Dont spot somebody if you dont know how!!!!!!!

I was doing squats tonight and I had 510 on the bar. Asked one guy to spot me, he got up to the rack and said "Geez, I've never spotted anybody on this before" I told him to nevermind. Went and asked another dude, he wasnt huge but looked like he had at least some size to him. "Well I havent spotted anybody there in awhile but I know how" he says. Ok, so he stands behind me, I lift off the weight, down 1 rep, then another 2, now on my 4th rep. All I needed the dumb **** to do was apply a little pressure on my chest as I came up w/ the weight, I even tried to show him how I wanted the spot. I dont know if he was homophobic acting or what the **** he was thinking, but he didnt wanna stand too close behind me, so this dumbass stands back like 3 ft and just puts his hands on my pecs doing absolutely nothing. I shouted out "damnit, pull!!" Finally I struggled to get the rep up w/ no help of his. I was supposed to do 5 reps, which I could have done w/ a proper spot, but nope, he ****ed it all up. Same thing happened to me 2 years ago when I got hurt squatting. Some dumbass didnt spot me right and the bar ended up riding up on one side of my collar bone and ****ing my shoulder up for awhile. Some say that you cant blame a guy for trying his best, but I say just be honest and tell me if you dont know what the **** your doing before I start squatting some heavy weight.

dive_kid is offline Anabolic Member
    ya man, that sucks.
    I hate it when people cant admit they dont know what there doing.
    I always assume they have no clue. be carefull bro, dont wanna get f***ed up because of someone else

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm sure each of us has been there...Sucks indeed.

yea man i understand, this guy in my gym likes to do bicep curls with the bar while im benching...

chest6 is offline Banned
    I always tell the person dont be fvckin homophobic im not gay...but you need to stand close to me if I need help. Once a fvcker did that exact same thing and I ended up falling because he was pulling me towards him and not up.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    a good spotter on squats is impotant. alot of people want to help, but really dont know how to spot right. thats why we need to stick together....if i am passing by and i think a bro needs a spot, i ask; and the favor usually gets paid back. but with triples or less I MAKE SURE I KNOW MY SPOTTER. good luck bro...

scriptfactory is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't do heavy squats anymore because:

1) my legs are long as hell and my knees are weak so I can't drop down as far as I need to.

and

2) no one knows how to spot someone doing squats in my gym.

The most I do is 3 plates and I use that as just a warmup for leg press.

manc is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jugo Buen0
    yea man i understand, this guy in my gym likes to do bicep curls with the bar while im benching...
    i had that problem...but then on the other hand theres always the other end of the spectrum,when a guy wants a spot on bench and struggles on the first rep an i do my back in while he keeps going for another an another,when really he needs to drop 50lbs and get at least 6.but he knows best so i avoid him now.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manc
    i had that problem...but then on the other hand theres always the other end of the spectrum,when a guy wants a spot on bench and struggles on the first rep an i do my back in while he keeps going for another an another,when really he needs to drop 50lbs and get at least 6.but he knows best so i avoid him now.
    I would help the person that much. I had a kid try that before..I barely helped him so the rep took like 8 seconds..he freaked out and was like what are you doing? I was like..what are you trying to do that is way too heavy for you. Hes like I workout with this weight everytime its not too heavy..i just laughed and walked off

manc is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    I would help the person that much. I had a kid try that before..I barely helped him so the rep took like 8 seconds..he freaked out and was like what are you doing? I was like..what are you trying to do that is way too heavy for you. Hes like I workout with this weight everytime its not too heavy..i just laughed and walked off

Thread Information