limit the damage done if we are prepared.
    Offcourse the place that gets hit straight on is toast no matter what

what would be scary is if a medium size meteorite like the tunguska meteorite where to hit a city or close to a city in a country with nuclear weapons. The risk would be to big that they would think of it as a attack.

mtman42 is offline Junior Member
    i hope the ice age comes in the next few wks that way i can ski ne where

BARLOW is offline Senior Member
    the volcanoe in yellowstone is predicted to errupt in 5-8 years ><

Thread Information