radar1234 is offline Member

what do u think of this car??

me and my girl are goin to test drive 1 today. we do alot of commuting and these are hybrids.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do u think of this car??-prius_mainlg.jpg  

its a toyota prius.

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    those hybrids are kinda strange looking like my sister chihuahua. as much as the gas mileage would help i don't think i could convince myself to buy one of those.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I don't like them but that's just my opinion if your looking for great gas mileage then great there you go.

MuckDog is offline Senior Member
    thats actually the most stylish one ive seen yet. i have no clue why they dont make them 'more appealing' as their main purpose is awesome

it does have a 4 cylinder 16 valve duel overhead cam in it. supposably they go like stink. it also is equiped with navigation and blue tooth tech. its onlt 32k Can.

another pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do u think of this car??-bg_intro_e.jpg  

diponyou is offline Associate Member
    there a very good investment if you drive alot but i couldnt see myself driving one

i drive a z28 camaro

HULKBOY is offline Member
    do it man those things are pimp id drive one but my dad wont buy one for me. hybrids are like the smart thing to do now 10 years from now i bet everyone will have a hybrid. I'd say go for it man.

icedudez is offline Member
    i dont thnk there a good idea, how many people have these and enjoy them?!

icedudez is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HULKBOY
    do it man those things are pimp id drive one but my dad wont buy one for me. hybrids are like the smart thing to do now 10 years from now i bet everyone will have a hybrid. I'd say go for it man.
    negative...i thnk a lot of people will, those that don't enjoy driving in my opinion, i reckon they are only for " sunday driver's"

Quote Originally Posted by icedudez
    negative...i thnk a lot of people will, those that don't enjoy driving in my opinion, i reckon they are only for " sunday driver's"
    im goin to drive it in about an hour. ill tell u if it is for "sunday drivers".

Quote Originally Posted by icedudez
    sunday drivers please people that have to commute need to think seriosly about these hybrids. ill leave the sunday driving up to my jacked up ford bronco that gets 7 MPG. and ill only be doin that like once every 2 weeks cause its an arm and leg just to fill that bitch up.

does he look like a sunday driver? lool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what do u think of this car??-2002_toyota_prius_rally_2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by HULKBOY
    sunday drivers please people that have to commute need to think seriosly about these hybrids. ill leave the sunday driving up to my jacked up ford bronco that gets 7 MPG. and ill only be doin that like once every 2 weeks cause its an arm and leg just to fill that bitch up.
    i hear ya

MASTER is offline "I Own You"
    good car for the job and money, but ugly as ****!

ThePump is offline Member
    i don't think those are very appealing to the eyes... the wheels just seem too small and it seems to compact looking. check out the civic hybrids... there sweet ass looking cars and there hybrids.. like 55 miles per galon or something crazy like that

a rally style prius,nice....

but that prius prolly has around 100,000 into it so dont expect to muscle that thing around cuz thats about 100% what it wasnt made for.expect it to be very slow,very slow

chest6 is offline Banned
    couldnt see myself driving one..prolly couldnt fit..when i drove the infinity G35 I had to open the sunroof if i sat straight up..and like scrunch down normally haha
    at least their fuel efficient

i was seriosly gonna get one when the honda hybrids first came out but i didnt have to commute that much my dad wouldnt help me out. now that i commute(to work for my dad) i wish i had one cause it costs me like 100 bucks like every 5 days to fill up my bronco. I WISH I HAD A HYBRID.
    hybrids may not be that fun to drive but they certainly make more dam sense

Powering the new Prius are a 78-horsepower, 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine and a 67-horsepower electric motor. The electric motor makes its horsepower from 1200 to about 1500 rpm, whereas the gasoline engine produces peak power at about 5000 rpm. The two powerplants work well together, with the torquey electric motor boosting low-rpm acceleration and the gasoline engine taking over at higher revs.

james21 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radar1234
    me and my girl are goin to test drive 1 today. we do alot of commuting and these are hybrids.
    Its a piece of shit

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    i bet that thing does 0 to 60 in 3 seconds.

off a cliff. Whats its crash test ratings and stuff? Safety First! Get a volvo!

punchrf is offline Anabolic Member
    looks like some kind of retarded shark to me for some reason.

NYGIANTS21 is offline Senior Member
    Hybrid cars are starting to mess up and they are new so all the querks and sh** has not been taking out yet, so a lot of them are messing up and all. good luck with yours though. I am not trying to discourage you from buying one but my brother is a mechanic and he sees a lot of them coming in now and a lot of mechanics don't know how to work on them yet because they are too new. so you will have to go back to the dealer and get ripped off.

we test drove it last night and it was alright. felt ok at 140 km/h on the highway. i just didnt like the overall look of it. honda has a civic hybrid that looks alot nice.

I'd wait a bit bro...

As NYG is saying they are too new and haven't been debugged enough yet.

Also remember that the Canadian climate is MURDER on a cars electrical system. With all the road salt, slush and humidity, electrical connetions take a REAL beating. On a hybrid car with LOTS of electrical stuff thats a big risk.

And remember that in winter, the battery's capacity takes a HUGE dive, what that means is that you are mostly on the gas engine when it's cold (which in Canada means November to may!) Take a look at a lead acid's temperature efficiency curve, below -5c they take a big dive.

On the other hand, those cars do have a vicious acceleration, the electric motor has MUCH higher torque at all RPM levels than a gas engine (which only has high torque in a limited RPM range).

Personally I'd wait a bit...

Red

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    If you like it get it... as far as saving money on gas... it will take you a few years to make up for the loss... the car is over 30 grand... you could buy a fuel efficient car for much cheaper that isn't a hybrid if your main goal is money savings... if your an environmentalist this car is probably the car for you... down the road of course this hybrid technology will be more affordable and a much better buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup
    I'd wait a bit bro...

As NYG is saying they are too new and haven't been debugged enough yet.

Also remember that the Canadian climate is MURDER on a cars electrical system. With all the road salt, slush and humidity, electrical connetions take a REAL beating. On a hybrid car with LOTS of electrical stuff thats a big risk.

And remember that in winter, the battery's capacity takes a HUGE dive, what that means is that you are mostly on the gas engine when it's cold (which in Canada means November to may!) Take a look at a lead acid's temperature efficiency curve, below -5c they take a big dive.

On the other hand, those cars do have a vicious acceleration, the electric motor has MUCH higher torque at all RPM levels than a gas engine (which only has high torque in a limited RPM range).

Personally I'd wait a bit...

Red
    i hear what your saying. we have spoken to a few hybrid owners in calgary and they have had no complaints. the hybrids also come with an 8 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by RJstrong
    If you like it get it... as far as saving money on gas... it will take you a few years to make up for the loss... the car is over 30 grand... you could buy a fuel efficient car for much cheaper that isn't a hybrid if your main goal is money savings... if your an environmentalist this car is probably the car for you... down the road of course this hybrid technology will be more affordable and a much better buy.
    we spend 200$ a month on gas with our present car. 2400 a year(roughly). in the hybrid we would only spend 80$ a month and roughly 960$ a year. after 10 years we would save 18k. thats not a bad deal at all.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    My thoughts on these cars are this; Right now for the small increase in fuel mileage and the higher sticker price it is not worth buying yet.

What do these types of cars cost over a standard car of them same size/quality? $2,000-4,000 maybe more?
    ------
    Honda Accord Value Package - $19,025.00 (from Honda's website)

2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
    MSRP Invoice - $21,275 (from Toyota website)

[the higher end ones show to be a larger difference in overall cost]
    -------
    Now if fuel costs an average of $2.50 a gallon it will take you about 1600 gallons of fuel before you break even and on average MPG you are looking between 35k-48k miles so it might take 2-3 years to break even. Now do you keep your car for longer than that? If so you will start to save money after year 3. Now you have to look at a possible increase in Insurance costs, maintenance costs that might be associated with this type of car. Also what is resell value going to be on a used Hybrid? The cost to replace the batteries are about $1000 I know I would not want to buy a used car that might need them soon afterward.

If they could push MPG to 80-100 then your savings would show up must faster and it would be a better investment but depending on how much you drive and the cost of the car over a regular Honda or Toyota you might be better off sticking with Gas..

Here is a couple of websites that actually say my figures are too low
    http://www.ineed2know.org/hybrid_car...ords&kw=hybrid

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/porta...opDefault.aspx

Just my 2 cents which is not worth all but about 2 pennies.

Oldman

harl is offline Associate Member
    Someone from work has one...there not to bad looking, they kinda look like a civic si hatchback. But for 30k I would definitly get something more worthy like a Subaru STI or a Mitsubitchy Evolution. Paying 30k for a car and getting passed by a Hyundia excel running on 3 cylinders would piss me off.

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I would buy a smart then

RussianVodka is offline Senior Member
    Ugly car, no room for my back, legs & etc.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    lol yes

alphaman is offline Member
    we spend 200$ a month on gas with our present car. 2400 a year(roughly). in the hybrid we would only spend 80$ a month and roughly 960$ a year. after 10 years we would save 18k. thats not a bad deal at all.

You have to figue out what the diff is between the hybrid and the reg car is(monthly). If the diif is more than $120, then the hybrid is worth it. My guess is when you compare features, besides the gas mileage..... you come out better (financially) w/ the non-hybrid. I think the hybrids are for tree huggers, gays, and celebrities!

Let me know, though. I'd be interested in which one actually costs you more $.

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead
    you would never catch me in one......nope not me.

Corporal_USMC is offline New Member
    yeah if your getting a hybrid i would look at the honda's they just look nicer to me.

Thread Information