Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Got offered a possible position as bouncer/doorman

A local bar has a security position open, and I know the DJ so he has basically put in good words for me.

I am supposed to go meet the head of security there on Friday.

I have a great full time day job (I am self employed) and I make good money, but I wanted to try this just to get some experience in a different area and try something new. I have zero previous experience bouncing.

This is a bar with a good reputation and a more mature crowd... so stabbings, shootings, etc are not common there.

Should I take up this job if they give me the OK Friday? My relatives hear horror stories about a guy getting thrown out then coming back with 50 guys after the bar closes, etc.

Opinions would be great. Thanks

MuckDog is offline Senior Member
    ive bounced, been a bar tender before...ect....and they are cool jobs. different but u deal with the same shit so to speak. bouncing is ok - you meet a ton of people of course and most of the time people wont mess with you - depending on the place u work at and your demeanor/presence. just dont be a dick and you should be fine

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If it's an upscale place as you described, I say yes.

The old adage about people coming back w/tons of homies, well yes it happens I am sure, but you can avoid that. If you have to force someone out, just clock his ass so hard that he doesn't remember who (what) him him.

You also give yourself a chance to show of your hard work @ the gym w/tons of ladies who are ALREADY intoxicated, so you don't have to worry about gettin' them buzzed to loosen them up.

Seriously though, an upscale bar most likely won't give you the "50 of the homies" situation. Your chances of having to do that are slim, and if it happens I doubt he'll come back w/more people.

~SC~

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    You also give yourself a chance to show of your hard work @ the gym w/tons of ladies who are ALREADY intoxicated, so you don't have to worry about gettin' them buzzed to loosen them up.
    ~SC~
    thats def. a good plus

Booz is online now AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    you will always get the troublesome punters at any bar upscale or not mate!you just gotta know how to deal with them thats all.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    dude like SC said you will meet tons of woman, id take the job

Danbrooks2k is offline Member
    take the job, you wont know until you give it a try...

I have worked security and didnt care for it, i was nice and polite for 6 months, then it really started getting old... I realized I didnt have the temper for it... all it took was one guy to come back and pull out a retractable asp baton for me to go 100% ape-shit.

I think I was justified in hitting him with a stool that the ID checker out front sat on... I guess I should have waited until he wasnt sitting in it to yank it out from under him...

if its upscale it may be really nice... also watch out for drunk chicks they can cause alot more trouble than 2 or 3 guys...

map200uk is offline Anabolic Member
    i currently work as a bouncer, sure trouble happens, but you have to be prepared to deal with it, may be an nice bar but still you get a few twats and a problem can arise

if you have a good team working the venue, who have your back it's fine tho

map

thore is offline Junior Member
    dude, i've been a bouncer, for 5 years now. nice club and all. college town so you get alot of different people. some nights are better than others. ya i have had the 50 plus dudes after us. it's only happened once, but wow what i night. cops helicotar you name it. but most of the time, it's cool. people just come in to have a good time and all. just remember, give everyone the same respect they give you, and you'll be good. if not through there ass out.

oh ya, if your not into, a bunch of loud and idiot drunks, just pray a temper tantrum don't come on. it could get messy. lol

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    hows the pay rate for a bouncer

gymnutt is offline Associate Member
    It's a great job, take it. If you can develop a good rapport with your regulars you will have a lot less problems. If you play it right you can have a great time. Money sucks though. But you do get payed in punnani.

wascaptain5214 is offline Senior Member
    working 2 jobs and training, one will suffer...........good luck bro

bigJJ is offline Member
    It's a fun job, bro. Done it. Hell, I was white boy in East LA doing it! You think the homies didn't fvck with me??

If you have the confidence and will power to stare down a brotha that you know could fvck you up, it's a kick ass job. As for those punks that wanna start shit just for fun? Boxing practice, dude. I know it sounds harsh, but bouncing ain't for the faint of heart. You have to learn when to flex, then walk away. You also have to learn when to jump from peacetime to war (within a moments notice).

On the surface it's a cool gig, but realize (depending on the city and area you are in), you could be getting into real fights once per week. For me, it was at least three, maybe four times per week.

On the plus side, we had handcuffs, Mag Lights and radio's to let the other bouncers know where we were, and what was going down.

Just make sure that the manager takes the security positions seriously. Most do, but some, new, dumbasses don't. Then they wonder why the cops get called every night. The club I ran had no cops called for two years straight. Why? Well.. dude caused trouble, we fvcked him up and let him call his girl to come pick him up.

One fella called his homies... and they came. Picture this... an El Camino full of "gang-bangers" running from a pickup truck full of west-side white boy body builders/kickboxers. Funny stuff.

Fun job, but only for two years for me. Got old after a while. Generally does led to management jobs though.
    Last edited by bigJJ; 11-11-2005 at 08:10 AM.

bigJJ is offline Member
    and if it's a strip clup, you WILL get the girls. no doubt about that

Prada is offline Anabolic Member
    Its a fun job. I worked part-time(Sat and Fri) off/on at clubs, not any more. Its funny because I've never been to a bar not drunk and all of a sudden you see these drunk chicks hitten. It's great because I worked in VIP section so girls would be licken ass and getting the occasional one. You're in a position of power really. It sucks because you cant go out with the boys out anyomre but you pick up more ass and also attend raves.

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danbrooks2k
    I realized I didnt have the temper for it... all it took was one guy to come back and pull out a retractable asp baton for me to go 100% ape-shit.

Geeez dude I said I was sorry for cracking you with that baton that night.. You kicked the shiat out of me then too..

Just kidding.. I have worked in bars before and have lots of scuffles.. most of the time it was fun IF you have a good support staff on security.. If others are pussies and leave you hanging you are in trouble.

I have worked in upscale places and to be honest there were more fights between staff and customers there than at the dive strip clubs.. These yuppy snobs think money makes them tough.

I do have to say in one club I worked at toward the end we started getting real shady people in and several times guns went off in the club.. that was it for me. If I can't carry a 9m in a place like that I will not bounce.

Oldman

brolicscholar is offline Junior Member
    Therein lies the problem, most staff bouncers are there too look intimidating and when the shit hits the fan many guys get left out there. Polska take the job, and try to be courteous but the 1st time some sh!t happens put the person in there place immediately or else you will get walked over. Also you don't need the job it's only supplemental income, so when you are ready to quit.

diezell is offline Senior Member
    if it was a strip club id be all over that job, i wouldnt bounce for anything else from where im at, too much crime for me

Polska is offline Anabolic Member
    It's not a strip club. Last night was my first night. so far so good. I basically got to look at hot girls at night. No fights or trouble last night

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Polska
    It's not a strip club. Last night was my first night. so far so good. I basically got to look at hot girls at night. No fights or trouble last night
    Cool, enjoy the extra $$ and the view

Oldman

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    I've bounced in plenty of bars in Manhattan and Brooklyn......I was most careful in the neighborhood bars/clubs because you dont know who the regulars are at that point and if you have a problem with a regular they will ALL become your problem. It's also extremely important who you work with.....I can tell you horror stories in small bars and quiet stories working in clubs. It all depends on the night dude. The worst place that i ever worked by far was Babalu in Manhattan for some Reggaeton after party for Daddy Yankee and Fat Joe.....I never been in more fights in my life, and that was actually pretty recent. I think it was the night of the Puerto Rican Day parade actually. But I had a great crew that worked with me and we all had each others back. We had headsets on to communicate but those things are such bullshit since you cant even hear anything with them with the music blasting. Anyway just do it for shits and giggles....it can actually be pretty fun if you do it the right way......dont go slugging the shit out of anyone cuz they're out of line. The best weapon you can use honestly is your words....TALKING to a person to calm them down is the best way to difuse a situation in a bar.......in clubs its a whole other ball game of get the ****in guys out of the door as fast as you can.

Thread Information