NYGIANTS21 is offline Senior Member

Any EMT's here??..

I am an EMT-B and was wondering if there was any paramedic's here that can help me out with a question.

anaBROLIC is offline Only The Strong Survive
    failed my first written test and been too lazy to get back into it.

Sucks bro.. sorry to hear that!

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    i work as a ff and just stay on top of my p-skills only to keep my certs current. but i will try to give you an answer. if i know it....go on, whats the ?

Okay i just graduated emt school and was wondering what route to go?
    I want to become a FF/Paramedic. So...
    1. go to paramedic school first then fire standards or
    2. go to fire standards then paramedic?

What do you recommend?

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    you can easily go to p school after being employed as a ff/medic. if you dont need the money, stay in school and get your p........ if i was a young man in early 20s, i would stay in school and get your RN. the fire service is fun and exciting but remember, your work is hazardous and mostly goes unrecognized. good luck bro

Thanks for the advice, bro... another question: FF and gear does it draw attention or do people just turn their heads?

I think i am going to go the fire standards route then paramedic. i want to get some road experience first.

But thanks for the help bro

Quote Originally Posted by NYGIANTS21
    Thanks for the advice, bro... another question: FF and gear does it draw attention or do people just turn their heads?

I think i am going to go the fire standards route then paramedic. i want to get some road experience first.

But thanks for the help bro
    Got my interview for the fire dept coming up!!! I think if anything gear has drawn attention to me in a positive way, the other firefighters I have met so far have all been really cool w/ me and got mad respect for my bodybuilding

Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Got my interview for the fire dept coming up!!! I think if anything gear has drawn attention to me in a positive way, the other firefighters I have met so far have all been really cool w/ me and got mad respect for my bodybuilding
    Good luck bro.. what do they start off for an FF/EMT in the Carolina's?

Good luck bro.. what do they start off for an FF/EMT in the Carolina's?

Oh man, they dont start at jack shit over here. As a fire fighter recruit trainee, that is the first 6 months on the job training, you'll start at $25,700. After 6 months on the job they bump you up to $27,600. From then after the raises are annually, anywhere from 0-4.5% depending on job performance. So thats not too bad of a raise. But I'm looking at it like this. The benefits are killer, you'll have a pention, and your making that money working 2 days out of the week, 24 hrs on and 48 off. So You could easily use this as just your benefits and make more doing your own thing.

Very true i like the whole 24 on 48 off thing, most ff work in the ER department on their off days for more money. Well in florida they do. again good luck bro...keep me updated... oh yea how is the hiring process up there. where i live down here they want more of other races, rather than whites.. no sh** bro

I had an firefighter recruiter tell me this.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    hmmmmmm, i didnt even think about this position. i have been stumped since my deployment to iraq on what i even wanna do. right now im stuck in security as a supervisor. its alright, but doesnt pay what i could be makin. how long would i have to go to school for to become a full time FF?

Very true i like the whole 24 on 48 off thing, most ff work in the ER department on their off days for more money. Well in florida they do. again good luck bro...keep me updated... oh yea how is the hiring process up there. where i live down here they want more of other races, rather than whites.. no sh** bro

I had an firefighter recruiter tell me this.

Well, I had to fill out a big packet of info and get a copy of my high school diploma and 10 year driving record which I had to get notarized. Had to have acopy of my birth certificate and social security card too. Then a month or so after submitting my packet I got a letter about the physical test. Went and took that in August, then a month or so later got another letter about a written test. Went and took that, did pretty good, then got another letter recently congradultaing me on reaching the final phase of the hiring process and word of the interview this week. So so far it's been about 3 or 4 months for the hiring process. There was 84 people in the written test, I'd bet that out of those 84 maybe 60-70 of them did well on the written exam. It's rumored that they're hiring like 35 out of the bunch this time around. Some of them have previous firefighting experience, and have been on a waiting list, so I know they'll probably look at them first. But I smoked the physical exam, I probably got the fastest time out of the 90 guys who took it that day, and I made things like carrying the dummy look easy as hell. So w/ any luck they'll recognize this and pick me. It just sucks because everything is getting so god damn politically correct w/ jobs like this. They have to have so many blacks, and so many whites, blah blah blah, now they got women they need to hire. I'm sorry, but I think the stronger guys who can accomplish the physical tasks need to be looked at first, I dont want no 100 lb woman trying to pull me out of a fire or a car wreck, let alone trying to control a fire hose. It's all about best man for the job in my book. And if a black guy got a better score than me or beat me in the physical test, then they should hire him first. But now according to the fire chief, its not who has the best time or better score, its only a matter of pass or fail, and who has been waiting longer for the job.

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    wow!

Quote Originally Posted by legobricks
    hmmmmmm, i didnt even think about this position. i have been stumped since my deployment to iraq on what i even wanna do. right now im stuck in security as a supervisor. its alright, but doesnt pay what i could be makin. how long would i have to go to school for to become a full time FF?

In Florida the Fire Standards school is almost 4 1/2 months. Monday-Thursday. Sometimes Friday if you mess up on something during the week. But it structured very like the military. Class Commander, Squad leaders and all of that stuff. Where were you in IRAQ? I was there 3 months before the war and throughout the whole war phase, and spent a long time after the war in Baghdad. Before the war we stagged in Jordan.

But I was in the same boat bro, i got back from IRAQ and didn't know what the hell to do with myself and i started to talk to people and met some firefighters and they put me down, into the whole process. Plus with veteran's preference, that will help you out on the hiring process. there is a spot on the app that ask if you are a veteran and if you want to use the veteran pref. good luck bro

so do they keep you there Mon-Thurs, like overnight and shit? Also, do you have any down time at all at night or do they let you leave at all?

The fire Standards schools in florida a lot of them are done at community colleges and private colleges. But the one i plan on attending in Jan. you attend 7:00Am until you are done with everything that day, they say around 6:00 you can go home. and i have to drive about 30 minutes to get there so it is not that bad i guess what was yours like?

The fire Standards schools in florida a lot of them are done at community colleges and private colleges. But the one i plan on attending in Jan. you attend 7:00Am until you are done with everything that day, they say around 6:00 you can go home. and i have to drive about 30 minutes to get there so it is not that bad i guess what was yours like?
    Well I'm pretty sure ours is only 2 1/2 months long but your stuck there Mon- Fri, not positive though. It would be nice if I had some down time at night to workout and see my family, but if not oh well, I'll still get through it.

I think i would rather be stuck there, but i have no family so that would work out for me.

Thread Information