RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member

Abscess from a Tetanus shot?

OK heres the story: My wife got a Tetanus shot in her arm on Saturday. Now there is a huge red lump and it hurts her, Anyone know anything about this? Its been a long time since I got a shot (from the doctor) but I don't remember this ever happening. Could it be an abscess? She got the shot from the ER. Anyone who's been to an ER in LA County knows why that little tidbit is important. Tomorrow, I am making her go to our regular doctor to get it checked out. I hope its nothing.

tryingtogetbig is offline Whiney Member
    Hey Ron, over the xmas holidays my damn bird dog bit me and I had to get a tetnus shot. It did swell a little and they had advised me when I was getting it that it could do this. It was pretty tender (about like 2cc's of juice for the first time now that I think about it) for about 2 or 3 days. I don't remember mine being really red though, just a little. Sounds like you are doing the right thing and taking her to the doctor just to be safe. Let us know what the outcome is. Tell her we all said "Good Luck".

peace,

ttgb

RON
    What's worrying me is she said the lump was hard and its about the size of a baseball. On top of all that she is sick now but, waiting in the ER for 12 hours with a bunch of sick people could cause that. (I'm not even gonna get in to what a nightmare of a wait it was)

BTW my wife got a sliver of metal in her foot and had to have it cut out. She's fine now except for this lump in her arm.

Shit bro, I was just rereading your post. The shot was on Saturday - 4 days ago. Mine didn't hurt no more than 3 days max (I mean it was gone at the end of day 3). Baseball? Damn dude, I would be nervous too. Do ya'll (texas thing) have any of the minor emergency places? I went to one of those last year when I was sick. They gave me a pager and paged me about 30 minutes before they were ready for me. Worked out a whole lot better than sitting in ER room. I know where you are coming from with that. I hate sitting in there with all the sick people - it's not their fault granted, but it does suck! The only thing worse is being the sick one waiting. By no means am I a doc, but it does sound like she has an infection of some kind - I know you prolly already knew that, but I think you are right. Get her to the doc. Good Luck with all of it.

peace,
    ttgb

RON
    Thanks for the help bro. I called her doctor and he said to take her to the ER (damn HMO doctors). I am taking her to my old family Doctor. He's not on our insurance plan but I trust him and I can call him and he'll fit me in somehow.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Could be an illergic reaction possibly?

RON
    Could be. I asked her if she needed a Tetanus shot. She said she didn't remembering ever having one. She's 25 though, I would think she has had at least one in her life. Guess I won't know what it is for sure until tomorrow

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Tetanus shot are NOTORIUOSLY painful. I have had a shot and it felt like I was slugged by a baseball bat.

I am not a medical expert, but from what I recall, tetanus vaccine is just a weakened form of the infectious agent. So yes, she does have an infection--she is supposed to. By fighting that infection she will develop an immunity to tetanus in the future.

------------ From Medline.com ------------------

POSTIMMUNIZATION SYMPTOMS AND CARE
    The provider who gives the tetanus immunization may recommend measures to reduce normal postimmunization symptoms. Acetaminophen (or ibuprofen) may be recommended to reduce fever and soreness. Some providers recommend a dose be given just prior to the injection to help avert common, minor side effects. Warmth (such as a warm, damp cloth or a heating pad) may reduce soreness. Frequently moving or using the arm or leg that has received the injection is recommended and often reduces the soreness.

Adults who receive the Td or T vaccine (particularly if received more often than every 10 years) may experience a considerable amount of soreness and swelling at the injection site, lasting for 2 or 3 days.

CALL THE PRIMARY HEALTH CARE PROVIDER IF

Uncertain whether tetanus-containing immunization should be given (see delay or contraindications).
    Complications or severe symptoms develop after tetanus immunization, including seizures, fever above 105 degrees F, difficulty breathing or other signs of allergy, shock or collapse, or uncontrolled crying that lasts for more than 3 hours at a time.
    Other symptoms develop after the tetanus immunization.
    There are other questions or concerns about tetanus immunization.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are worried, call the ER and ask if it's normal.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Bump for more replies.

bump!!!

Ron, give us an update bro. What did the doctors say? How is she feeling now?

Ajax, thanks for the futher info on the tetnus shot. I wasn't sure exactly why they gave that shot.

peace,

ttgb

RON
    Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I was worrying for nothing. The doctor said it was normal. The lump was huge though. Plus the fact that she got it at the ER and it was probably rushed. Oh well I guess I'll know better next time.

It's better to be safe than sorry!! Especially with a loved one. I get the same way bro. Very glad to hear things worked out good.

peace,

ttgb

Thread Information