Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Funny how quickly prioritys changes

Just 6-7 months ago lifting was my life as it had been for well over 3 years. Everythng revolved around it.

But sometime during the summer and fall especialy when I picked upp my university studies again it got all turned uppside down. Now lifting is like one of my lowest prioritys(I still love it and feel that its important but not crucial)and I fully realised that in the grand scheme of things muscle aint all that important realy. Just fun.

When did you come to the point that lifting lost is crucial importance if you ever had megarexia and the muscle obsession and what caused that change.

Not saying btw that there is anything wrong with beeing totaly dedicated to lifting.

needmorestrength is offline Anabolic Member
    well I have lost every girl I dated because of it.. Lost friends due to not being able to spend time.. Lost respect from family and church members.. I have just started seeing a new girl, shes awsome, and I intend to not let it happen again!!!

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Johan, stop being such a pussy and get in the gym

ya_man is offline Member
    about 3 months ago i realized the same, tore a tendon in my left shoulder....so basically, heavy shit, im done with....i have a good base and im more looking for a lean healthy look now

lol giantz remember I take you to school in the deadlift(plz dont mention your squat )

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Knowledge = Power

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    yeah johan...
    get the hell in the gym...
    nah im still an addict.........

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by needmorestrength
    well I have lost every girl I dated because of it.. Lost friends due to not being able to spend time.. Lost respect from family and church members.. I have just started seeing a new girl, shes awsome, and I intend to not let it happen again!!!
    i knoww what u and johan mean, alot of my nights i find myself staying in at night instead of going out w/ freinds to bars and clubs just so i can do morning cardio not hung over or tired as hell. but this lifestyle helps me cause now im not getting drunk and staying out all night and missing classes the next day. for me it puts order and responsibility into my life. plus i feel good when i know i wont ever be the typical fat ass eaten bk or other fast food shit.

mmmmmm fast food

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    lol giantz remember I take you to school in the deadlift(plz dont mention your squat )
    i take you both back to school..............

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i'll neve quit it's my first love, i mean how could you really give up i know guys that work 12hr days and still hit the weight 5-6 days a week, IMO it's either sink or swim, i have never lost a girl/frieds due to lifting i tell the chicks i date that if you interfear with my workouts then it's goona be a problem, and mojority of my friends lift so no problem there, and the only thing my family dont like is that im always eating clean so i never eat with them, i say it's my life and im gonna do what i wanna do, you gotta find time to do the things you love..

Quote Originally Posted by collar
    i take you both back to school..............

you got mutant genetics so you dont count

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    i'll neve quit it's my first love, i mean how could you really give up i know guys that work 12hr days and still hit the weight 5-6 days a week, IMO it's either sink or swim, i have never lost a girl/frieds due to lifting i tell the chicks i date that if you interfear with my workouts then it's goona be a problem, and mojority of my friends lift so no problem there, and the only thing my family dont like is that im always eating clean so i never eat with them, i say it's my life and im gonna do what i wanna do, you gotta find time to do the things you love..

yeah I didnt mean I would quit. Just like previously lifting was THE most important thing in my life. Now its just a fun thing in my life that no longer gets to dictate how I live to the extend it used to do before.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Yeah I was only big on lifting when I wanted to get rid of my drug depleted body. After I filled out a bit (but still a far cry from being big) I wasn't as obsessed. Now lifting is really a very small part of my life. I still do it every other day, and I still love learning about diet, new training possibilities, and aas but it doesn't control my life. My life revolves around much more than lifting.

That's just the way I see things, I love helping people with what I know and have experienced as I love learning from those with more knowledge and who have experienced more than I. The biggest thing that lifting does for my life is give me an easy outlet to release stress. If it's been a rough day, I go to the gym and an hour later feel great. That's the major role it plays for me. I have no aspirations to be really big or even to be considered a big guy. No ambition to compete, no desire to be the mammoth that everyone has to walk around. But still I have no problem with the people who choose to be that way, we each choose our own paths in life, and frequently those paths take turns we never anticipated, but that's life and part of what makes it great.

you have a nice way of putting things symatech

max2extreme is offline Anabolic Member
    yea same here...i lost a lot of ambition when i got injured. I do still go to the gym 2x a day but its not the same. before i wanted to be the biggest and strongest and was pretty intense in the gym. now im more wanting to get in shape to be a "specimen" for myself for personal training and opening my gym. people need visuals, and if you are fat and weak, they assume you arent a good pt or you're lazy and dont follow what you teach, so why should they follow what you teach. and you know, its funny, people see that you have visible abs and they think you are an encyclopedia of teaching knowledge. so im working on becoming an encyclopedia...*smile*

could be too we are getting older and our test is lowering... so we dont have that drive. man, that sucks.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I have realized lately my prioritys r fvcked up. I spend WAY too much time here..im addicted as hell..as a lot of you know. My diet isnt even that great. My grades suck. Pretty much I need to start making better grades and spend less time here..but who am I kidding this is far too addicting. All I do is whore one forum..then jump to another and do the same.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    you're right johan there are far more important things in life than lifting weights... like ho's, money, and expensive cars.

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    Like anyone else here I was juicing...haven't for a while now. My prostate started aching...so started on Proscar and decided to take a break from juicing. Next thing you know I meet the girl...get engaged and start talking family. I don't see AS being a part of my again any time soon. What's more important...being big/lean...or healthy children.

As far as working out goes...I have stopped completely. Why? Work. I focused on my career and am now caught in the fast lane...I have my signal light on...but the traffic is keeping me in that lane. I guess with a wedding next year...I need the money. But at what price? My health? I eat crappy food on the road and I don't work out anymore. I've lost muscle and gained fat. Not healthy. I'm going to turn it around soon. I have to...for mind, body, and soul.

I think what I'm getting to is this...we all have new and different stages in our life. We all start realizing other priorities and start adjusting our lives accordingly. Are we wrong for doing so? I don't think so. Some of us go back to what we know...some of us never do. Some of us look to the past...some of us dream of the future. If you can wake up in the morning...look in the mirror and be happy...then you have made the right life choice.

Lifting will always be there...your youth and health won't. Never take them for granted. Keep in shape for your own reasons...but focus on building the mind too. Remember this.....nerds run the world...not powerlifters.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Money Boss Hustla
    Like anyone else here I was juicing...haven't for a while now. My prostate started aching...so started on Proscar and decided to take a break from juicing. Next thing you know I meet the girl...get engaged and start talking family. I don't see AS being a part of my again any time soon. What's more important...being big/lean...or healthy children.

As far as working out goes...I have stopped completely. Why? Work. I focused on my career and am now caught in the fast lane...I have my signal light on...but the traffic is keeping me in that lane. I guess with a wedding next year...I need the money. But at what price? My health? I eat crappy food on the road and I don't work out anymore. I've lost muscle and gained fat. Not healthy. I'm going to turn it around soon. I have to...for mind, body, and soul.

I think what I'm getting to is this...we all have new and different stages in our life. We all start realizing other priorities and start adjusting our lives accordingly. Are we wrong for doing so? I don't think so. Some of us go back to what we know...some of us never do. Some of us look to the past...some of us dream of the future. If you can wake up in the morning...look in the mirror and be happy...then you have made the right life choice.

Lifting will always be there...your youth and health won't. Never take them for granted. Keep in shape for your own reasons...but focus on building the mind too. Remember this.....nerds run the world...not powerlifters.
    Damn Straight we do.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    When did you come to the point that lifting lost is crucial importance if you ever had megarexia and the muscle obsession and what caused that change.
    I ran out of time for the gym about a year ago, when I started putting my shiny new business together. When it gets up and running on its own, then I'll get back in the groove again. For all practical purposes, nothing is more important than a good workout, except for getting this thing put together . . .

Meantime, I have a guy working for me who seldom goes to the gym, but is a genetic mutant. He eats junk, smokes like a chimney, but is huge, with about 5% bf. Really pisses me off, too . . .

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm not gonna lie lifting was never a real priority in my life. I was very intense about it and still am but the burning desire has faded a little bit. I did it mainly to help me gain strength for my sambo competitions but to be honest I dont even like competing anymore. i did it for so long it just bores me now and costs a ton of money and really isnt worth the time and effort I put into it. It's time for me to get career oriented and get my head on straight and think about the future and leave the kiddy shit in the past. If working out ever hampered the success in my life I would drop it in a heartbeat. My first love is my life and where it's going and if I have to leave lifting to push forward in my life at a faster pace then so be it.

HULKBOY is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    i knoww what u and johan mean, alot of my nights i find myself staying in at night instead of going out w/ freinds to bars and clubs just so i can do morning cardio not hung over or tired as hell. but this lifestyle helps me cause now im not getting drunk and staying out all night and missing classes the next day. for me it puts order and responsibility into my life. plus i feel good when i know i wont ever be the typical fat ass eaten bk or other fast food shit.

lifting seems to be the priority for me only when there is no exam i need to be crammin for. i try the stayin at home thing but then i always feel im missin out on LIFE and experiences and stuff. but i know guys who get shit faced every night who maintain a better gpa than mine just because they dont worry about getting in their meals or mising a work out they just have time to study.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HULKBOY
    lifting seems to be the priority for me only when there is no exam i need to be crammin for. i try the stayin at home thing but then i always feel im missin out on LIFE and experiences and stuff. but i know guys who get shit faced every night who maintain a better gpa than mine just because they dont worry about getting in their meals or mising a work out they just have time to study.
    i see what ur saying, the way i do it basically is do my school work and training during the week, then reward myself by going out on the weekends. unfortunatly im not one of those people that can go out all the time and still hold a good gpa, i learned that the first semester of last year when i drank and went out every night and got straight d's. i dont have to get drunk and laid everyday, but every weekend is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    i see what ur saying, the way i do it basically is do my school work and training during the week, then reward myself by going out on the weekends. unfortunatly im not one of those people that can go out all the time and still hold a good gpa, i learned that the first semester of last year when i drank and went out every night and got straight d's. i dont have to get drunk and laid everyday, but every weekend is nice.
    true dat

decadbal is offline Banned
    ive never looked at it as something i had to do, just something i love.. honeslty the last year ive been burnt out tho.. im startin to get back into it.. after a good friend of mine MWC passed away, i started gettin mentally beat up by myself about why am i doing this to my body and so on, but now i am gettin back to where i used to be

icedudez is offline Member
    lol id say im obsessed!

Z-Ro is offline Senior Member
    I have been told many times that I work out too much and don't make other things my top priority. This may have been very true in the past but being away at college taught me to get my butt in gear. I'd rather study and work out and not be Mr. Popular, but thats just me. Sometimes I get off of work and just come home and rest to build up more stamina to go work out and basically work out for two hours or so. It has definatley affected my relationships with my friends both girls and guys and my dating. I'm not bragging I'm not the biggest guy here but I'm happy with the progress I've made with my age. I enjoy working out and sometimes I don't feel like working out to be honest but I sort of see it as work. If you were tired of going to work would you just not go? I think the answer is no. Being healthy physically is important as being healthy mentally and both ways around. So IMO lift weights but don't go hard on yourself if you mess up and eat bad or go out on the weekends. You only live once my friends and its not like you gotta be swole tomorrow, most of us have years to get to our wanted physiques so take your time, I know sometimes I regret not going out and I plan to attempt to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Ro
    I have been told many times that I work out too much and don't make other things my top priority. This may have been very true in the past but being away at college taught me to get my butt in gear. I'd rather study and work out and not be Mr. Popular, but thats just me. Sometimes I get off of work and just come home and rest to build up more stamina to go work out and basically work out for two hours or so. It has definatley affected my relationships with my friends both girls and guys and my dating. I'm not bragging I'm not the biggest guy here but I'm happy with the progress I've made with my age. I enjoy working out and sometimes I don't feel like working out to be honest but I sort of see it as work. If you were tired of going to work would you just not go? I think the answer is no. Being healthy physically is important as being healthy mentally and both ways around. So IMO lift weights but don't go hard on yourself if you mess up and eat bad or go out on the weekends. You only live once my friends and its not like you gotta be swole tomorrow, most of us have years to get to our wanted physiques so take your time, I know sometimes I regret not going out and I plan to attempt to change that.

I think i got what your sayin but isnt a part of being mentally fit not bein a recluse like ya said ya only live once and if you really think you can go pro or somethin than stay home if it makes you feel good but if you dont plan to be a pro then get out bud your only in college once man and these are supposed to be the best years of our lives man.
    sorry for the long post but i had this said to me once when i started to become reclusive and obsessed w/gettin big a while ago.

Prol is offline Associate Member
    Well i'm obsessed with my family my gf and my kid ............everything i do is for them .....i been working since i was 13 and thank to God i'm very well off compared to alot of people .......i have my own contracting company,house,and car's ........i had to give up alot of things though ........i have about 3 friends that i see like once a month........and most of my friends don't get me cause they don't know what responsability is they are more worried about the next xbox or car rims than anything is .............i don't go out much cause i hate clubs bcuase i never had the chance to go when i was younger(had to work and to many people together....hate that )........when i go out it's to small bars ..............working out for me is like at 5th place but i love it ....its like my alone time ........to throw away all the stress and anger i build up during the day ..................My advice for anyone would be to enjoy life to the fullist while you can cause you don't know when responsibility is going to creep up on you .

Thread Information