Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DirtyDog7 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    i cut down to 2500mg per serving now and all seems good. i'm only doing it 4 times a day, as it seems that's about the max i can tolerate right now without it bothering my stomach. funny, i can eat like a garbage disposal and never get more than gas, but all it took was a little too much vit c to send me screaming to the toilet like a little girl having her first period.

I'm the same way. I never have any problems with anything.

I realized, two hour ago, that I forgot to take my C so I went ahead and took the 5 grams again. No gas this time. Maybe my body finally got use to it.

I wouldn't of minded the gas so much if it just would of smelled like Vitamin C

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    i cut down to 2500mg per serving now and all seems good. i'm only doing it 4 times a day, as it seems that's about the max i can tolerate right now without it bothering my stomach. funny, i can eat like a garbage disposal and never get more than gas, but all it took was a little too much vit c to send me screaming to the toilet like a little girl having her first period.
    be glad thats a sign of you not having much free radicals in the body when you get dihareea is because ascorbic acid is reaching the digestive track intact.

Thats why its possible to go uppwards to 100 grams when sick. So many free radicals that no C makes it through.

Ok, I had to drop my dose down. Too many problems at 5 grams X 3 times a day.

try tp spread it out. the dosage is no problem its the big ammounts in each serving that is causing the dihareea.

MinkyGirl is offline Female Member
    I talked to my mom about doing this, but would it be okay for her to use calcium ascorbate instead of sodium ascorbate? Or does it have to be that particular form of Vit. C to work? She's the poster woman of osteoperosis...in her 60's, Chinese, and lactose intolerant. She's already lost about a half in over the last decade or so. She was 5'2" when I was in junior high, now she's 5'1-1/2".
    Last edited by MinkyGirl; 05-03-2006 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MinkyGirl
    I talked to my mom about doing this, but would it be okay for her to use calcium ascorbate instead of sodium ascorbate? Or does it have to be that particular form of Vit. C to work? She's the poster woman of osteoperosis...in her 60's, Chinese, and lactose intolerant. She's already lost about a half in over the last decade or so. She was 5'2" when I was in junior high, now she's 5'1-1/2".
    Well I guess it could work. I am carefull about using to much calcium in combination with vitamin c because of what is written here(Dr Tom Levy that has written that is the number one vit c expert in the world)
    http://www.tomlevymd.com/archiveissue9.htm

Read it through

Calcium ascorbate is currently a very popular form of vitamin C supplementation. In addition to being directly labeled as calcium ascorbate, this form of vitamin C is also marketed as an "ester" form of vitamin C or a "buffered" form of vitamin C. Much of the popularity of this form of vitamin C comes from the fact that many people are looking for extra sources of calcium on a daily basis in addition to taking their vitamin C. With some minor variability, these products typically deliver approximately 100 mg of calcium for every 800 to 900 mg of ascorbate given. Also, the 100 mg or so of calcium with each gram of product usually has a very high degree of absorption when compared to other common forms of calcium supplementation, such as calcium chloride or calcium bicarbonate (Tsugawa et al., 1999).

However, the calcium-delivering properties of calcium ascorbate are precisely the best reasons for avoiding this product. Although it appears from the early work of Weston A. Price, D.D.S. that acutely raising the ionic calcium levels in the blood can greatly improve the acute phases of healing in damaged tissues, this does not address what the long-term consequences of calcium administration may entail. In fact, it appears that the bulk of the scientific data supports the concept that the vast majority of the older population is massively overdosed on calcium and legitimately suffering from calcium toxicity. We continue to be stressed with warnings of increased risk of osteoporosis while the data clearly shows that most deaths in patients with osteoporosis relate to the vascular system and not the bones (Kruger and Horrobin, 1997). Furthermore, excess calcium in the coronary arteries, one marker of long-term calcium overdosage, is also directly correlated to increased risk of heart attack (Raggi et al., 2003), increased incidence of chronic degenerative disease (Arad et al., 2001; Christian et al., 2003; Kiryu et al., 2003; Wong et al., 2003), and increased degree of overall "all-cause mortality" (Shaw et al., 2003).

So, if you are a older chronic calcium supplement taker, just be aware that there are negatives to this practice. The chance of dying from an osteoporotic fracture doesn't remotely approach the chances of dying from a heart attack, cancer, or another chronic degenerative disease. Furthermore, it is far from clear that the traditional treatment approach to osteoporosis significantly affects the likelihood of a subsequent fracture. The scientific evidence, however, is very clear that supplemental calcium often fuels the progression of atherosclerosis, with the expected increased chance of heart attack.

If the above does not convince you that supplemental calcium, with very rare exceptions, should be completely avoided, at least start tracking your calcium accumulations. The coronary artery CAT scan should show no calcium. Check it. Your heart should not be calcifying. Check your ECHOcardiogram. Hair analysis should not show excess calcium. Check it. If any or all of these tests are positive for calcium, you should be especially concerned about dumping still more supplemental calcium into your blood and body on a daily basis.
    So just to be on the safe side I would suggest she uses straight ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate. Just in case.

I said it wrong. I'm still taking 15grams total but I'm just spreading it out more, like you said to.

Thanks for the help.

MinkyGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Well I guess it could work. I am carefull about using to much calcium in combination with vitamin c because of what is written here(Dr Tom Levy that has written that is the number one vit c expert in the world)
    http://www.tomlevymd.com/archiveissue9.htm

Read it through

So just to be on the safe side I would suggest she uses straight ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate. Just in case.

Yikes. I spent the better part of this morning looking for a maximum calcium dosage and couldn't really find one. She can't take the ascorbic acid since she has a history of ulcers. But if she were to drop both calcium tabs from the doctor (1200mg), then she'd only get 1000mg a day from the calcium ascorbate. The recommended dose for the elderly is 1500mg, so I think she'd be okay. I'll see what kind of calcium she's on now from the doctor. She happens to already have a bottle of this particular type of Vit. C since its easier on her stomach.

I don't worry too much about her being overdosed on calcium. She was a vegetarian for the first 20 or so years of her life and still doesn't eat or drink any dairy products. She drinks soymilk, but makes it herself so its not fortified like the commericial stuff. Actually, the only thing that might be fortified in her diet is the occassional bowl of oatmeal she eats. She grows just about everything else herself, vegetables and fruit.

you can get her on sodium ascorbate aswell. Its also has a neutral ph just like calcium ascorbate

Sounds like she is good to go though

ohh yeah one thing I have forgotten to mention here.

If someone do megadoses for a while you can not just drop down to no vit c at all if you want to stop it. Tapper it down over a week or so otherwise your body will continute to excret it at a accelerated rate and you will get a deficiency.

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    ohh yeah one thing I have forgotten to mention here.

If someone do megadoses for a while you can not just drop down to no vit c at all if you want to stop it. Tapper it down over a week or so otherwise your body will continute to excret it at a accelerated rate and you will get a deficiency.
    thanks for the info. didn't think that far into it, but i'll make sure to do that.

so far, my rotator cuffs are still garbage, but i don't think i've even finished a week yet, so still got a ways to go.

how long did it take for your knees to show the significant improvement they had johan? i'm assuming since the rotators are a more complex joint, the repairs may take longer for me. also, since 10g a day is the most i can handle, might take longer cause of that as well.

farrebarre is offline Anabolic Member
    thanks for the info. didn't think that far into it, but i'll make sure to do that.

so far, my rotator cuffs are still garbage, but i don't think i've even finished a week yet, so still got a ways to go.

how long did it take for your knees to show the significant improvement they had johan? i'm assuming since the rotators are a more complex joint, the repairs may take longer for me. also, since 10g a day is the most i can handle, might take longer cause of that as well.
    bro make sure u do the rehab excersizes for the rotator cuff aswell, i have tendinitis and ive been out of the gym for 11 months now, but since i started rehab ive been alot better over a really short period of time (2-3 weeks), and i hope with the help of our friend johan the chemist ill be back in no time

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farrebarre
    bro make sure u do the rehab excersizes for the rotator cuff aswell, i have tendinitis and ive been out of the gym for 11 months now, but since i started rehab ive been alot better over a really short period of time (2-3 weeks), and i hope with the help of our friend johan the chemist ill be back in no time
    thanks for the info, and i am actually doing rotator cuff exercises once a week right now. i'd fit in more if i could, but right now i just don't have the time and i'm still waiting for some irritation i caused them recently to subside more before messing with them too much.

my problem was i jumped back into working out too fast and my rotators flipped me off and dove into a sewer. so now, they're garbage, but slowly improving. not sure how much the vit c is helping, but they have been noticeably recovering pretty well so far.

if this vit c eventually stops the "popping" i get when moving my rotators certain ways, that will be my personal confirmation that this stuff really works on rotators, cause i've had the "popping" issues since i first started working out about 14 years ago.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information