Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED

Who else trains alone?

I train by myself and for the past 2 years it has annoyed the hell out of me. I feel like I have not progressed as much as I potentially could have because I hardly ever have anyone to spot me. I always use weight I can handle without a spot or try and go slightly heavier. Thats not going to get me BIG. If I get a spot, it's some random yahoo in the gym that'll I'll ask to spot me.

In the past 2 years I have found 2 training partners and they both wimped out on me. They said I train to hard or I push them to much. I've posted here on the board looking for a training partner and still haven't found one. I even ran an ad on craiglist... still nothing. The only guys who replied were newbs wanting me to be their free trainer.

I've gotten so frustrated I'm considering highering a trainer. I found a guy who competes nationally and he wants to charge me $80 a session. That's $1,600 a month. Where do you guys find training partners? Because I sure as hell can't find one!!!!
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I train alone but I go to a gym so I just ask for a spot when I need them. I find training with another person is counter productive for me.

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    I train by myself aswell. I have got use to it but i guess i will never be "BIG". You look massive bro. No wonder you find it hard to find people to spot for you!

stocky121 is offline VET~ Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    i train by myself also everyone who i try to have as a partner are pussy's just not dedicated enough

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Ive trained alone for 8 years now, no waiting, or leaving early or not in the mood todays. Sometimes I pair up with a friend to do a big chest workout , but only couple times a month.

Quote Originally Posted by stocky121
    i train by myself also everyone who i try to have as a partner are pussy's just not dedicated enough
    I'll be your partner bro

Quote Originally Posted by TheMudMan
    I train alone but I go to a gym so I just ask for a spot when I need them. I find training with another person is counter productive for me.
    How do you push past your limits if you're training by yourself?

My thing is, I'm always using weight I can handle or slightly higher. If I do go heavier I do very low reps because I'm afraid of getting stuck with the weight on top of me. It's the worst when I'm squatting. I end up getting stuck at the bottom and have to drop the weight down on the safety bar and crawl from underneath it. I hate doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    I'll be your partner bro

thanx bro i'll hold you to that if i come over your way

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    I train alone...if i train with some1 and they hold me back i kill em

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    I workout alone, cause I find when I workout with someone they are not willing to push as hard as I do. Talking between sets, ****ing with there ipod, all distractions for me.. I now workout in my basement 2 days a week, cause My workouts are a little to hardcore for NYSC.

Same problem I have. They look at me and say "It's not that serious"

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    i just started talking to some real good powerlifters that are in my gym and they were real nice and let me work out with them...they said i could train if i was serious about it so i took up that offer

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos_E
    Same problem I have. They look at me and say "It's not that serious"

just keep looking bro you'll find someone

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    by the way your straight diesel CarlosE....and i think working out with a partner helps you out alot cuz you can push each other....keep lookin for someone with the same goals that you have

Quote Originally Posted by kman
    cause My workouts are a little to hardcore for NYSC.
    You're in NYC???

TRAIN WITH ME!

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member
    I train by myself most of the time because my work/school schedule doesn't correspond with anyone else's. Anyway, Squats are the hardest. On chest day i use either dumbells are i get in the squat rack, put up the bars about an inch above my chest so that if i cant handle the weight they fall on the bars instead of me...

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

My thing is, I'm always using weight I can handle or slightly higher. If I do go heavier I do very low reps because I'm afraid of getting stuck with the weight on top of me. It's the worst when I'm squatting. I end up getting stuck at the bottom and have to drop the weight down on the safety bar and crawl from underneath it. I hate doing that!

I train alone and the power rack is realy my savior. It enables me to go as heavy as I want without ever beeing worried about getting stuck.

just keep looking bro you'll find someone
    I had a pretty big guy respond to my ad on craigslist. He said we can train together then afterwards go to his house get naked and flex.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    I have always, and probably will always train alone. I just do my own thing, and get out of there.

davesuma is offline Associate Member
    i just recently started training with someone, and im making the best gains ever......having someone to help on those last few reps has really helped, and luckily hes dedicated and interested. For the last year and a half i worked out alone, and i hated it because i was afraid to push myself on anything, same reasons you guys are talking about.

I had a pretty big guy respond to my ad on craigslist. He said we can train together then afterwards go to his house get naked and flex.

mahahahahahha

you don't wan't any of that bro unless your want to get some more protein from the meatstick

Quote Originally Posted by davekutrone
    i just recently started training with someone, and im making the best gains ever......having someone to help on those last few reps has really help
    Thats what I'm talking about. I feel I would be bigger and stronger if I had someone there training with me.

davesuma is offline Associate Member
    haha, i'll be in NYC in 5 months for school, i'll go lift with you

oldandgrim is offline Associate Member
    I train alone. When I was a fat boy and decided to get fit. I was going through training partners like one’O. No one had the determination I had and just wonted to talk or wimp out. I soon out grew every one I new. I now have a purpose build gym in my back yard with all pro gear, so now I train and don’t have to wait or get people wonting to talk to me or ask stupid questions. I still have a long way to go to reach my goal but it’s a lot easier now I have my own space.

Training alone rocks.

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    i train alone cos there aint nobody got the motivation. Its always "im too tired" or "ive just finished work" or some other dumbass lame excuse. I did have one guy a year ago who i trained with who was in it for real like me but i moved away from the area so struggle to find a partner now.

I think It is a benefit to have a partner cos on days when ur not motivated they drag you along and vice versa

chest6 is offline Banned
    I like both. I can def. motivate myself so thats not the problem..much like most here. However...I got a good training partner now that is just as serious as I am. Seems like he knows my strength more than I do. Im like..Ill get 6 then I get to 4 and hes like you got 8..get 8. Id workout w ya carlos...but ur too damn far away

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i find it hard as well to find a training partner because sometimes you cant always be at the gym at the same time or sometimes your partner has to cut the workout short because he has to go to work or something so i just do it by my self and ask someone for a spot

amstaf is offline Associate Member
    i have to call every partner ive ever had to see if they are going to lift today or not they never seem as dedicated if they do come they just want to BS around its easier for me to go alone and ask random people for help when i need its hard to find people dedicated to anything realy except drinking coffee and soda

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer

I ask for spots......... in the last 3 years I went from 165lbs to just over 200lbs...... I have used anabolics but not a lot so I feel I'm making very good gains training this way.

Swifto is offline Banned- Scammer!
    I prefer to train alone. Can go at my own pace.

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I train alone and just ask for spots from the trainers at the desk. I wish I had a training partner to push me when I did I got the best results.

solid-d is offline Member
    i train alone too.. I can do what I want and dont have to be like, 'I dont care Il do those exercises instead'.. Last year I had a partner, and yes there good on the days you dont want to go to the gym, but then again they can bring down your pumped up days.. Also this buddy of mine was trying to go heavey and trying to match me, so I wasnt going super heavey to make it think like he was catching up.. then I just said F it and went heavey, then he quit.. Which I had a feeling that he was gonna cause of that reason.. And this guy is 6'5, 240lbs... Im 5'8" and 165ish.. But main reason I train solo is cause its easier and no one else goes to the gym when i go because of work

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    I use to train alone and that was the strongest I've ever been until I tore my rotator cuff.

Mizfit is offline Banned
    alone

Smiley619 is offline Member
    i train alone but, not by choice.my training partner became a personal trainer so he does nothave the time for me anymore! but yeah its damn hard to find some1 witht he same didication as you and are willing to be there.

Carlos, surely there is someone on the board who lives in your area that you could train with?

SnaX is offline Anabolic Member
    I've trained alone since i was 12, and when someone offers to go with me, they end up distracting me. Im in a completely dedicated mood, and when tey aren't..I loath their existance.....

Training alone isn't bad, and if someone else is, and they ask for a spot, I'm more than willing to help.

Because i have Leet muscles :P

candyman md is offline Junior Member
    I have been training alone for around 5 years. If I felt at any time, say for squats or bench, that I needed a spot, I would go at night time to the gym. I know when the "big" guys would be there. Well they think they are big. It is not how much you lift it is how you lift it. I have been doing 60 secs rest between sets on everything for the past year and I couldn't be happier with how it has turned out. Good luck! A good training partner is hard to find.

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    Theres two guys at my gym who are always willing to spot me, theyre into the whole bodybuilding thing too, so it works out. One of them is always in there at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    Carlos, surely there is someone on the board who lives in your area that you could train with?
    I've PMed a few guys on here and either they already had training partners or they did not train in Manhattan or they just didn't want to. I've PMed at least 10 guys here in the past few months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information